Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Going 29, Possibly Lynskey FS

Any/all advice would be sincerely appreciated. My 2001 GT i-drive has served me well and it's come time to move on. This will be my first new bike purchase in 12 years!

I'm good going 29. I've test rode different versions of Cannondale, Specialized and few others and I'm just not very satisfied with what I see. For the money, I'm not excited.

So I started looking at other manufacturers and Lynskey came up. I've spoke with them (they have been very helpful on the phone!) and I've gone over everything on their website, looking at the Pro 29 Full Suspension. They've really been great on the phone. I really like that the bike is made here in the US (obviously not the components) but there isn't a local dealer where I can do a test drive, which is really important with this kind of money! They have even offered to ship me a brand new bike to test drive that I can ship back!

Given I can solve the test drive issue (I might be in the their area so perhaps I can do a test drive at their place)... any thoughts on Lynskey or advice?

I also would want a custom setup, like going no front derailleur (SRAM XX1 or there a Shimano equivalent?) and Mavic rims. Any thoughts on this or advice?

This is major bucks! The stock bike alone is over $5K and with the custom components even more. But given I kept the GT for 11-12 years and ride about 1,000 to 1,500 miles per year, that's not too bad of an investment. And I have room on the credit card!

So please let me know thoughts on this setup. I'm not interested in spending on a Chinese frame (i.e. Cannondale, GT, Specialized, etc...), nothing against Chinese, just want to keep as much of the business in my country and sorry in advance if that offends anyone.

The last issue I've got to resolve is where to get the bike serviced. My current bike shop was "taken over" by Specialized and he's a great guy but he is under so much pressure to sell Specialized that he doesn't care about my GT and so forth... the new economy I guess. Perhaps I've got to find a new shop that will take care of me even if I didn't buy the bike from them.

Thanks for listening (reading) and thanks in advance for your thoughts or guidance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think many folks will tell you that Ti and full suspension is kind of an odd choice. One of the advantages of Ti is its desirable ride quality. Once you have a suspension frame, though, you negate much of that. If you want made in the USA, I'd look at some of the alloy frames from Lenz, Intense, and Turner, to name a couple of options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I think many folks will tell you that Ti and full suspension is kind of an odd choice. One of the advantages of Ti is its desirable ride quality. Once you have a suspension frame, though, you negate much of that. If you want made in the USA, I'd look at some of the alloy frames from Lenz, Intense, and Turner, to name a couple of options.
    Thank you for your reply. I have heard this said before however when I ask for specifics on TI frames and FS I don't get a solid answer that I understand. Is it that TI is more flexible than carbon or aluminum? Are you saying there is something "wrong" with the Lynskey FS TI frame or there is a reason I should stay away from it? Again, specifics are really appreciated.

I will also look at the other brands you suggested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Jecxz View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I have heard this said before however when I ask for specifics on TI frames and FS I don't get a solid answer that I understand. Is it that TI is more flexible than carbon or aluminum? Are you saying there is something "wrong" with the Lynskey FS TI frame or there is a reason I should stay away from it? Again, specifics are really appreciated.

I will also look at the other brands you suggested.
    I personally wouldn't buy a Ti full suspension. You pay a premium for Ti as a material, and its beneficial characteristics are mostly wasted in a FS frame. In my opinion, carbon is the best material for a full suspension frame, but there are no US made options as far as I know. There are still quite a few companies making high end alloy full suspension bikes, though, like the ones I listed above. Turner and Intense utilize two of the more recent advances in suspension technology (DW-Link and VPP, respectively), although opinions vary on rear suspension configurations. I'd be willing to bet you haven't seen a Ti full suspension in the wild, or if you have, very few, and I think there are good reasons for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ...and I think there are good reasons for that.
    OK, but you are not telling me what those reasons are.

I'd like to get back to my original post, looking for thoughts on what I wrote there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OK, but you are not telling me what those reasons are.

I'd like to get back to my original post, looking for thoughts on what I wrote there.
    Titanium frames are generally considered "more compliant" than aluminum. This is great in a hard tail, if done right, but basically pointless in a full suspension, as you have the suspension itself to absorb impacts. So any "compliance" in the frame just become undesirable flex.

But the other point that you are failing to grasp is that Ti is more expensive than alloy as a material, so even assuming the Lynskey FS is comparable to other designs out there, and I wouldn't know because I've never seen one, ridden one, known anyone who's ridden one, or even seen a review of one, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay the premium for the titanium material, when aluminum is as good or better in the application of a FS bike.

I guess put succinctly, Lynskey is not known for their full suspension designs. Their prices have come down a lot recently, but I'd still rather have a Turner Sultan or Lenz Mammoth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ti is more expensive than alloy as a material, so even assuming the Lynskey FS is comparable to other designs out there, and I wouldn't know because I've never seen one, ridden one, known anyone who's ridden one, or even seen a review of one, it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay the premium for the titanium material, when aluminum is as good or better in the application of a FS bike.
    This makes sense. I better understand your statement that TI is more flexible than aluminum or carbon and thus a FS is not necessary.

Just started looking at the other brands you mentioned. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What didn't you like about the new bikes you test - rode ?
    I find it hard to believe that the new bikes didn't blow your socks off, coming from a 12 YO bike.

mtbr member
    Ive never been into a bike shop that would turn away shop work due to the brand of bike. If I did I would not revisit that shop.

Good luck on your purchase 5K is a lot of coin just to say "its made in the USA"

AOK
    mtbr member

Going 29, Possibly Lynskey FS

Another great made in the USA choice to look into would be Ventana El Rey or El Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    What didn't you like about the new bikes you test - rode ?
    I find it hard to believe that the new bikes didn't blow your socks off, coming from a 12 YO bike.
    Excellent question. I looked the longest at Specialized, the Epic, and I did not feel the value was there for $5k for a carbon frame or $3k for aluminum for bikes that are made on an assembly line in Taiwan, again, I don't mean to offend anyone. I believe if you're mass produce bikes you should pass along the savings to the consumer.

I looked at a few Cannondale models, I don't recall their names, but I was not impressed with the carbon frames and the cost value. I think this has been the biggest issue for me, I want to be blown away if I'm going to be spending so much money.

I won't go to GT because they've been bankrupt two times in 10 years and parts availability is a concern (i.e. my I-drive now).

At least I decided that I won't do carbon. Having been to various bike shops, there are all sorts of promises being made about carbon frame replacement for fracture. Anyway, I would prefer an aluminum frame, which is what I have now.

When I spend $5k+ on a bike, the value happens to be important to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    Good luck on your purchase 5K is a lot of coin just to say "its made in the USA"
    Specialized Epic Carbon is $5k and its made on an assembly line in Taiwan. Your statement doesn't make sense. Same for Cannondale models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Another great made in the USA choice to look into would be Ventana El Rey or El Captain.
    Thanks! Still looking at the other brands suggested. I will look at these too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Surprised no one has discussed what I wrote about no front derailleur, the SRAM XX1 complete set up is over $1,000 alone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's a review of the Lynskey 29 FS addressing some of the comments on TI and FS:

First impression: Lynskey Pro29 FS-120 | Dirt Rag Magazine

Not totally sold on them, looking at other brands recommended.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here's a review of the Lynskey 29 FS addressing some of the comments on TI and FS:

First impression: Lynskey Pro29 FS-120 | Dirt Rag Magazine

Not totally sold on them, looking at other brands recommended.
    There are perfectly acceptable reasons for wanting something US made, but the quality of bikes, especially carbon ones, coming out of Asia is not one of them. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean about value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For comparison purposes you could look at a Santa Cruz Tallboy2, Pivot 429c and Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    For comparison purposes you could look at a Santa Cruz Tallboy2, Pivot 429c and Ibis Ripley.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Surprised no one has discussed what I wrote about no front derailleur, the SRAM XX1 complete set up is over $1,000 alone!
    Maybe true for complete, but now have 450 miles on my Jet9rdo, running the xx1 crankset and basic xt rear.....no issues 1/2 price

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Maybe true for complete, but now have 450 miles on my Jet9rdo, running the xx1 crankset and basic xt rear.....no issues 1/2 price
    And you also only have 10 gears.

Trail Prospector
    ... I believe if you're mass produce bikes you should pass along the savings to the consumer...
    I want to be blown away if I'm going to be spending so much money... At least I decided that I won't do carbon. Having been to various bike shops, there are all sorts of promises being made about carbon frame replacement for fracture...
    When I spend $5k+ on a bike, the value happens to be important to me.
    Could not agree more!

Marketing coverage, sponsorship, reviews, and hype does little to dispel carbon's lack of long-term durability.
    Which to someone who rides often, and will keep a bike for years - is a far bigger concern than being lightweight.
    Hell, I'm slow, and could lose more frame weight with a good pre-ride data dump.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Could not agree more!

Marketing coverage, sponsorship, reviews, and hype does little to dispel carbon's lack of long-term durability.
    Which to someone who rides often, and will keep a bike for years - is a far bigger concern than being lightweight.
    Hell, I'm slow, and could lose more frame weight with a good pre-ride data dump.
    Santa Cruz Bicycles COMPANY

I'd recommend reading Joe Graney's three part primer on Stiffness. Part 3 contains a now famous video of their testing facilities and tests. The tests they show demonstrate that their carbon frames are actually significantly stronger in several respects than the same aluminum frame, and at the end, there is an "anecdotal impact test" that will likely surprise you. The long and short of it is that 1.) it's not just about the weight–there are advantages to carbon that cannot be matched by metal and 2.) you are likely underestimating the durability of carbon. It is a material that has undergone a rapid evolution in the past 20 years (and may still be, we'll see) and not all carbon frames are created equal.

Trail Prospector
    Santa Cruz Bicycles COMPANY

I'd recommend reading Joe Graney's three part primer on Stiffness. Part 3 contains a now famous video of their testing facilities and tests. The tests they show demonstrate that their carbon frames are actually significantly stronger in several respects than the same aluminum frame, and at the end, there is an "anecdotal impact test" that will likely surprise you. The long and short of it is that 1.) it's not just about the weight–there are advantages to carbon that cannot be matched by metal and 2.) you are likely underestimating the durability of carbon. It is a material that has undergone a rapid evolution in the past 20 years (and may still be, we'll see) and not all carbon frames are created equal.
    No, thanks...
    Going 29, Possibly Lynskey FS-photobucket-3654-1321051660282.jpg
    Been there to learn the lesson, and will now stick to Al, Fe, or Ti.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    No, thanks...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photobucket-3654-1321051660282.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	820858
    Been there to learn the lesson, and will now stick to Al, Fe, or Ti.
    It's a good thing metal frames don't break. You should be in the clear. Out of curiosity, what kind of frame was that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Update: a lot of the advice on this thread has been very helpful and I've done a lot of looking at other brands. In terms of pricing, there seems to be a striking difference between TI and aluminum, as pointed out by hillharman --thanks.

I'm still looking and with some of the comments above I will also reconsider carbon, although my first choice is aluminum.

I don't know if I would change my mind on non-US made frame.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast