mtbr member

Giant Trance X 29er 1 or Trek Rumblefish Elite?

Anyone have any strong opinions (good or bad) about either of these bikes? Any particular reasons why you might choose one over the other?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good question. I pretty much have myself sold on a trance 29er1. I asked the question on another thred basically is it going to be a big upgrade from my current trance x3 26er. Now guys suggesting the rumblefish among other bikes. After some research the rumblefish looks like a sweet ride...however the trance 29er 1 comes with the dropper post. Pretty big plus in my book being that I ride a very wide variety of terrain. Not to mention its a few hundred less (not that that's a deal breaker). I am not really brand loyal but after looking into some of the suggestions from others in my thred, I am still leaning towards the Trance 29er. Looks like a solid bike, great bang for the buck. I guess we just need to ride some bikes and try to figure it out. Good luck to you.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I went with a 2012 Rumblefish Elite due to Gary Fisher G2 handling combined with Trek's ABP (works like antilock rear brake), DRCV really works too! Lastly, Trek supports IMBA and Trips for Kids chapters.

I just added a dropper post ad put on a new Fox 140mm travel, 34mm stanction talus with CTD, Purgatory 2.4 front tubeless, Captain Control 2.2 rear tubeless and it's a TRAIL MONSTER!!
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Love the arb braking rear on my rumblefish. Was craving the 140mm fork but swapping to a 50mm stem and 750mm havoc bars changed up the handling in a great way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I rode both and preferred the Giant. The RF was a beast of a bike and very capable to go anywhere you want to take it but it felt very heavy to me. The Giant had more of the 'fun' factor to it and the dropper post was very intriguing. I also road the TREK Fuel EX7...that was fine but came across as very 'vanilla'...again very capable but didn't really grab me. All being said, I walked away with the TREK Superfly al 100 Pro! It just had that immediate fun, HT feel I really like. I'm not too worried about the 4" travel as I've never really bottomed-out my HT in 4 yrs. For my riding style I'm confident it'll be fine. I may wish for the 5"-6" travel on the rare trail but so be it. They're all great bikes, you'll have a blast riding them all and then agonizing over the decision--I did! I used this site a lot and got some great feedback...good luck!

LDM
    Jul 2008
    I spent 2 days on a Trance 29 and really loved it. It climbs really well and is a blast on the downhill. It just seems to float off jumps. My wife was on an Anthem 29'er and switched to the Trance 29. She constantly says "I love my new bike", which is now getting old after 6 months. BTW - she is 5'6'" and 29'ers suite her fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
    I rode both and preferred the Giant. The RF was a beast of a bike and very capable to go anywhere you want to take it but it felt very heavy to me. The Giant had more of the 'fun' factor to it and the dropper post was very intriguing.
    I ended up buying the Trance X 1 for these same reasons.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja View Post
    I ended up buying the Trance X 1 for these same reasons.
    Good chioce the Trance is a far superior suspension design. I had a 2011 Rumblefish and their was a noticable amount of rear suspension flex. The trek would blow through its travel easily. I went to a jet 9 rdo and was blown away how crappie the trek pedalled.
    I personally will only own a fs bike with a solid rear triangle ie Pivot, giant, niner etc.. IMO it's the best pedalling platform.