Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

getting a new aggrressive 29r..looking for feedback

i have narrowed it down to 3 choices( tallboy ltc..rip 9 rdo..stumpjumper evo) i ride aggressive rough trails here in southern utah. just interested in hearing some opionions. thanks in advance guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They are going to pedal very differently. I suggesting trying to demo each. What works for me or someone else might not for you.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Climbs = necessary evil
    I have to agree with the demo suggest, especially in these prices. I demoed a bunch last fall including the Turner Sultan, SC Tallboy LTc and Niner RIP9. Only the Niner "felt good" for me, but there are plenty of others who will sing the praises of the other two.

mtbr member
    so far i haved tried the evo and it is very good. i am going to try the rip and the tallboy as well but i was just looking for opinions.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    I don't know that you can go wrong. I have a '10 RIP with a 140mm fork and live in Tucson (lots of techy rock). The only time it's felt overwhelmed was chasing guys on DH bikes down South Mountain in Phoenix. It also pedals like a champ, so I can only imagine that the RDO or the new alloy version will be even better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker View Post
    I don't know that you can go wrong. I have a '10 RIP with a 140mm fork and live in Tucson (lots of techy rock). The only time it's felt overwhelmed was chasing guys on DH bikes down South Mountain in Phoenix. It also pedals like a champ, so I can only imagine that the RDO or the new alloy version will be even better.
    Thing is while all very good bikes, for different people each one could be very wrong. In my case I bought the SJ as my first 29er without a demo ride because I always had and like Specialized before.

When my shop got a TBLT in I test rode for fun. After that ride ordered my TBc and sold the SJ after only six months. I'd love to demo a Niner, none to be found in my area. Later this year when I'm back in better shape I'll demo the Spider Comp the shop has.

Bottom line is no matter what you read on a forum, only you will know which one rides best for you and so I always just say ride them yourself, what we say on here means absolutely nothing when it comes to what someone else will like better.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have a Rip9 RDO & I'm stunned how well it pedals up hill for a 125mm rear travel bike.

It is super stiff & just awesome down hill & it just stays on line over the ruff so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Different strokes for different folks. I demoed all three you are looking at and preferred the Evo out of the lot but liked the Sb95 and Spider Comp better than all three.

Climbs = necessary evil

Re: getting a new aggrressive 29r..looking for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I demoed all three you are looking at and preferred the Evo out of the lot but liked the Sb95 and Spider Comp better than all three.
    Perfect example of different stokes. I demoed the SB95 and it was one of my least favorite. BTW - not trying to start a betochfest. Just stating my preference.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

MTB B'dos
    If you're looking for true aggressive, you've left out a good few top contenders, just saying is all
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Well who are the few more good contenders

Carbon & Ti rule
    I agree different strokes.

Where did you find a Rip9 RDO Demo ??

mtbr member
    eliminate the Evo. im on a TBLTc with a 65mm stem and love it. RIP 9 is a good bike too. shorter stem is a difference maker.

mtbr member
    Over the edge here in hurricane has one

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    RIP 9 Alu, not the RDO - please excuse my extrapolated performance. I recognize the marginally shorter stays and travel increase would make a subtle difference, but probably not enough to sway me.

I know several people that swear by the RIPs and Niner makes a great product, just not my cup of tea. The RIP Felt taller and more forward weight biased than the LTC, EVO, SB-95 or Spider Comp This same feel carries over to their hardtails I have ridden as well. It is just Niner's design philosophy from I can tell from my limited experience with the brand. I prefer the ride to feel low with a weight bias further to the rear, ala Species and Yeti's take on most of their rigs.

Don't take my comment as a knock on the bike, as this feel is preferred by many. That is why it is great to have options from different manufacturers to accomodate different needs. I ended up buying the Spider Comp due to its availability but would have preferred an SB95 carbon if it was out when I was purchasing. That 95 was a great ride in my opinion!

Having said all that, the new Enduro has intriguing geometry to me and would be where I was looking if I needed more travel. Unfortunately, I, like the poster, was looking for something a little less.

