Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    VitalMTB is releasing a First Ride on The Smash today as well.

North Shore Mountain Bike also posted the press release, verbatim: https://nsmb.com/articles/guerrilla-...aunches-smash/

There's also a press release here on mtbr: Guerrilla Gravity The Smash 29er launched - Mtbr.com

Folks had been asking us for a 29er Megatrail, and that's what The Smash is. Ask away with questions.

GG Smash 140mm 29er-smashing-dakota-ridge.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    What does flipping between crush and plush do to the geometry numbers, like HA and BB height? Also are the geo numbers on the chart in crush or plush mode??

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    What does flipping between crush and plush do to the geometry numbers, like HA and BB height? Also are the geo numbers on the chart in crush or plush mode??
    Geometry numbers are listed for Crush Mode. In Plush Mode, the BB is 2mm taller, but the top stroke is a little softer and rides at about the same height in both.

The key difference is in ride feel from the leverage curve. Vital tested both configurations with an air shock, and coil shock at two different spring rates, so they should be posting that soon. One setup that I like is Crush for most trail rides, and switch to Plush for bike park riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Cool thanks, the bike looks solid.

mdc
    mtbr member
    The geo #'s look pretty similar to the Pistola. If I threw a 150mm fork on my Pistola, would it basically be a slightly slacker version of the Smash with 10mm less rear travel, or are is the ride and suspension quality different?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Cool bike.

Why the long seat tube on the medium? Droppers are getting longer but my legs aren't.

Why a head tube with an external lower headset cup? Seems to needlessly increase the stack, especially on the small, and medium sizes.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    The geo #'s look pretty similar to the Pistola. If I threw a 150mm fork on my Pistola, would it basically be a slightly slacker version of the Smash with 10mm less rear travel, or are is the ride and suspension quality different?
    You'd be close, and that's a ripping setup. The Smash is softer in the top stroke, but the aggressive Pistol setup is still pretty awesome.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Cool bike.

Why the long seat tube on the medium? Droppers are getting longer but my legs aren't.

Why a head tube with an external lower headset cup? Seems to needlessly increase the stack, especially on the small, and medium sizes.
    I think you might be comparing seat tube lengths to bikes made for shorter people. In other words, our medium is made for folks around 5'8" to 6'1", whereas most size mediums are made for folks around 5'6" to 5'10".

The seat tube length is optimized based on our experience for riders in that height range and fits the vast majority of folks well. However, if you wanted a shorter than normal seat tube, that can be done for an extra charge. We've done that a handful of times, for example, a size medium frame with a size small seat tube.

Headset stack: it's included in the front end height that's designed in. The current front end heights were determined from rider feedback on previous bikes, plus taking note of how people were setting up demo bikes, getting people to try multiple stack heights and reporting back. Headtube heights were adjusted such that the folks that liked the lowest front end for a given frame size run the stem slammed, and folks that like a taller front end don't have to run BMX handlebars.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The reach and top tube are good but, a 150mm dropper will just fit. I'm 5'9.5". I owned a Mondraker Vantage frame that has the reach, but a shorter seat tube. Lots of large frames come with your medium seat tube.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    My point was that our size medium overlaps with some size large frames. But, it doesn't matter too much since we can do a shorter seat tube. You wouldn't be the first person to get that. 5'9.5" with a 150mm dropper probably fits with the standard geo, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    My point was that our size medium overlaps with some size large frames. But, it doesn't matter too much since we can do a shorter seat tube. You wouldn't be the first person to get that. 5'9.5" with a 150mm dropper probably fits with the standard geo, though.
    Not that it matters in my case, but that's quite remarkable that a customer can get that level of frame customization. Very impressive!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Singletracks.com has a first ride review posted: https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...g-travel-29er/

Rocks belong
    I'm 5'10" with a 30" (jeans) inseam. A medium Smash/MegaTrail fit me with a 150 dropper with almost 2 fingers of post exposed above the seat collar. I could've maybe even squeezed a 170 dropper.

Consider the 'medium' a Large and you're good.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

WillWorkForTrail
    Sick. GG now has two bikes on my short list, and my list keeps getting shorter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You guys need an east coast demo tour. While I keep reading great things about your bikes, I 'd have to ride one before buying.

Based on my Specialized experience I have doubts about horst link bikes.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Can you talk about the decision to go with a relatively high BB with the current trend going lower and lower? FWIW I'm not complaining I live somewhere really rooty and rocky! Just wondering what made you guys buck the industry trend.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You guys need an east coast demo tour. While I keep reading great things about your bikes, I 'd have to ride one before buying.

