Thread: Giving back ?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Giving back ?

Nice to meet everyone
    Ok so Ive been doing alot of research and I have narrowed it down to these bikes.
    1-Specialized Bicycle Components
    2-Haro Bikes - MTB - Bikes - Flightline 29 - Flightline Sport 29
    3-Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    4-MARIN BIKES 2010**|** Mountain HT**|**29er **|**Alpine Trail 29er ( used for $400)
    5-Talon 29 0-v2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | International( used for $600)

My question is which one of these bikes are going to have the
    1-Strongest frame
    2-Strongest rims
    3-The best customer service. ( meaning ) If in 5 years the frame brakes wich company is going to give me the least amount of before the honor the lifetime warranty.
    4-Which one of these companies gives most back to the MTBing community and or back to nature & wild life.

The Specialized and the Haro are from my lbs.
    I look very forward to hearing from every one and ohya im 6'1 300 pounds used to be 200 when i was mtbing all the time took the opportunity to hit a jump whenever i came across one. I also worked at a Schwinn shop for a while so im not really to concerned about the components. I like feeling good about where my money goes to. The bike is going to be my every day driver with about 20 to 50 % off road and don't plan on being 300 pounds for much longer & do plan on spending alot more money on a better mtb later and do want to stay with the same company then.

mtbr member
    On a global scale, it can be hard to tell who gives back. On a local scale, I know one of my LBS's supports my local MTB club. And I know exactly what they do to give back because I'm on the board. So I tend to support the shop that supports the club. That said, if you're looking for a warranty to be honored, you can forget both of your used bike options, manufacturers only honor warranties for the original purchaser.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Actually the Marin comes with the original receipt from the original purchaser & the Giant is available thru another lbs but they are kinda jerks unless you walk in flashing alot of money. Im not aware of any MTB clubs in my area. Downriver Michigan but I havent really done research on that topic yet. Has anyone ever delt with ANY problems from any of these companies I listed?

Anyone in my area ?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was hopeing for alot more feedback from everyone or is this topic in another thread I overlooked?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marin is showing up in Bike Blue Book for 306.
    It would need a new air fork like a Rockshox Recon Gold for 240 from Random Bike Parts or better a Manitou Tower Pro off Ebay to handle your weight. In 29er Components section there is a thread on that fork for Clydes. You need an air fork.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes a Fork upgrade is a definite upgrade in the future depending on how fast I loose the pounds the more I ride the lighter ill get keep that in mind but also the lighter I get the faster ill go and the higher and further ill jump. Wich brings me to another question about wich bike will be worth upgrading I dont wanna polish a terd.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok This bike just got added to my list from Trails edge. They were really cool.
    JAMIS BICYCLES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatantula View Post
    4-Which one of these companies gives most back to the MTBing community and or back to nature & wild life.
    Be careful - Specialized will have their army of lawyers sue you if you suggest they aren't the best buddies of the MTB community.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    comment well understood.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    anybody have any of these bikes ive listed and if you do what do u think about it.

mtbr member
    My wife rides a Talon. It's a good solid frame, very upgradable. Buying the used talon through a LBS still won't make you the original owner of the bike in Giant's (or pretty much anyone else's) eyes for warranty purposes. As mentioned about other bikes, you'd need to upgrade the fork on the Talon. What you should really be doing is riding all of these bikes to see which one feels best to you. If the bike doesn't work for you, it doesn't matter if the company you bought it from is torpedo'ing whaling ships, you won't like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatantula View Post
    Ok This bike just got added to my list from Trails edge. They were really cool.
    JAMIS BICYCLES
    Trails Edge are a bunch of cool cats. Good customer service from the LBS is your biggest ally if you ever needed warranty work.

mtbr member
    I think it's sad that a name brand bike mfr will not warranty their product if it changes hands. IMO it's just another way for them to not have to warranty their product and save on warranty costs. I mean do they stand behind their product or not? The way it should work is when the bike is originally purchased, the dealer fills out the warranty paperwork. Once registered as sold, the warranty clock starts ticking and if the product fails due to poor quality or mfr defect (really the same thing), then if the bike is still within the warranty period, the mfr should honor their product warranty. Regardless of who owns the bike. If it worked this way with cars, do you think consumers would give much value to a vehicle warranty? End rant.

I have had limited experience with bicycle warranties, mostly because I have purchased much of my equipment used so even if the bike I bought is only a few months old, it would have no warranty.

The only time I was in contact with the mfr on an issue was with my 2003 Specialized Epic. In that scenario Specialized no longer sold parts for the 2003 Brain rear shock so it could not be rebuilt (yes I know, it's a 10 year old bike). When I spoke with Specialized directly they said they would be willing to sell me a rebuilt 2005 (upgraded) Brain shock but I needed to go through my LBS for them to ship the original shock back to Specialized to make the exchange.

After waiting 2 wks I did not get an upgraded 2005 Brain Shock, I got a NOS 2003 Brain Shock body with my old shock rod assembled to it. Turns out the LBS must have had some old parts lying around and rather than sending off my shock to Specialized they rebuilt my 2003 shock. When questioned, the LBS owner said he sent the original shock back to Specialized and he got a replacement. I was suspicious of his story and called Specialized and confirmed the LBS owner lied about everything, Specialized did not send out a rebuilt 2003 shock.

So in the end, I have a LBS owner I cannot trust, a rebuilt 2003 shock that is not supported by Specialized, and I'm still out $300 for the work the LBS shop claimed they did for me. I should also mention, I brought them the shock, they did not even work on the bike. Should I be unhappy, guess that's a matter of opinion.
    End rant.

So, based on my experience, I would recommend purchasing the bike that you want at the lowest price, regardless of warranty. If you deal with a LBS, try to find one you can trust. I think most of the name brand companies give to the sport at a corporate level, but I have not seen my local shops do very much. Nothing beats you, as an enthusiast for the sport, becoming a IMBA member and either donating a few bucks or volunteering at your local trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    COTHARYUS-I have ridden the HARO, SPECIALIZED,and the TALON all are a 2-5 minute bike ride from me. The Jamis Ill be riding monday wich is at TRAILS EDGE and they are about an hour car ride. The TALON and SPECIALIZED kinda feel the same, The specialized comes from Cycle Connection and they are really cool too. The Talon they are kinda jerks and my dad rides a giant too so cause of stupid petty personal reasons the Giant is prolly out and the specialized is $40 cheaper. The HARO feels like im riding a snake its solid and around turns it feels flexible? kinda like it melts around the apex ( street only havent had it offroad yet). In my teenager years i rode a 20 inch Haro on a halfpipe never did anything major but I feel comfortable with the name HARO cause I grew up with them. Dont know much about HARO in the MTB categories tho.

The forks im shopping for either a REBA or a FOX RLC for which ever 1 I get and thanks to this site its getting alot easier to make up my mind.

Thanx every1.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Haro at Al Petris and my dad went to high school with Al the middle one too by the way. They told me to bring them the new fork when they order the bike new so they can assemble it with the bike. Also so i can get the stock fork back brand new. They dont want it. Ebay. Can I trust them? I dont know this is my 1st time dealing with them.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The AIRBORNE is still rolling around in my last 3 options too.