MTB B'dos
    Banshee Prime, Kona Satori, Lenz Lunchbox/Behemoth, Transition Covert, Intense Tracer 29, I'd even throw the Trek Rumblefish in there on the milder side.
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would love to throw a leg over the Prime as well. Looks like a good bike on paper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not to hijack, Smith how's the Spider so far? I'm waiting to see if Intense releases it with a Fox 34 Talas 150/120.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wrote a brief review on it in the Intense forum the other day. I am really digging it; very fast bike that likes to get rowdy. IMHO, the head angle would be too slack if you went 150 Talas (didn't know fox made a 150mm 29 talas for aftermarket) on it though. I dropped my Float 34 to 130 to keep the front end low and headangle in check. PM me if you want any specific details.
    Last edited by smithrider; 04-18-2013 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll through my 2 cents in the conversation. I demoed the SJ Evo and the TBLT, while both are great bikes, it came down to feel. I opted for the TBLT. I couldn't be happier! The TBLT had that, "in the bike" feel as opposed to , "on the bike feel". This was a huge difference maker for me.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Old Rip9 Alloy is nothing like the New Rip9 RDO so they are not the same or even close to it.

At my seat height with the same seat & post the Rip9 RDO seat is 15mm closer to the rear axle, if you string line it.

It is also over a lb lighter, Has 11mm more travel in the rear, Is much stiffer & the CVA isn't the same & neither is the rear shock.

RIP 9 Alu, not the RDO - please excuse my extrapolated performance. I recognize the marginally shorter stays and travel increase would make a subtle difference, but probably not enough to sway me.

I know several people that swear by the RIPs and Niner makes a great product, just not my cup of tea. The RIP Felt taller and more forward weight biased than the LTC, EVO, SB-95 or Spider Comp This same feel carries over to their hardtails I have ridden as well. It is just Niner's design philosophy from I can tell from my limited experience with the brand. I prefer the ride to feel low with a weight bias further to the rear, ala Species and Yeti's take on most of their rigs.

Don't take my comment as a knock on the bike, as this feel is preferred by many. That is why it is great to have options from different manufacturers to accomodate different needs. I ended up buying the Spider Comp due to its availability but would have preferred an SB95 carbon if it was out when I was purchasing. That 95 was a great ride in my opinion!

Having said all that, the new Enduro has intriguing geometry to me and would be where I was looking if I needed more travel. Unfortunately, I, like the poster, was looking for something a little less.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 04-18-2013 at 03:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have to agree with lb412; short stem makes a difference.

I'm biased towards my Tallboy LTc. 35mm stem for me. Just had a trip to St-George, Hurricane, Laguna Beach and Moab with the bike. Being in the Canadian Rockies, our trail system is completely different.

Of note, way faster than my old Nomad. Captain Ahab was a hoot on my LTc.

Just my biased 0.02...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode a TBLT and a Yeti SB95. I liked the Yeti better, but i like my Transition Bandit 29 better than either i think (hard to say without back to back rides). It's the 2012 Bandit with 130 rear 140 front travel. The TBLT seemed to feel pretty XC. The yeti didn't feel as plush as i like, but to be fair, it probably had too much air in the susp. for me, it was setup for a friend.

I'd like to ride a RIP 9, on paper, it doesn't appeal to me. Long rear end, steep geo. But on the trail, that doesn't necessarily mean much. I agree the new enduro looks interesting but too much travel for me. I'm assuming that the next stumpjumper is going to have a much shorter rear end by using the same technology. Could be cool but i don't think i like FSR.

Bottom line, you gotta ride 'em. Or just pick one and convince yourself that you like it, regardless of the ride quality, which a lot of people do (probably myself included).
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    Turner Sultan

Name:  2013_Sultan_Exp+_Green_300.png
Views: 582
Size:  89.7 KB

mtbr member
    I'd wait for the daddy, Specialized Enduro Comp 29

2014 Specialized S-Works Enduro 29 SE - First Look and First Ride - Pinkbike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast