mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Giant Anthem X1 29er - carbon bars

I would like to replace the Giant Anthem X1 29er Al bars for carbon ones. Since I already have Giant SL carbon seatpost and stem, I'm looking for similar carbon bars to those I currently ride. Can you recommend me anything? I checked Giant website but look like they do not sell such wide carbon bars. Or am I wrong? What bars are on the best Giant Anthem Advanced?

mtbr member
    all Giant's site says is low rise bars, there should be some specs written on the bars. I was looking for something similar to the stock Bontrager bars that came on my bike. I was able to find a bar with very similar specs from Syntace, falt bar with a 9 degree backsweep
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

davidcarson48

Re: Giant Anthem X1 29er - carbon bars

I upgraded to Giant carbon bars that are exactly the same length and rise as the stock bar. The website is not up to date on that, apparently. I bought the bar that comes on the Anthem Advanced 0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    davidcarson48: Where did you get the bars?

DFMBA.org
    Probably from his local Giant dealer. Or get this: ENVE Carbon Riser Bar. Pretty much the same width as the stock AL bars.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

davidcarson48

Yep...i upgraded at the Giant dealer.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Giant's Contact SLR bars(low-rise) are plenty stiff and light(177g) for a 685mm long bar. Giant still does all their carbon layups in-house, not buys sheets of Toray CF.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There are a lot of good carbon bars on the market...I wouldn't sell yourself short (and lighten the wallet more then needed) by feeling obligated to stick with the giant brand. It's only been a few years now that giant started using their house brand on the high end bikes. They seem to be decent quality tho, and in no way saying they are not good. I'd just go with a different brand to increase options. The thing I've noticed about the 29ers is they handle awesome by going with wider bars and shorter stem since you don't get that front wheel loft on climbs like the 26ers do..it happens but not nearly as severe. I also noticed that this doesn't affect the fit as much as you'd think. It just gives you way more leverage, and better on the descends.

Can't remember the stock setup, but I'm guessing they are 680mm with 90mm stem? I think you'll want either a low rise or flat bar. My second bike is a xtc29er...similar geometry but in a hardtail. In the last few months I've tried the Easton monkey lite 680mm, crank bros cobalt 11 in 700mm width, and the new ritchey WCS trail rizer 740mm. I first started with 90mm stem/680mm bar and ditched it. Then went to the cobalt 700mm with 80mm...which was a step in the right direction. Then I went 740mm bar with a 70mm stem and it was perfect. almost forgot...I also tried the loaded carbon bars and hated them. Not because of the sweep or width, but the quality sucked. Hit a branch at slow speed and took a huge chunk out of them.

Anyways, there are a lot of good wide bars available. If you wanted to try the cobalt 11s...i have them in my parts bin and always wiling to help a fellow rider. They are very simple looking without the huge brand logos like other bars. Also have a few leftover stems you can tinker with. I think you'd be surprised how much more control it will offer. Pm if interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Can't remember the stock setup, but I'm guessing they are 680mm with 90mm stem?
    I'm not the OP, but like the OP I was also looking around at carbon bars for my Anthem X1 that are similar in width, rise, and sweep to my stock bars. For the record, I have a 2013 X1 and it came with 730mm wide bars. I'm not 100% on this but I believe Giant started speccing wider bars on the Anthem 29er recently than when the bike was introduced.

As others have stated, Giant probably offers their own carbon bars this wide, but it's not on their site. Those Enves someone posted spec out almost exactly like my stock bars, looks like a solid option. Another one I was looking at is this one: Raceface Next SL. Looks to be very similar in profile to the stock bars, just about as wide, and very light.

davidcarson48

Stock aluminum bar is 730mm and 19mm rise. The Advanced 0 carbon bar comes in the same width and rise.

If i remember correctly my carbon bar weighed 215 grams.

mtbr member
    I went with Easton Haven Carbon bars. 711mm and 170 grams. They are a great low rise bar. I have them on a Giant Xtc 1 29er.