mtbr member

GF/Trek G2 Geometry - Impact on handling from 70mm stem + increased travel

(Repost from GF Forum)

Hey Folks!

I recently purchased a 2010 GF X-Caliber (17.5) and like many of us, would like to perform some mods and upgrades. This bike will be used mainly by my 5'8'' wife for riding technical trails through to flowy XC and racing.

I plan to:
    - modify the fork by increasing the current 80mm travel to 100mm.
    - Install a shorter 70mm stem (for a better fit/riding posture)
    - Install a wider 680mm handle bar (perhaps compensate for short stem).

Curious to know if any of you have performed similar mods to your G2 geometry 29er hardtail? Were there any notable impacts to the handling of the bike. I'm particularly curious about the impact of having a shorter stem.

Cheers

mtbr member
    If you're raising the front end an inch, don't forget to check out the angle on the stem too.
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    The shorter stem will quicken the steering a bit. I don't know if the bar will be too wide for her. Easily fix if it is,though.

mtbr member
    Might wanna just do one thing at a time. Thats a lot of changing things around that will really alter the fitment.

Maybe stem/bars first so that you dont have to tear open a brand new fork.

OR tear open the brand new fork and leave the stock cockpit since this is a free mod and no money lost if she loves it right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pascale27 View Post
    If you're raising the front end an inch, don't forget to check out the angle on the stem too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    The shorter stem will quicken the steering a bit. I don't know if the bar will be too wide for her. Easily fix if it is,though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Might wanna just do one thing at a time. Thats a lot of changing things around that will really alter the fitment.

Maybe stem/bars first so that you dont have to tear open a brand new fork.

OR tear open the brand new fork and leave the stock cockpit since this is a free mod and no money lost if she loves it right off the bat.
    Big thanks for your input guys! For now, I have only changed the stem and threw on a wider bar. She has this same cockpit set-up (70mm stem, 680mm bar) on her other bike (Giant Trance 26") and works well for her. No ride report yet as she still hasn't tried it yet. Perhaps I will some time this week.

IF she feels comfy with the cockpit change, I will then experiment with increasing the travel by 20mm. It will be the original fork that I will be modifying. Since I bought the bike used and the fork has some miles on it, I'm not as reluctant to experiment. I tend to rebuild my forks anyways.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I did the 80-100 mm travel increase mod on my 2010 Paragon. I just dropped the stem a little, and it feels almost exactly the same as before but with more travel. Great mod. I should have done it sooner.