I had similar doubts about Horst link based on past Spec. experience. However, I've tried bikes from Transition, Norco, and GG and they are worlds better than the old Spec. bikes. They've really developed the design into something that really works much better.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

We made it out to the South East this year for the first time, and East/North East is in the plans for next season. There are some BAMF's, plus at least one Outpost out that way, though. If you know of a shop that would be a good candidate to bring in GG demo bikes, send them our way.

Suspension platform: that's less important than the implementation. It's the actual kinematics graphs that matter, which any given platform can produce a huge array of performance characteristics. For example, ride a GG/DH, and then a Megatrail, one using a monopivot, and the other using a Horst link, and they have similar DNA. There are certainly some differences from platform to platform, but again, the implementation is the biggest factor. Some inherent platform differences are leverage curve details. For example, a top mounted shock rocker link cannot produce the same leverage curve that's on the Trail Pistol, Megatrail, Shred Dogg, or The Smash.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Can you talk about the decision to go with a relatively high BB with the current trend going lower and lower? FWIW I'm not complaining I live somewhere really rooty and rocky! Just wondering what made you guys buck the industry trend.
    Yep. We pushed as low as possible on BB heights back in 2014 with the first generation Megatrail, 13.2" Trail Mode, 12.7" Gravity Mode. While it absolutely murders corners, overall, riders asked us to raise it up a bit. Hence, the second gen Megatrail is a little taller.
    The current lineup of GG bikes is most definitely still on the low side of the spectrum, and when designing The Smash, it is intended for chunky terrain, and hence made sense to go with a little more pedal clearance. For comparison, it's still lower or no taller than some other longer travel 29ers out there.

So, we've already "been there, done that" with super low BB heights and have come back to a happier medium based on what riders have asked for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What's in common with Mega and Surface?

VitalMTB is releasing a First Ride on The Smash today as well.

North Shore Mountain Bike also posted the press release, verbatim: https://nsmb.com/articles/guerrilla-...aunches-smash/

There's also a press release here on mtbr: Guerrilla Gravity The Smash 29er launched - Mtbr.com

Folks had been asking us for a 29er Megatrail, and that's what The Smash is. Ask away with questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smashing Dakota Ridge.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	1146947
    Couple of questions:

1 - How much of the Smash, if any, is in common with the MegaTrail? I love that the Mega can be converted to a Shred Dog, of vice versa, with a shock swap. Wondering if any such relationship exists between the Smash and those bikes, as they look awfully similar (only number I can see a difference in is the chainstay, with Smash being 2mm longer). The reason I even ask this question, is this year I bought a 2017 Chromag Surface as my second bike and I'm really digging the steep seat angle*, long reach and 29er wheels. Switching back to the HD3 now feels awkward and I'm thinking a GG bike, with really similar numbers, would be a better combo with the Surface. The easiest way for me to get onto a GG is to buy a MegaTrail and move parts over from the HD3, but eventually I think I'd like to have both bikes be 29ers, hence the question. ie - if I buy a Mega or Shred Dog now, can I switch it to a Smash in the future with a new shock or link or...?

2 - Second question is about the steep seat tube (hence the asterisk in the above paragraph). I have to say it was a hard adjustment going to the steeper angle on the Surface, and I'm not sure I'm there yet as I had to put the setback option on my 9point8 dropper or my knees just couldn't take it. Do you find some people just can't ride with the super steep seat tube angles? Are there other adjustments that need to be made to make it work? I found raising the seat higher than on the HD3 helped as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_tony View Post
    2 - Second question is about the steep seat tube (hence the asterisk in the above paragraph). I have to say it was a hard adjustment going to the steeper angle on the Surface, and I'm not sure I'm there yet as I had to put the setback option on my 9point8 dropper or my knees just couldn't take it. Do you find some people just can't ride with the super steep seat tube angles?
    I had to do the same thing with my 9.8 to get an efficient pedalling position for my body. I can always slide forward on the saddle for a few minutes on a steep climb, but I can't slide back off the saddle to pedal on the flats or when things are less steep.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What kind of fork offset do you use for the smash.
    Is shipping to germany possible?
    Thanks

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_tony View Post
    Couple of questions:

