mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Giant Anthem X 29er

Would an Anthem X 29er be overkill for fairly rooty singletrack? I'm currently riding a hardtail 29er and feel a bit beat up after a couple hours of riding. The trails I ride also have a few small rock gardens, but nothing too nasty. I'm thinking the Anthem may be the answer to my lower back pain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like mine , but try lowering the nose of your seat. see if that helps your lower back pain . it helped me

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Anthem would definitely be a good choice to give your back some relief while maintaining a solid pedal platform. A little suspension can make a big difference in how you feel at the end of a ride. Demo one.

mtbr member
    Have you ever had a real "FIT"? Try getting a BGFIT or Retul fit and you will notice a difference in comfort and power.
    You can also adjust the sag in the rear shock to help set it to your riding style. I rode the Anthem 29er and had the back end slightly stiff and it was a very nice ride. The Anthem is my preferred Giant 29er Full suspension, but I bought the XTC Composite as it is pretty smooth single track around here... I couldn't decide between the two and am still second guessing my decision... When I was single I could have had both and no one would have ever said anything.... oh, how times have changed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Similar to the others advice yes and no.

Depends on why you have back pain, if fit is an issue a new better fitting bike will help. So will better suuspension setup, increasing core strength, better loser riding postion, climbing technique, and I am sure other factors.

That being said my back did get better when I went FS to the Anthem, but it took some time to get it dialed and it overall it was a better fitting bike (longer TT more stretched out). I also started getting more interested in endurace riding and the 4+ hour mark is when it really made the difference, I really did too much to know if just FS. If lower back pain is an issue and you want to start endurace riding than you really do need to start getting a better fit and make sure you are comfortable on the bike above all else, it might be you decide to upgrade and at that point if you really want a FS than why not. The other things too think about are you may spend money on things like bar, stem, seat, grips, tires to get really comfortable where you want to be.
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 12-07-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: grammer
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Can't say if it will relieve back pain but you will be hard pressed to find a better bike for rooty singletrack as you described. The 29er Anthem is one of the best if not the best 4'' travel XC frames you can buy regardless of price or frame material. Its my choice and I have road all the top contenders including and owning a carbon Tallboy and a Niner RDO.

mtbr member
    I don't think a FS bike is going too far for a rooty trail. If you feel beat up at the end of a ride, you might not ride as much. If you ride more, you're more justified in owning anything you're riding. I picked up an Anthem to ride on days when I'm either already beat up from riding my rigid SS, or day when I don't feel like I want the beating. So far I ride both bikes pretty equally, and the Anthem has opened up new trails to me - things I wouldn't ride on the SS because it was rigid. I say go for it.

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to demo one (or any FS really) on your local trails and see how you feel at the end of the ride compared to your HT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Your best bet is to demo one (or any FS really) on your local trails and see how you feel at the end of the ride compared to your HT.
    That's the plan. I'm going to try both the Anthem and the Santa Cruz Superlight 29 as well.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Bellydraft
    I have an Anthem X Advanced and also an XTC Composite. Had the hardtail first. I got a hardtail to get back on the mtb horse after a decade of French fries and creampuffs. I also live in coastal SC. The climbs we have are the steps between floors at home,otherwise we have none. I never thought a fs bike would be right for here.

Our local trails are covered with roots,and super twisty. The hardtail was fast for a lap,then I was done. Now that I have the Anthem and have finally figured out how to ride and set it up,I can ride the same loop all day AND am faster everywhere except for pavement. Everytime I ride the Anthem I like it more.

It was finicky for me to get set up,but is also my first fs bike. The shock and fork are finally broken in. Small roots just don't exist anymore. Medium and larger ones still do,but are SO much easier to ride over,upright or leaned over..

The Anthem has me sold. I can't imagine how someone wouldn't like riding one. They rock.
    This may hurt a little..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    All my riding buddies told me for Michigan that FS is overkill. Nonsense. I love my Anthem. Sure I could do a hardtail, but I like to stay on the saddle and crank it out. The Anthem really smooths out everything. If I was 20 years younger i might consider a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As far as fit goes; I'm primarily a road cyclist and I like a fairly stretched out ride and that's the setup I have on my hardtail which seems to be the most comfortable. I've also found the more I mountain bike that I prefer to sit and spin up climbs and over roots and rocks than stand, so I feel a FS will be more conducive to that kind of riding style than a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleganyBicycleShop View Post
    Have you ever had a real "FIT"? Try getting a BGFIT or Retul fit and you will notice a difference in comfort and power.
    You can also adjust the sag in the rear shock to help set it to your riding style. I rode the Anthem 29er and had the back end slightly stiff and it was a very nice ride. The Anthem is my preferred Giant 29er Full suspension, but I bought the XTC Composite as it is pretty smooth single track around here... I couldn't decide between the two and am still second guessing my decision... When I was single I could have had both and no one would have ever said anything.... oh, how times have changed!
    what isBGFIT and Retul?
    I just picked up a 2011 Anthem X 2. i know nothing about setting up for fitment..
    any advice is helpfull!!
    Thanks
    Doug

DFMBA.org
    Demoed a AX29 and the new Trance X29 and went with the TX29 because it felt less racy as compared to the AX29. I, too, am coming from a hard tail that gave me back problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEA316 View Post
    what isBGFIT and Retul?
    I just picked up a 2011 Anthem X 2. i know nothing about setting up for fitment..
    any advice is helpfull!!
    Thanks
    Doug
    The BGFIT and Retul systems were designed to fit you to your bicycle. this helps provide comfort and power while putting you into a neutral riding position. It also helps reduce the chances of sports related injuries. You can check out the BGFIT Demo ad here: Specialized Body Geometry Fit - YouTube
    and here is our page on it:
    Allegany Bicycle Shop - Bike Shop, Wellsville, Ny, Bicycle - Bike Fit

You can also find information on how to set up your bike online regarding fit. Being more comfortable means I can ride longer and faster without pain.

I highly recommend getting one if you have never had one. It makes a big difference. I have fitted riders who set up there own bikes very well; with a little research and a friend to help you can probably set your bike up close.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    thanks. i'll check it out...it's so much easier to sit down and twist the throttle!!!! haha

mtbr member
    I have the same issues with my back while riding my HT 29er on a long ride. I pull the triger to get the Anthem X29 a month ago and I feel better now after long rides. Also, it helps by adding some core workouts for your back and this will bring a lot difference for back problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I did put a 25 mm rise bars on .haven't had a chance to try them yet. The "lay down " position was to much for the broken down old man...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes a full suspension is much easier on your body, it will also save you energy in long rides. I have both in the form of 26".

My FS 26 is old and i don't want to beat on it so i don't ride it on the trails much. My HT doesn't fit me right and i've just plain out grown it.

My initial plan was to get a 29er HT...however i'm starting to realize that FS would be better in the long run (easier on me, and a much nicer ride since i ride a lot)...though i'm probably going 650B if I go FS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I duno!!!