mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Going over the alps, mavic open pro or A719

Hi,

Next week I'm off to Austria to cycle over the Dolomites. Here in Holland I run open pros on my Scandal and have A719s on my single speed inbred. I've not had any problems with the open pros but the terrain here in Holland is shall we say 'less demanding' than in Austria and Italy. My tyres never roll off, the wheels stay true with the open pros and they are nice light wheels.

But, in the back of my mind there is a little voice telling me to take the A719s.

There is a lot of climbing involved so going up, the open pros would be good, its just the descents that are making me think the open pros might not be up to the job.

Both wheel sets are laced with DT swiss 2.0-1.8-2.0 DB spokes. I weigh 90kg and most of the time, both wheels stay on the ground.

Recovering couch patato
    You're going there for the thrill, right? Use the Open Pro's :-)

I weigh ~15kgs less than you, and have A719's on my full suspension and Open Sports on my rigid fixed gear. The A719's feel so much stouter, I go with them just for peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just went through a similiar situation....go with the beefier rim. You won't want to be tearing through rocky downhills and feel like you need to be ginger with your riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

trip report?

Hey, English Bob. How did your Alps trip go? Can you give us some details? I'm planning a similar trip for 2008 (on a 29er, of course!). Where did you start in Austria and how long were you on the trail?

- AR

One by Nine is Fine
    the terrain here in Holland is shall we say 'less demanding' than in Austria
    That's what you lot call "English Humor', isn't it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It went really well thanks! It was organized by a company called Vasasport (who I have no affiliation with except as a satisfied customer). There is a road book in Dutch with locations and elevation profiles here http://www.vasasport.nl/data/bike//d...s/07RBRiva.pdf. But the pictures in the road book are pretty self explanatory.

You can search for all the towns with Google Earth and get an idea.

My friend Pottser did the trip aswell and posted a report here Monster Crossing the Dolomites
    with some nice photos.

My wheels were fine. I had built them myself and they were still true after a weeks riding. There were some quite technical downhills with rock gardens, drops etc and everything was intact at the end, except for my rear brake (Hayes), I rounded off the lever reach adjust. Next time I would have a larger rotor than 160mm at the front.

I rode with a ACX up front and a Saguro at the back, only one slow puncture during the whole week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Excellent! What an amazing ride! Thanks for the link. I don't speak Dutch, but I'll be picking that document apart and re-tracing the route in Google Earth. We just booked our flights for next July. Flying into Milan and will then take trains to our departure point (to be determined). Goal is 6 or 7 days of riding and then land at Lake Garda for a little R&R. No guides, just two crazy Americans with maps and phrase books! Thanks again. Those photos are awesome!

- AR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just make sure you pack for changing weather! It was -6C (20F???) with wind chill at the top and on the north side of the alps there was a self supporting group thats was having to go through a fresh snow fall that was 2 feet deep! I didn't get the sun tan I was hoping for!

I'm sure if you check on motion based you can find some GPS routes. Good luck with the planning for next year.