View Poll Results: Which bike would you choose?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Giant Trance X 29er 0

8 61.54%
  • Yeti SB95 Race

4 30.77%
  • Other

1 7.69%
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Giant Trance X 29er 0 vs Yeti SB95 Race

I've been looking for a full suspension 29er, as I'm ready to go back to full squish after 4 years on a Gary Fisher Paragon (which has been a great bike). I started off focusing on the Anthem X 29er, and really enjoyed my demo ride of one last weekend.

However, it sounds like the TX and SB95 might be more fun w/ the extra inch of travel, and maybe more maneuverable w/ the shorter seat stays? I have no interest in racing, just want a fun bike that motivates me to ride as much as possible and get back in shape.

Anyone have feedback on these two that might help me decide? I've ridden them in a parking lot, but that doesn't help a whole lot. Here are the pros and cons as I see them.

Giant:
    + a bit cheaper
    + std. drop seatpost
    + lighter?
    + 2x10 drivetrain (everthing else is pretty much the same, all XT)

Yeti
    + sexy as hell in the black
    + 34mm forks vs. 32 on the Giant
    + brand name components (Thompson seat post, stem, etc.) vs Giant house brand stuff
    - 2 yr. frame warranty vs. lifetime on Giant
    - costs a little bit more

I expect that I'd be happy w/ either one, but would appreciate any guidance that would make the decision easier.

get down!
    I dunno man...you'd get much more bang for your buck with the Giant. I think the line between "household" components and after market stuff is getting smaller every season. For instance some of the wheels on the Trance have Giant branded hubs with DT Swiss internals and the rims are tubeless ready. Jenson just emailed out a $3,400 Yeti SB95 build that looks great for the $$...for a Yeti.

Edit: I haven't ever ridden a full suspension 29er of any sort, so I didn't vote
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    I just ordered the Giant Trance X 29er 0 and it is the best bang for the buck.
    “Change is not a requirement because survival is not mandatory”

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a Trance and have ridden the yeti on trails. Both are great bikes. The Yeti tends to blow through travel faster, but doesn't really bottom out. My preference is the giant's suspension if it's set up correctly. Both are really nice bikes, and the Yeti looks damn nice.

I'd go with the X1 personally and use the extra 1500 to get Xt brakes and a nice wheel set with king or i9 hubs.

Rohloff
    I'd double check the details, but if Giant is offering a lifetime warranty, and it's cheaper, I think I might go for that.