mtbr member

Giant Talon 2 specific info needed

I have purchased 2 Giant bikes from my LBS and have been very happy with them. One is a Giant Defy road bike and the other is a Comfort bike I use for commuting. They have held up very well and I have had zero problems with them. So, I decided to put a Talon 29er on layaway from the same shop.

Problem: I want to do some upgrading on it, but no one seems to know anything about the bike. Giant's website is worthless and my LBS doesn't know much more. I need to know what headsets are compatible with the bike. Three different employees of the LBS had three different opinions. None of them knew for sure.

Does anyone know what headset is compatible with the 2012 Giant Talon 2 29er? Thanks in advance for any help.

Your Best Friend
    Any 1 1/8 headset will fit. They are a dime a dozen and easy to find. Not sure why you'd just want to upgrade the headset unless you are also upgrading the fork. Even then it isn't that worth while of an upgrade on a bike like that. If you want a better fork, you'll have to look for a non-tapered steerer in 1 1/8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Any 1 1/8 headset will fit. They are a dime a dozen and easy to find. Not sure why you'd just want to upgrade the headset unless you are also upgrading the fork. Even then it isn't that worth while of an upgrade on a bike like that. If you want a better fork, you'll have to look for a non-tapered steerer in 1 1/8.
    I am planning to replace the stock Suntour XCT with a Marzocchi, but I'm pretty sure the headset has to be a semi-integrated set, not a standard set. According to Suntour, this fork has a straight, not tapered 1 1/8 steer tube. Three people at my LBS: One says, "Isn't that a tapered steer tube?" The other says, "no, its a straight tube." One says, "Its an integrated headset." The other says, "no, its semi-integrated." I go on cane creek's website and use their finder tool, but I don't have the inside head tube dimensions so I can't find the specified headset. Giant does not provide those dimensions on their website. The shop owner says, and I quote, "I'd have to take it apart to know for sure." I'm a little frustrated with the LBS. Shouldn't they know? Giant says, ask your LBS. I did and I still have no answers.

mtbr member
    Still no help from my LBS, from Giant, nor even from Cane Creek. I sent a request for information to Cane Creek and received an automated reply that a specific answer would be forthcoming within a day. Its been longer than a day. I'm pretty sure that it takes a semi-integrated setup, but am not positive. Is there no-one who knows the proper replacement headset so I can order one ahead of time without taking the bike apart? Again: Giant Talon 2 29er 2012 model.

mtbr member
    it is semi intergrated

Big wheels small brain
    Check out this thread:

Talon owners .....

I upgraded my fork, to a Marzocchi Micro Ti, without changing out the headset. I have a 2011 Talon 29er 1.

mtbr member
    i correct myself..it is an internal headset:

Inquiry on Talon 2 29er Headset type