mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Giant Anthem X1 advice 2012 vs 2013

Need your help. Looking at getting back into mountain biking after a long time. My lbs carries Specialized and Giant. The mostly sell Specialized but I am interested in the Giant.

So here is the deal. They have a 2012 Anthem x1 that I finally got them to lower the price to $2,550. My question is this, should I pay $325 more for the 2013? I am a Shimano guy but maybe that is because I am old school. I don't feel like they have discounted the 2012 enough either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Links?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can't post links. I haven't posted enough. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhziii View Post
    I can't post links. I haven't posted enough. Sorry.
    post away Test Forum only 3 more
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm pretty familiar with the bike, and while I prefer Shimano too, at the end of the day they basically have the same level of components. In my view the biggest change is that they went to the CTD shock for 2013. Don't know what that amounts to in terms of ride, but perhaps someone can weigh in in that one. Truthfully I don't know that one will be much different than the other, and that leaves you with the price factor and which color do you prefer. And when you go to sell it, you'll have a newer bike by a year to sell if you go 2013.

Also, are there any other Giant shops nearby? I've got one shop who has a 2012 still and they want 2499 for it, while the other can give me the 2013 for that price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    As soon as my husband gets home in the am I will have him tell you all about both. Which state are you located? I know all of the Giant shops in Arizona. We ride on Team Giant AZ
    Love the bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    At least at my local giant dealers, previous year models usually sell for 20% off msrp. I've tried negotiating but they always seem pretty firm. Bikes arent what they used to be where you had leverage with cash on hand. On current year models they have sales a couple times a year for 10% off....and I've seen some demo day coupons that bump it up to 15%. Those are the biggest discounts I've seen here in southern California on giant from a local shop.

Between the 2 models....just choose whatever you prefer between SRAM and shimano. I'm a big fan of shimano drivetrains. But I do like the xo and Xx: cranks and cassettes (not like it matters since you'd have to upgrade to get those). I think the shimano shift actuation feels better to me.

Anthem is a great bike. Both model years are nice and about equally speced. Maybe flip a coin or make your decision on the color you like better?

davidcarson48
    That is a tough call. A buddy has the 13 and i love the yellow accents, for what it's worth.

I think the 12 had better hubs, so if you aren't planning to upgrade the wheelset that could be meaningful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am in Texas. I think I could go with the 12 with SRAM if they would lower the price to $2,300 but they are the only shop in town and don't have the best service. It took me a couple of months to get them realize that they were priced too high.

What do you guys think about the rear shock. I have heard mix reviews of the new CTD.

davidcarson48
    Do you race or strictly trail ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No racing. Just trail riding.

Your Best Friend
    The CTD is really good stuff and compliments the Anthem models nicely. I prefer Sram because I like the 1:1 actuation of the shifting. Basically less throw and effort to shift. Either bike would be great. You are essentially being offered between 10-15% off on the 2012. Expecting 20% off is a little ridiculous. Honestly I don't know if the CTD of the 2013 would be enough of a good thing to offset the discount you'd get on the 2012. I rode a 2012 Anthem 1 for a few months this summer. The Fox package makes the Anthem have more of a trail bike feel than a RS package would. Great bikes overall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    One more thing to consider is the chain rings on the crankset. It may not be important to some, but I find the 24 inner ring quite important. I have a 2011 AX 2 29er with the SLX triple crank. The granny gear is a 24 ring and I appreciate it for hills. If you are just getting back into MB, you may also appreciate it. I guess you could change it out on the 2012, but the 2013 already has it. Also, while I find X9 vs XT quite comparable, I prefer SLX over X7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have seen online some shops sell the 2012 for about 20% off but they can't sell out of state.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I would go for the newer model due to resell value and you would like the 2012 discounted more.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I too wouldn't think at least 20% off on a previous year's model would be too much of a stretch, but I guess it depends on where you are. In November of 2008 I picked up my 2008 Trance X1 for exactly 25% off, as the 2009's were rolling in. No haggling, it was the price on the tag. That was in So Cal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    on a superficial level the 2012 color scheme is better....much better.

For trail riding. Get the trance. Its a really good ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks everyone for your input!!! I think I am going to wait until I head up to Austin and go the local Giant dealer there and most likely get the 2013. I want to make sure I get setup correctly as well as sized correctly. I am not impressed with my lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=Silentfoe;10108891 I prefer Sram because I like the 1:1 actuation of the shifting. Basically less throw and effort to shift.

The cable actuation rate has nothing to do with shifting effort. That's merely a ratio of derailleur spring tension versus lever throw.

It is analogous to running the same overall gear ratio shifted up in the granny vs down in the middle ring. The chain travel is different but the result is functionally the same. Shimano moves the cable less distance under higher tension. I'm a Sram fan but 1:1 has nothing to do with it. I'm also a Shimano fan.....