mtbr member

Got my Mutinyman

My original order was for a flat-bar and shock, but Matt convinced me that rigid and a drop-bar was the way to go. For having never having ridden an off-road drop bar before, I have to say that the handling and fit was spot-on. I didn't think anything could top my Ute until I rode this bike. Matt knows his stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

used to be uno-speedo....
    Very smooth looking! Nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

congrats....

riding a bike set up properly around drops and rigid is an awakening, matt's probably the only one left who really knows how (not saying no one else does, so don't start letting the posts fly). he did not have to talk me into it. riding steep, tight singletrack properly set up is just unreal, especially fixed gear.

rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by subluxation
    riding a bike set up properly around drops and rigid is an awakening, matt's probably the only one left who really knows how (not saying no one else does, so don't start letting the posts fly). he did not have to talk me into it. riding steep, tight singletrack properly set up is just unreal, especially fixed gear.

rick
    Hey Rick,

Sorry for the slight side-track but how do you find your forks under heavy breaking? Mine "flutter" quite a bit to the point where it really wobbles the front end They use Reynolds 531ST blades so I don't think its going to fall apart...just wondering if Neo-Retros / Kool Stop Salmon / Skinny forks is a bit overkill!

OK, back the the scheduled program...

Great looking bike Scott, drops are sooo much nicer off road and Matt IS the king of set-up.

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Another slam dunk! Matt's drop-bar bikes look just right. Have fun with it!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Choice bike. How close is the overlap? Not sure if that's the ticket for me but I love the purity of the whole thing.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

I like endos

forget the drop bars!

A 29er with v brakes? Did hell freeze over? JK. I like Vs.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yep, mine does.

i noticed that too, typically under hard braking in singletrack, i just figured it was the supple fork combo'd with the brake pads being a bit grabby and figured it would settle in after the pads wear in a bit. does yours seem grabby after the pads wear some?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Hey Rick,

Sorry for the slight side-track but how do you find your forks under heavy breaking? Mine "flutter" quite a bit to the point where it really wobbles the front end They use Reynolds 531ST blades so I don't think its going to fall apart...just wondering if Neo-Retros / Kool Stop Salmon / Skinny forks is a bit overkill!

Great looking bike Scott, drops are sooo much nicer off road and Matt IS the king of set-up.

Alex

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    That’s a nice ride, super clean and purpose built.

I’d love to try a bike built for dirt drops. I have tried the bars but haven’t ever been able to get them set up properly on the bikes I tried them on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Fork Flutter

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Hey Rick,

Alex
    Alex -

I've had the same problem running a kinesis fork with neo retros on my indie rock. The flutter is very disturbing. I thought that perhaps it was the light weight kinesis, but it probably the neo retros being over kill.

Scott - nice build!

- Bill

Needed Less ~ Did More

Thanks!

Rick and Bill,

Thanks for the info, glad its not just me and my 140# bulk Guess I might live with it (and change to some "worse" pads!) and try to ride smoother.

I have started playing about with BikeCAD (quiet day...) and looking at building a drop-bar specific frame that I can transplant 90% of my stuff over to (the other 29er frame, fork, bar and stem can be samples to show people)

Damn you all

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Sweet, sweet, saweeeeeet.

Gotta love a classic MC.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Let me ask my wife

Good job!

I'm a sucker for a Chester, that's beautiful.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

those are Rollercams...
    Scott and Rick,

Absolutely gorgeous bikes. What fork and stem are you running there Rick?

Must resist contacting Matt, must resist contacting Matt....

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

cantis are an option

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    I like Vs too. Matt put a canti guide on the frame in case I want to run some old school Shimano XT2 canti brakes that I got from Harris Cyclery. Some of the rides in northern AZ can be muddy in summer.

The guide sorta reminds me of the Ibis hand job.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Let me guess, It WAS worth the wait, correct?

Scoty
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member

worth the wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Let me guess, It WAS worth the wait, correct?

Scoty
    Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member

ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    nothing against disc's, i just like v's too. so nice to see someone else go custom and choose v's. my 26in curtlo is v specific, no regrets.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nice bike - what bar?

Great set up just wanted to know the bar stem combo?

mtbr member

bar & stem combo

Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    Great set up just wanted to know the bar stem combo?
    I'm running a Midge bar with a Salsa MotoAce SUL 130mm x 115'.

breathing helium
    MC's bikes get me every time. Congrats! It's like art you can ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fork specs

Quote Originally Posted by subluxation

rick
    that ia amazing bike. what specs is the fork

mtbr member

it's a Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson
    that ia amazing bike. what specs is the fork
    Matt ordered me a Kelly so I would have good clearance with the bigger tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Damn!

I love drop bar dirt bikes and these two are some of the nicest I've seen in a while. The retro brake levers add a nice touch too! I'm definitely feeling the itch to trade in my cross bike for one of the Chester master pieces...maybe next fall.
    So how's the ride????

mtbr member

the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by l-dub1
    I love drop bar dirt bikes and these two are some of the nicest I've seen in a while. The retro brake levers add a nice touch too! I'm definitely feeling the itch to trade in my cross bike for one of the Chester master pieces...maybe next fall.
    So how's the ride????
    The brakes just look retro...they're Dia-Compe 287-v's which are designed to accommodate linear-pull brakes. I had Matt add a canti stop to the non-drive seat stay so I can switch it over to cantis and standard levers for mud-handling duties.

I've gotten in a few rides and have since lower the stem down to a single 10mm spacer so I can swap in a cable hanger if needed. The ride is very quick and responsive. It reminds me of my old Fat Ti in how it responds to body lean. The bike doesn't require much steering input in the corners, which is a good thing since there is some toe overlap. My shoe gets buzzed on occasion, but this is more than outweighed by the benefits of quick handling.

I had Matt increase the bottom bracket height to clear all the rocks out here in Phoenix. I used to live in Virginia, so I like having the higher BB. Cranks are Race Face square-taper 175mm.