Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Captain Climber

Got $1000... Which is best bike for the money?

Like the title says, I have $1000 and want to buy a bike. It doesn't have to be a 29er but more than likely that is probably what it should be. I live in Florida and ride for fun and exercise. It will need to be an XC type bike I would assume.

So far, I don't see how anybody can beat the deal Airborne is offering on their Goblin right now: Airborne Bicycles. Goblin but I really don't know so I would love to hear your recommendations and opinions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Singletracks just had an article about the "best bang for your buck" bicycles and the Goblin and Seeker were both in there.

I'm a FL boy as well, but travel a lot w/ the military. I ride a Seeker w/ a 50mm stem, carbon handlebars/seatpost and I absolutely love it. With the money I've put in it, a Goblin would've been the way to go.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
    '14 Airborne Seeker
    '
    09 MINI Cooper S

Captain Climber
    Cool Ta87... Do you have a link to that article?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you want it pretty much ready to go, bikes direct or airborne are hard to beat. But if you have the ability, piecing together a bike is another option if youre willing to wait for deals. Now is a good time to shop with black friday and end of season sales here.
    • HomeBrew 26er - Epicon/x9/x7/Deore/XT
    • Motobecane 550HT
    • 24" Sapient Cruiser
    • 20" Eastern BMX

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    If you want it pretty much ready to go, bikes direct or airborne are hard to beat. But if you have the ability, piecing together a bike is another option if youre willing to wait for deals. Now is a good time to shop with black friday and end of season sales here.
    Wow... That is surprising... I'd love to build my own but just don't think I got ever build out a bike with the Goblins specs that inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Buyer’s Guide: Budget Hardtail Mountain Bikes | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Jem7sk: See above.

From what I gather on this forum, and it's a strong point, you'll never get the discounts that major factories get so you'll have to weigh the cost of the bike you purchase vs the bike you build to your specs, but pay a little bit extra.

It's a vague answer, but the point is to get you thinking which route you take.
    '14 Airborne Seeker
    '
    09 MINI Cooper S

Captain Climber
    Thx... IMO the two Airborne bikes are untouchable from that list. Now that they have them at more than a $200 discount with free shipping and 6 month financing I am going to get the Goblin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Do you have a link to that article?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Craigslist....buy used
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

mtbr member
    Goblin...what a smokin' deal! All my road bikes I buy used as you can find dusty new ones for pennies on the dollar on CL; mtn bikes its more important to get the exact bike for you...still good deals to be found used...many bikes are purchased new, ridden once and mothballed for a future sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well, a quick rundown of what can be found if you hunt long enough for deals

$??? - Frame
    $350 - RS Reba + headset
    $99 - x7 shifters and derailleurs on ebay (new)
    $99 - x7 crankset
    $50 - 1050 cassette
    $100+ - wheelset
    $20 - CST caballero steel bead tires
    $100 - deore m615 brakes
    $7 - Avid HS1 rotors
    $25 - pick a stem
    $25 - pick some bars
    $20 - FSA gravity light seatpost
    $10 - vader saddle
    $5 - unbranded locking grips
    $3 - AEST seat clamp

Thats give or take 900 bucks plus whatever you want to spend on a frame.

Or bike island has a couple frame and fork combos:
    349 for a motobecane fantom elite / RS recon solo air, which brings you to a grand total of roughly 900 bucks.
    499 for a Gravity point 5 / RS Reba solo air, bringing your total to about 1050

All in all, youll really need to uncover some real bonkers deals, or have a strong parts preference to make it worth building it yourself over the goblin, but it can be done if youre so inclined.
    • HomeBrew 26er - Epicon/x9/x7/Deore/XT
    • Motobecane 550HT
    • 24" Sapient Cruiser
    • 20" Eastern BMX

Captain Climber
    Nice! Thx, the Goblin is still looking good though

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That goblin looks good, mostly because of the reba. Look at bikes direct/bicycle island also they have some good deals on handrails with a reba as well.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member

Got $1000... Which is best bike for the money?

Jamis has a nice steel 29er that has a 1299 msrp. Might be able to find a discounted one somewhere.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Yep, you'll be so much more satisfied and amazed at the FUN you'll be having on YOUR OWN BUILT RIG vs package. Plus... EBAY/CRAIGSLIST are your #1 source for well maintained pre-owned parts, which would slash the price nearly in 1/2! X.9 on ebay is cheaper or equal to brand new X.7 in price... X.9 ≥ XTR > X.7

PLUS you'll have all the valuable TOOLS you'll need for your own repairs. Lots of learning to do with all those tools. Could make some money on the side fixing folks bikes as well eh?

That Goblin is pretty ill looking! Price though... For that much on ebay you could get a SERIOUS rig... Like S-Works Epic level... I've seen some rare/uncommon deals on there, ESP in 29er...

Case in point; I just built my 1st 29er GT tank...90% XTR (M970) (minus brakes, hubs; rather go BB7) shifts lightening fast, titanium flex is butter smooth on climbs, makes a neat sound reverberating through the AL frame "Derrroooonnnnnngggg." "New" is a fad by definition lol; these "new" bikes aren't much better if at all vs the pre-owned market. Only new alloys/patented mechanics make any real difference ime.

All used/pre-owned w/e... WELL under any sensible price for (oxymoron) "X.T.R".

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I absolutely love it. With the money I've put in it, a Goblin would've been the way to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Great deal on the Goblin, and a real fork, too. Don't think you can go wrong there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why spend $1k when $620 is enough for an entry bike. Save the rest towards a wheel build.
    BD Gravity Point 1 with a Raidon air fork upgrade.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    Shimano Alivio/Deore 9sp-$419 with good geo...69.8* head tube angle with 445mm chainstays. More like Trek and Scott and better than the Goblin. The Goblin Evo got the geo right.
    Nick at Suntour will send you a Raidon air fork for $200 shipped. It is almost no maintenance because of the sealed damper.
    SR Suntour North America | SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program

The Reba on the Goblin used to be an excellent riding and tunable fork as a Dual Air. As a solo the damper provides little small bump compliance and poor higher speed control. You need to upgrade the damper to a SID RTC3 for $150.

mtbr member
    ^^this is pretty much my opinion. All the years I have been riding and bikes I have owned, I have noticed a few things.
    One of the biggest things is that your biggest area of noticeable difference is usually in the wheels. For some reason people get caught up in XT der. Etc....I have had cheap Alivio componenets and bikes with full XTR. Sure, there is definitely a difference, but nothing near the difference between a nice wheelset and a cheap one.
    If you really want a nice xc bike, get yourself a leftover at your lbs for about $700 with a disc brake and lockout forks. Now spend about $500 or more and get yourself a good set of wheels with real (king, white industries, etc) hubs....
    I have a bike with an Alivio rear der. That has over 2,000 miles on it and it works fine. The wheels will make your riding experience far better than a derailleur or brake set, especially considering you are in Florida which is pretty much flat...
    Last edited by fat_tires_are_fun; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:35 AM.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    ^^this is pretty much my opinion. All the years I have been riding and bikes I have owned, I have noticed a few things.
    One of the biggest things is that your biggest area of noticeable difference is usually in the wheels. For some reason people get caught up in XT der. Etc....I have had cheap Alivio componenets and bikes with full XTR. Sure, there is definitely a difference, but nothing near the difference between a nice wheelset and a cheap one.
    If you really want a nice xc bike, get yourself a leftover at your lbs for about $700 with a disc brake and lockout forks. Now spend about $500 or more and get yourself a good set of wheels with real (king, white industries, etc) hubs....
    I have a bike with an Alivio rear der. That has over 2,000 miles on it and it works fine. The wheels will make your riding experience far better than a derailleur or brake set, especially considering you are in Florida which is pretty much flat...
    Please explain the difference a nice wheel set will make... How is it better and noticeable?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Why spend $1k when $620 is enough for an entry bike. Save the rest towards a wheel build.
    BD Gravity Point 1 with a Raidon air fork upgrade.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    Shimano Alivio/Deore 9sp-$419 with good geo...69.8* head tube angle with 445mm chainstays. More like Trek and Scott and better than the Goblin. The Goblin Evo got the geo right.
    Nick at Suntour will send you a Raidon air fork for $200 shipped. It is almost no maintenance because of the sealed damper.
    SR Suntour North America | SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program

The Reba on the Goblin used to be an excellent riding and tunable fork as a Dual Air. As a solo the damper provides little small bump compliance and poor higher speed control. You need to upgrade the damper to a SID RTC3 for $150.
    How is the geo better? I could get the seeker with a better fork than in the link with upgrade for about the same price.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by shleitrieg View Post
    I absolutely love it. With the money I've put in it, a Goblin would've been the way to go.
    What bike did you get?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumV12 View Post
    Yep, you'll be so much more satisfied and amazed at the FUN you'll be having on YOUR OWN BUILT RIG vs package. Plus... EBAY/CRAIGSLIST are your #1 source for well maintained pre-owned parts, which would slash the price nearly in 1/2! X.9 on ebay is cheaper or equal to brand new X.7 in price... X.9 ≥ XTR > X.7

PLUS you'll have all the valuable TOOLS you'll need for your own repairs. Lots of learning to do with all those tools. Could make some money on the side fixing folks bikes as well eh?

That Goblin is pretty ill looking! Price though... For that much on ebay you could get a SERIOUS rig... Like S-Works Epic level... I've seen some rare/uncommon deals on there, ESP in 29er...

Case in point; I just built my 1st 29er GT tank...90% XTR (M970) (minus brakes, hubs; rather go BB7) shifts lightening fast, titanium flex is butter smooth on climbs, makes a neat sound reverberating through the AL frame "Derrroooonnnnnngggg." "New" is a fad by definition lol; these "new" bikes aren't much better if at all vs the pre-owned market. Only new alloys/patented mechanics make any real difference ime.

All used/pre-owned w/e... WELL under any sensible price for (oxymoron) "X.T.R".
    Good to know... Do you know of any deals out there now?

Captain Climber
    Curious.. What is your opinions on the Goblin EVO?
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin Evolution

Captain Climber
    And what about this carbon Haro for half price?
    Haro FLC Comp 29r Bike 2014 | Haro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast