mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good News/Bad News Stumpy HT Lacking Instant Gratification

Had the local shop order a spankin' new Stumpjumper Comp 29er. Fit is outstanding, they swapped tires to the Captain S works (I'm a biggie who wanted more traction), out for the first test ride out back. Stomped on the cranks - BIG chain suck/gear slip. DOH.

Fortunately a mechanic was out testing a bike too and I assured him I wasn't on the gear lever at the time - I SWEAR.

He was able to recreate it. Every time.

Long story short - big problems getting the chain alignment where it needs to be - they tried different crank combo, different chain. Calls to Specialized and SRAM...

SRAM is sending them a new set of better X9 cranks and trimmings. I'm concerned that might not fix it.

The owner (very likeable guy) told me the next best option would be to go to a double up front. Are there any pros with that approach? I mean, I bought a 30 speed bike, don't take 10 away from me! Yes, I'm aware that I'd lose a couple of the lowest gears and a little off the top end. My gut says don't do it...

Anybody heard of such a travesty with a Stumpy?

I want my bike,

LAX

AZ
    banned
    X9 will probably fix it. Give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You may be surprised at how little you miss the gears. I have a 1x10 setup with 32 up front and 11-36 in the rear. Big range and all I need. I am by no means a super strong rider, but I can mash when needed. Part of the reason for my setup was to make myself survive without the granny. I can say I am very happy I did it.

Just a thought, but you may be cutting yourself short in thinking you need those extras (weather your dumping the big or small ring).

mtbr member
    If your bike shop has a bike set up 2X10 in stock, give it a try and see for your self. That's what I did and I haven't looked back since.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

A REAL RIDER
    X9 will fit! I bet you.

Just Ride!
    I have not experienced chain suck in about 10 years. Went single speed for that very reason and don't miss it a bit.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by laxpatrick View Post
    Had the local shop order a spankin' new Stumpjumper Comp 29er. Fit is outstanding, they swapped tires to the Captain S works (I'm a biggie who wanted more traction), out for the first test ride out back. Stomped on the cranks - BIG chain suck/gear slip. DOH.

Fortunately a mechanic was out testing a bike too and I assured him I wasn't on the gear lever at the time - I SWEAR.

He was able to recreate it. Every time.

Long story short - big problems getting the chain alignment where it needs to be - they tried different crank combo, different chain. Calls to Specialized and SRAM...

SRAM is sending them a new set of better X9 cranks and trimmings. I'm concerned that might not fix it.

The owner (very likeable guy) told me the next best option would be to go to a double up front. Are there any pros with that approach? I mean, I bought a 30 speed bike, don't take 10 away from me! Yes, I'm aware that I'd lose a couple of the lowest gears and a little off the top end. My gut says don't do it...

Anybody heard of such a travesty with a Stumpy?

I want my bike,

LAX
    Slipping gear and chain suck at the same time? How is that even possible. One is when the chain moves too much and the other when it locks up.
    Good that the mechanic was there it see it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the supporting words. They said I could take it home for the weekend since the parts are going to get replaced - but I think that I want to hold off on possession - it hasn't left the shop, just paid for it...

Oh, the humanity.

On the bright side, I got a really good deal on a Thule T2 - VERY impressed with that. Only haven't had a bike on it - YET.

mtbr member
    if there's an issue aligning the chain with the stock cranks that worked well on other comps, how will a new crank fix it? i hope it does for you but wonder if it's a different issue.

if you have to go to 2x10, you probably wouldn't notice much. i have it on my el mar and haven't missed any gears.

good luck! i hope things work out for you. there's nothing like having an issue with a brand new bike.
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update: Good shops do good things... They talked to SRAM and they delivered and installed a set of X9 cranks. Took it for a decent test ride, all is GOOOOOOD.

Nice upgrade, too!

Need to take it out for some abuse tomorrow.

LAXPatrick