mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Gordo and Ardent 2.4 phenomenon

I've been running the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front and rear on my Gordos for about a month. Its a great combo thats super cushy and handles really well. However, I have noticed as the tire casing has "broken in" an interesting phenomenon occurred.....the tires got a lot slower feeling.
    I know this is impossible to measure, and could very well be totally mental, but these tires when I first slapped them on were super quick accelerators, almost surprisingly so, given their size. I think it has something to do with the fact that as the casing spreads out on the gordos, the tire rides less on its center knobs which is what it did initially. Did not notice this happening when I ran the Weirwolfs.
    That being said, the tires overall handling performance has gotten better, it feels cushier, and the increased rolling resistance is not a deal breaker.
    Or maybe I'm just imagining it all and my legs have just gotten slower.
    If I had another set of wheels with narrower rims, I would do a back to back test, but alas I don't.

Really I am that slow
    maybe your local wrench is filling your tubes with water?
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Have you put on any weight ?? heavier kit ??

Abit more air pressure maybe will force the middle section out to to increase speed but decrease grip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Have you put on any weight ?? heavier kit ??

Abit more air pressure maybe will force the middle section out to to increase speed but decrease grip.
    I have actually lost weight, and I'm faster. I just can feel the rolling resistance of the tire more, than when I first got them. You can hear a heavier buzz on the road too.
    Again, I love this combo despite this, and I'm not posting it to ask for solutions. I just thought it was an interesting, given what fast/amazing rollers they were when I first got them.

Expert Crasher
    My 2.4s didn't grow on the Gordo. In fact, when I went from 40 psi (initial installation plus the first 48 hours), down to 21 psi where I ride, they shrunk by a mm or two.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    My 2.4s didn't grow on the Gordo. In fact, when I went from 40 psi (initial installation plus the first 48 hours), down to 21 psi where I ride, they shrunk by a mm or two.
    My 2.4s didn't grow particularly either. But the casing/tread seemed to flatten out as the tires broke in. Maybe its just how the tread wore in.

Harmonius Wrench
    There might be something to your analysis. I know that when I mounted Dissents on my Gordos the casings were flattened quite a bit. Now I did not have them on there as long as you have run your Ardents, so I cannot comment to your sensations. I will say that I moved the Dissents over to some Rhythm rims (28mm wide) and the casing rounded up noticeably. So, there is something to the "more tread hitting the trail" with a Gordo, which would in theory increase your rolling resistance.

Interesting...........

mtbr member
    What about lower temperatures? My 26' Kenda Nevegal Stick-E sounds and rolls differently in the cold.
    Funkyzeit!

Expert Crasher
    Ardent 2.4 on a Gordo. Still fairly round - I don't remember what PSI I had when this was taken.

Regardless, the grip at 20 psi is tenacious. The cush for the rigid is nice too!

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin