bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009

Giant XTC 29-1 (2010) vs Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 (2009)

Hi everyone.

Calling from Australia to ask for some suggestions/comments. Over here I can find the Giant XTC 29-1 (2010) for around the same price as a Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 (2009).

However I need to order the Giant, where as the Specialized is floorstock.

I would love some comments as to which is the better way forwards. I am kinda leaning towards the Giant, but welcome any feedback, good or bad anyone can give.

One interesting comment I have is that according to the size guide on Giants website, I would need an L - 20" (I am 6'2"), but this seems to be physically a bit smaller than Specialized's 19" bike.

Thx

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I am 6'2" and I very comfortably rode the XL Giant XTC-1. It has a somewhat slack ST angle and it does pull the front end back a bit more than the 25" TT length would suggest.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    I am 6'2" and I very comfortably rode the XL Giant XTC-1. It has a somewhat slack ST angle and it does pull the front end back a bit more than the 25" TT length would suggest.
    Having also ridden the XL Giant XTC29er and being 6'5", I would think the XL (21") would be the better fit for a 6'2" rider.

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Thx for the comments guys. If I go Giant I think I will go the XL frame.

But anyone trump for the Specialized over the Giant?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" and the XL Giant is a perfect fit....I have the XTC2 which has a no offset seatpost- or at least less so than the XTC1, which puts me right over the pedals and still enough weight on the front and rear- good balance I must say.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethrow
    Hi everyone.

Calling from Australia to ask for some suggestions/comments. Over here I can find the Giant XTC 29-1 (2010) for around the same price as a Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 (2009).

However I need to order the Giant, where as the Specialized is floorstock.

I would love some comments as to which is the better way forwards. I am kinda leaning towards the Giant, but welcome any feedback, good or bad anyone can give.

One interesting comment I have is that according to the size guide on Giants website, I would need an L - 20" (I am 6'2"), but this seems to be physically a bit smaller than Specialized's 19" bike.

Thx
    Giant is a much better spec'ed bike.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Hey guys - when you all say you are riding the XTC-1 or XTC-2, do you mean the XTC 29-1? I am not sure if the frame size comparison works otherwise.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I mean the XTC 29er 1
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

bigger is better ...
    Nov 2009
    Thx everyone - I just ordered the Giant in XL