mtbr member

garybar vs. midge?

Is there any difference between these bars? I hated the midge due to the very short area on the drops.Its hard to tell from the pictures but the garys look longer.
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

mtbr member
    Also whats the difference between the Gary bar & the Garybar2?
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think the Gary 2 is more similar to the Midge than the original Gary, but still different than the Midge. It has less flare (lateral, outward angle as the bar drops into the hooks) than the original Gary. I don't know about other dimensions distinguishing the three bars, but I bet somebody like Shiggy on this forum does--he seems to know a lot about dirt drops. I run the Gary 2s. They're okay, but I'd like them more if they were shaped more like the original Gary's or the old WTP drops, with more outward flare.

formerly Giantxc
    The original Gary bar has a longer area in the drops but also flares out significantly more. It's basically in between the Midge and mustache bar. I have both and like the Midge better on my CX bike with road STI levers..

Mtn Biker Machinist

Salsa

If you want long drop extensions, get the Salsa Woodchipper.

It is so long, that when I installed bar-end shifters on mine, it is a bit too much of a reach to shift. But the overall shape/feel is better for me than the Gary's.

Search for Gary, Midge, Woodchipper in the forums, there are lots of threads to read, and even one with a comparison shot of several drop bars (on the VRC forum IIRC).

frog

Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I believe the Gary GT used in that comparison was the original. The Gary 2 is different, as others have mentioned. I am not sure the original Gary is readily available. Make sure you know which one you want and which you're getting if you go that route.
    DirtBrothers PA, est. 2006
    Bound By Dirt

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    Also whats the difference between the Gary bar & the Garybar2?
    Interestingly enough, we looked this up a few weeks ago in the BTI Catalog....same part number. And from what I could tell just holding one (and owning a Gary bar myself) i couldn't tell much difference if any.

I have both the Gary and the Midge. I like the Gary a lot (it was my "first" dirt drop) and still have it on my fixed gear, but when I got the Midge it was put on the monstercross/cross (depending on tires each week) and has stayed there. Really both have their qualities.

I do have a Ragley Luxy on the way (I think it's swimming right now...kidding Brant) and that looks great too. 31.8mm straight across...that's pretty damn tough. I don't feel as though my Midge is flexy, but this may change my mind.

As it stands, if you are going mostly off road with this rig....I'd say go Midge. I think it's shape lends itself well. If this is an "all around" bike or mostly road/gravel type stuff I like the narrowness of the Gary better for such. Hard to pick one
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser