mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Grand Canyon AL 7.9

Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon AL 29 7.9

I think this will be my next bike, I've never ridden a 29er, but am pretty sold on the idea for a hardtail, and for what I will be using the bike for while I am living in Germany. 1300 Euros is about the most that I can spend.

Do any of you have experience with this brand, or notice anything specifically terrible about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Singletrack Forum

Plenty of owners of Canyons over there....

Likely to be less on here as many/most posters are US based on this forum, with it being a European bike, they've sold a lot more in Europe/UK.

The above forum is 99% UK based.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have a look at the bikes and gear section on Bikeradar.com

they have some reviews of Canyon stuff and they have a recent review of the 9.9

General views are that they are a great bike and that the spec level for the price is excellent (they were offering the Fox CTD forks before most others)

Bikes - Reviews, Gear, News & Features - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've got my eyes on this one too. But I havent ridden any 29er, so I'm also considering a 26 version

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's really good specc for the money as its been pointed out. I owned it for a couple of months before it got stolen.

What i liked about it was how ferociously it climbed. Brakes were ok, but i didn't trust them too much as it takes a while to stop you. Fork on downhill is really nice, but i still prefer it stiff when climbing and the CTD model didn't seem too stiff even on the climb setting.

Other than that, nothing i can complain of. If i hadn't set my mind on a full suspension bike now, id definitely get another grand al 29.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sumi your Canyon was stolen?? Ugh....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I always that they looked like great bikes, but they aren't available here in the states.

The Topeak/Ergon racing team uses Canyon bikes, but that is about all I know about them...

Have any local shops that stock them? Try and demo one and see what you think for yourself.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Eurobike 2011 Demo Day Report: Canyon "Grand Canyon AL 29"
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Grand Canyon CF SLX 29 8.9
    The carbon version is worth a serious look. TransAlp winner and due for first ship in 5-6 weeks. 6 year warranty.