mtbr member
    Feb 2004

GF292 or Mt. Tam 29

I'm debating which bike to keep and which to sell...

My 292 is a much heavier and longer bike, while its a plush ride, it can be a push to ride sometimes.
    The Mt. Tam is much lighter and more nimble, due to the shorter wheelbase (and chainstay). I think it has a much better steering head angle for technical downhill runs as well.... I just feel much further forward on the 292.

Or should I just sell both and build a Karate Monkey with a White Bros fork???

My main beef with the Mt. Tam is that low bottom bracket, I'm constantly whacking my pedals on everything I normally clear with my 26" singlespeed (with 180 cranks). At least with the 'long travel' setting on the 292, I'm not plowing the trail everytime I ride.

I'm in Arizona and have to contend with rock gardens on a regular basis...

Any advice would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Ok, here is my advice. Sell the 292, part out the frame and fork from the Mt. Tam, keep the drivetrain and etc. stuff, skip the monkey and go straight to an Airborne B-29 with a WB .8 fork. You should end up with some $$ in the bank and not a tank....you'll get a great handling bike with a 12 1/4"bb that is Ti to boot.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Ok, here is my advice. Sell the 292, part out the frame and fork from the Mt. Tam, keep the drivetrain and etc. stuff, skip the monkey and go straight to an Airborne B-29 with a WB .8 fork. You should end up with some $$ in the bank and not a tank....you'll get a great handling bike with a 12 1/4"bb that is Ti to boot.

Now that sounds like a really good idea... I like Ti, and I like the idea of the taller BB!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Now that sounds like a really good idea... I like Ti, and I like the idea of the taller BB!
    Just got back from a ride on my Airborne down at Hartman's Rocks. If the name is any type of a hint as to the type of terrain there, then you are hip. Not a pedal strike or ring grind the whole ride. The confidence a higher bb gives you in that type of riding is hard to beat. The way I see it even at a 12 1/4" bb height the Airborne still runs 3/4" more drop than a 26" hardtail with an 11 1/2" bb height so it remains stable at speed in the corners also.

Was great to get out there, Hartman's definately Rocks The Rage in the Sage is coming up the middle of May which is early compared to the past years, so all you racer types should plan on coming on down. They are also running a 50mile Marathon I just saw on the poster today in that same time slot. The 24hr. race is in Sept. again and that event last year was just about too much fun. (No connection to the organ izers, just saw some posters down in Gunrack today and thought I would pass on the info FOC)

Last edited by Bigwheel; 04-16-2004 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added Photo
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.