mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Giant XTC 2 vs Trek X-Caliber

I think I have narrowed it down to these two bikes.

Giant XTC 2 $1399 cdn
    marzocchi 44TST2 w/15mm thru axle, overdrive steerer, 100mm travel
    alivio shifters and front derailleur, avid elixir 1 brakes
    deore front derailleur

Trek X-Caliber $1499 cdn
    Rockshox Reba RL
    SRAM X7 shifters, rear derailleur
    deore front derailleur

Has anyone compared the two? The $100 difference doesn't matter I'm just trying to get the best bike.

thanks

mtbr member
    I really like the 15mm thru axle and tapered head tube on the Giant. The Marzochhi fork is a low pressure fork and is pretty dang smooth. The X cal looks pretty good too, but my vote would be the Giant just because of the 15mm thru axle and tapered head tube. You can always upgrade the shifters and wheelsets later.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

Rides the Desert
    Trek is what you want. A hidden factor is the G2 geometry on all their 29ers that makes you almost not sense a difference in handling. Check it out on their website...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    go with the x-cal

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The X-Cal has a 44mm headtube. It can run a tapered fork but that's quite an additional cost. I got lucky and bought a CL Marz 44 Micro ti. The Reba is probably a better fork than the Marz TST2. The only thing the XTC 2 has on the X-Cal is the 15mm thru-axle. It would be nice if Trek/GF would use thru-axles on their hardtails.

I enjoyed test riding the XTC 1 but I wound up buying a Cobia. I preferred the geo of the Trek/GF. If you can, ride both back to back and see which bike works better for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I went with the X-cal. I was going back and forth but the x-cal has better components for the money. I thought about the upgrade problem with the fork and axle, but I figure when the time comes for that I'll probably be ready for a better model any way.

BLKSS29RGD
    The giant has an outstanding frame, the heart of the bike. I did a frame up build on the XTC 29 with a Reba Team up front and a smart mix of X9/X0 parts 2x10 along with a set of Stan's Arch wheels. Did an about $3K build around this frame, and am about to do another build on this frame as a single speed I like it so much.

If you could pop for the 1, the 2012 parts mix on it is saweet...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The X-cal has the better parts spec aside from the thru axle. Test ride them and see if you like the G2 geometry. I think its a winner, but I'm a bit biased

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I love my x-cal!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant XTC 2 vs Trek X-Caliber-uploadfromtaptalk1331171510391.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1 for the XTC 2. I bought one two years ago to try 29ers, and became hooked, got rid of all 26 stuff. Great frame geometry, short wheelbase, tapered HT, 15 mm thru axle add to the snappy handling. Made the switch to 29er very easy...

I got mine down to 26.5 lbs with a few upgrades (tubeless, changed front tire to Ignitor, crank & bottom bracket, etc.).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been looking at those same two bikes (also considered cannondale flash 3). X-cal does have better components, but xtc's 15mm thru-axle with tapered steerer promises great stability. Just rode xtc at my LBS and thought it was real nice. I have not had a chance to ride trek yet (maybe this weekend).
    OP-have you made the decision yet? It seems like which ever bike you get you end up with a solid entry level 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I very heavily considered these two bikes. On paper, the X-Cal is better IMO. It also looks great, Trek did a great paint/decal job on the 2012 X-Cal (again, opinion).

However, the two have much different geometry. Test rides, preferably on dirt, would be required to make an actual informed decision. They both handle well, but differently. I preferred the XTC over the X-Cal as far as fit. I also put in quite a few trail rides on a friend's Cobia, just to get familiar with the Trek geometry. The XTC rode a little harsher, but felt a little more nimble, at least to me. I should add that I am comparing a 19" Trek to a 18" XTC.

What did I end up with? An El Mariachi. Again, test rides on dirt are required, and definitely give a few others a try (if you haven't already) before you pull the trigger. You might run into a model you haven't really considered that ends up being the perfect bike for you, like I did.