1 - How much of the Smash, if any, is in common with the MegaTrail? I love that the Mega can be converted to a Shred Dog, of vice versa, with a shock swap. Wondering if any such relationship exists between the Smash and those bikes, as they look awfully similar (only number I can see a difference in is the chainstay, with Smash being 2mm longer). The reason I even ask this question, is this year I bought a 2017 Chromag Surface as my second bike and I'm really digging the steep seat angle*, long reach and 29er wheels. Switching back to the HD3 now feels awkward and I'm thinking a GG bike, with really similar numbers, would be a better combo with the Surface. The easiest way for me to get onto a GG is to buy a MegaTrail and move parts over from the HD3, but eventually I think I'd like to have both bikes be 29ers, hence the question. ie - if I buy a Mega or Shred Dog now, can I switch it to a Smash in the future with a new shock or link or...?

2 - Second question is about the steep seat tube (hence the asterisk in the above paragraph). I have to say it was a hard adjustment going to the steeper angle on the Surface, and I'm not sure I'm there yet as I had to put the setback option on my 9point8 dropper or my knees just couldn't take it. Do you find some people just can't ride with the super steep seat tube angles? Are there other adjustments that need to be made to make it work? I found raising the seat higher than on the HD3 helped as well.

Thanks!
    1. Yep, you can get a conversion kit to go from Megatrail/Shred Dog to The Smash if you wanted to do so after the fact.

2. If you want your saddle position further behind the BB, an offset head dropper post is the solution, and 9point8 is a good one, as they have a 25mm offset option. Then, you still get the benefit of the saddle traveling in a steeper path for a more consistent cockpit length on rolling terrain, it's just further behind the BB.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Igetyou1982 View Post
    What kind of fork offset do you use for the smash.
    Is shipping to germany possible?
    Thanks
    We have 51mm offset forks in stock, but can get lower offset if you want. The lead time will be higher.

Being in Germany, we suggest you go through Shorelines Distribution in the UK. https://www.shore-lines.co.uk/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is the first bike I've seen in a long time that has me wanting to build up another full suspension rig. Good job, Guerrilla Gravity guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    We have 51mm offset forks in stock, but can get lower offset if you want. The lead time will be higher.

Being in Germany, we suggest you go through Shorelines Distribution in the UK. https://www.shore-lines.co.uk/

Thanks for your quick reply.

What would you say going with a 46mm offest to get more grip on the frontwheel and more stability.

Or would you still recommend 51mm Offset

How is the BB Drop?
    Last edited by Igetyou1982; 4 Days Ago at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    1. Yep, you can get a conversion kit to go from Megatrail/Shred Dog to The Smash if you wanted to do so after the fact.

2. If you want your saddle position further behind the BB, an offset head dropper post is the solution, and 9point8 is a good one, as they have a 25mm offset option. Then, you still get the benefit of the saddle traveling in a steeper path for a more consistent cockpit length on rolling terrain, it's just further behind the BB.
    Can one get a Smash rear end to fit the v1 MT?

mdc
    mtbr member
    "1. Yep, you can get a conversion kit to go from Megatrail/Shred Dog to The Smash if you wanted to do so after the fact."

Could you do something similar with a TPistola to get the added travel of the Smash? REplace the rear end and swap out shocks perhaps?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Igetyou1982 View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply.

What would you say going with a 46mm offest to get more grip on the frontwheel and more stability.

Or would you still recommend 51mm Offset

How is the BB Drop?
    I've ridden both 46mm offset and 51mm offset 29er forks, albeit with a time gap in between. I don't think there's a difference in grip, but you have more trail, ie self centering, with the 46mm offset. The steering isn't quite as light with the shorter offset, but a little more stable. Either works well.

BB drop is 30mm on The Smash.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    kragu and mdc:

The Smash rear end does not fit on the first gen Megatrail, but it does fit on the 2nd gen Megatrail

You can't convert a Trail Pistol into The Smash. However, the 55mm stroke coil shock with 140 or 150 travel fork on the Trail Pistol is super capable. I believe yours is set up that way, right?

mdc
    mtbr member
    Currently have the RS Super Deluxe Air at 130, and an MRP Stage at 140. Might swap the fork out for either a 150 MRP Ribbon or Fox 36.

I'm finding that the Pistola setup with 30% sag and 3 volume spacers in Crush mode is pretty perfect. I rarely bottom the shock, but do with the fork. I'll probably change the travel on the Stage to 150 and give it a go at the bike park before pulling the trigger on a new longer travel fork. I don't want the front end to get weird on climbs etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not a alloy fan or HL fan but being basically the ONLY new bike with a decent-height BB, I'd definitely look at this and try to demo one to see how the geo and suspension work. If not too long on the trail, it could be on the next shortlist.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Not a alloy fan or HL fan ....
    Why is that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    Not a alloy fan or HL fan but being basically the ONLY new bike with a decent-height BB, I'd definitely look at this and try to demo one to see how the geo and suspension work. If not too long on the trail, it could be on the next shortlist.
    FWIW, I came from a carbon frame to an alloy GG bike and don't notice the weight difference at all. Also, their implementation of the HL doesn't seem to give up anything versus other designs. My GG bike climbs like a rocket.

Before writing these bikes off because of the material or suspension design, I'd highly recommend riding one first. I'd bet that you'd be very surprised.

meatier showers
    I'm fine with alloy and even more fine with a bike that's built in the USA.

Last weekend at Mountain Bike Oregon my riding buddy demo'd a very popular, world cup winning brand that shall remain nameless, anyway carbon frame with a press-fit BB. It creaked like an old wooden bed on wedding night. I'll take a thread-in BB, thanks very much. I know some carbon frames have them but so do all of GG's frames.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    It creaked like an old wooden bed on wedding night. =sParty
    LOL! That's one of the best analogies that I've read in a long time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Damn... I just got a Snabb Plus which is a great bike but I would have loved to get The Smash. Maybe I'll swap out frames next year.

meatier showers
    The only thing I don't get is why GG named their tube/whatnot holder "NUTS" (Necessities Under The Saddle). It's not under the saddle. Nope. Traditional tube holder bags strap under the saddle.

GG should have called theirs the NOBB -- Necessities Over the Bottom Bracket.

A nitpick I admit, but accuracy is a thing.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Calgon, take me away!
    Looks like the bike is actually reasonably affordable. Surprising since it is welded up in the USA. I'm not currently in the market, but this bike does appear to check all my boxes. I see that the XL is definitely clyde-worthy.
    Banshee Prime

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    The only thing I don't get is why GG named their tube/whatnot holder "NUTS" (Necessities Under The Saddle). It's not under the saddle. Nope. Traditional tube holder bags strap under the saddle.

GG should have called theirs the NOBB -- Necessities Over the Bottom Bracket.

A nitpick I admit, but accuracy is a thing.
    =sParty
    Well, it is technically under the saddle. It's just not immediately under the saddle

Calgon, take me away!
    Please stick with NUTS.
    Banshee Prime

meatier showers
    Well, it is technically under the saddle. It's just not immediately under the saddle
    LOL, just poking the bear.
    =sParty

mtbr member
    when is an 11-6 going to be available?
    Front Range, Colorado

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    when is an 11-6 going to be available?
    I've hit up Darren, probably will be taking The Smash up to Push soon.

I'm with stupid
    Can it accept a bigger fork? I am currently shopping for a riot replacement (cannot use more then 140 and is underforked for my style) , so if so when can I drive up the rode and ride one?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Can it accept a bigger fork? I am currently shopping for a riot replacement (cannot use more then 140 and is underforked for my style) , so if so when can I drive up the rode and ride one?
    Yes, The Smash accepts fork travels of 140 - 160mm, so yeah it can take a longer fork.

And, yes, you can come check out a demo. Email or call the shop to reserve a demo. 303-955-4163, Bikes@RideGG.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Would there be clearance for running a longer stroke shock? Say a 230x60 or 65?

It takes half a joule more to accelerate Brass Nipples over Alloy Nipples on a 29er to 30kph.

mtbr member
    This may be my next ride. I do not like to switch out too often, but seems to check the boxes, anxious to sit on one and see if it fits, I got to be comfortable......on the short list of choices for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" fairly normal proportions. My experience with long wheelbase bikes has not been great. I typically prefer a smaller size bike. Thoughts on going with a small vs the medium recommended by GG. Would the 23" top tube length on the small suck for seated climbing?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm 5'9" fairly normal proportions. My experience with long wheelbase bikes has not been great. I typically prefer a smaller size bike. Thoughts on going with a small vs the medium recommended by GG. Would the 23" top tube length on the small suck for seated climbing?
    My concern would be having to use a longer than optimal stem, so you are not cramped. The long top tube, and reach are what I like about this bike

Anytime. Anywhere.
    What size water bottle fits in the medium frame?