mtbr member
    Jul 2014

getting back at it with 2012 trek xcaliber

hi all, just bought a 2012 Trek Xcaliber today. Hopefully got a good deal. It came with egg beater pedals on it. I have bought some Bontrager multi-sport shoes and need to know what type of cleat works best. I'm also looking at buying some half clip pedals and half regular pedals. Any recommendations? I was so exited buying it today, I took it out to some local trails and rode with my tennis shoes and the egg beater pedals. That added a whole new level of challenge. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd save those pedals for later or never and develop your skills with platforms and tennis shoes.
    This video will describe the 'low heels' technique for sticking to platforms.
    Your bike should have a dual air Reba fork. It is one of the best and very tunable. You need a shock pump.

mtbr member

What did you pay for it? I purchased shimano m530 pedals because they are adjustable and very easy to get your feet out of.

If you purchase new clipless pedals they will come with cleats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newbeee View Post
    hi all, just bought a 2012 Trek Xcaliber today. Hopefully got a good deal. It came with egg beater pedals on it. I have bought some Bontrager multi-sport shoes and need to know what type of cleat works best. I'm also looking at buying some half clip pedals and half regular pedals. Any recommendations? I was so exited buying it today, I took it out to some local trails and rode with my tennis shoes and the egg beater pedals. That added a whole new level of challenge. lol
    Congrats on getting the bike! It is a nice one and should serve you well. I would just commit to clipless pedals or flat pedals, those dual sided pedals can be a pain in the butt. If you stay with those eggbeaters you will need these Amazon.com : CRANK BROTHERS Premium Cleats : Bike Pedal Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors. Another option would be to buy some cheap flat pedals and see what pedal system you like better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    Congrats on getting the bike! It is a nice one and should serve you well. I would just commit to clipless pedals or flat pedals, those dual sided pedals can be a pain in the butt. If you stay with those eggbeaters you will need these Amazon.com : CRANK BROTHERS Premium Cleats : Bike Pedal Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors. Another option would be to buy some cheap flat pedals and see what pedal system you like better.
    Thanks for the info I paid $650.00 guy had it listed on Craigslist for a few weeks and had started at $850 then relisted a few times with a lower price... I did buys some regular metal pedals last night, just to get the feel of riding a mountain bike on trails again.

mtbr member

Damn that's a really good deal if it's in good shape. Just paid $1200 for a 2013 left over brand new at my lbs.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    Damn that's a really good deal if it's in good shape. Just paid $1200 for a 2013 left over brand new at my lbs.
    The one thing I like about the 2012 is it has the Reba Dual Air Fork.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member

At first I hated the single air reba but now it seems very plush and smooth.

I actually like that I can't "tweak" it more. That just saves me the headache of constantly changing settings.