Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gary Fisher Supercaliber 29 Ride Pics

I took the first ride on the new prototype on Thursday across the street from the factory at our trails. The bike rode great. Felt agile and suprisingly plush, I used all three inches of travel while never bottoming out. It was quick in and out of corners and really confident at speed. I think that it handled closer to my hardtail then a Sugar does. The RockShox Motion Control on the rear shock is sweet.

We don't post weights of prototypes, but I'm confident that when we get to the final version it will be impressive.

If you want detail pics of the frame then you should check out twentynineinches.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by FisherGuy
    I took the first ride on the new prototype on Thursday across the street from the factory at our trails. The bike rode great. Felt agile and suprisingly plush, I used all three inches of travel while never bottoming out. It was quick in and out of corners and really confident at speed. I think that it handled closer to my hardtail then a Sugar does. The RockShox Motion Control on the rear shock is sweet.

We don't post weights of prototypes, but I'm confident that when we get to the final version it will be impressive.

If you want detail pics of the frame then you should check out twentynineinches.com.
    That thing looks great!! You should offer it in raw. I think it looks better than painted!!

mtbr member

thanks Fisherguy

For the post.

I like the Raw Al too.

Is this still genesis geometry?

What size is that a photo of? I never liked the extreme top tube bend of the sugars, and this doesn't seem quite so bad.

Thanks again
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

(was) Big in Japan

It has been decided.

I just found my new bike.

Could you box up a medium, and send it to Japan please?

Thanks for making such great bikes!

Chris
    Ride.

Harmonius Wrench

Thanks For The Update!

I am very excited to see the final version of this bike. Are we still talking about a Spring time release date? Could be the destination for my tax refund!

mtbr member
    Excellent.

Now I have to have the Race Day, and an El Capitan to go with my 293. Oh, and a better paying employer and a garage cleaning operation.
    Can we have too many 29er bicycle choices?

AOF
    soft / 34/ married

Whoa!

Offer it in the RAW!!!!
    Looks awesome.
    Sign me up for 1 XL of those and 1 XL Rig.
    What more could a guy need?

-dan
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Witty McWitterson
    So I was meaning to ask at teh Trek show, but never realy did. Are those trails open for the public to ride, or are they only for Trek employees? They were pretty damned fun, I'll tell you that!

Race Day in the flesh. Nice. This will be verrry tempting for me. Another custom steel, or the RaceDay? Will the RaceDay be offered in different level packages(Mid - High - Bling?)? As a frameset? No clue yet? This post will certainly pique interest and drive demand. Thanks Ryan.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Marty,

Dexter doesn't show a frameset, but I seem to recall hearing at the show that it would be available as a frameset. I sure hope so, because I have pretty much a full build for a frame like that. That was one of the hottest bikes at the show!

YO MAMA

mtbr member
    Geeee thanks. I was already having a tough time deciding on which bike to get and now you guys at GF go and build this! I'm really not happy right now. You're making an already difficult decision even harder. Supercal, Leviathan or Asylum?

OK, I'm kidding. Damn! That looks sweet! Light and fast. Gotta say I like the naked aluminum look as well. We got some serious choices for fs XC bikes now don't we?

When will we be seeing this in the stores? 2007 you say? Good, I can't wait that long. Guess I'll have to get something else in the meantime.

Cheers!
    -Ian

mtbr member

This is a large frame. I'm splitting time with the product manager and engineer on it for the next few days, then it gets boxed and shipped off to Colorado. Travis Brown and JHK are getting together with the PM and engineer for a couple of days of testing. With all of our feedback, round two prototype will be built and tested. It will be interesting to see how much it changes.

I was hoping to be able to keep the bike for a week. I'm headed on a personal trip with my brother next week down to Arkansas. We are going to ride the Ouachita trails for a couple of days and camp. Would have been the perfect testing grounds too. By the way, does anyone have a suggestion an whether I should bring my single speed or multi on that trip?

The trails across the street are on private land. You have to be an employee with a signed waiver or an approved guest to ride them. With all of the stunts the liability would be too high if they were open to the public. If you are ever in the area let me know. We can head over for a couple of laps.

I'm off to the last WORS race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Ouachita Trail itself is pretty tough in some sections, with hike a bike areas, so bring a bike that you don’t mind carrying. The Ouachita “area” of Arkansas has some other sweet trails that any bike particularly a 29er will thrive on. One of Mr. Fishers factory riders, I think his name is Cameron Chambers, kicked butt on a Fisher 29er this April during the Ouachita Challenge 60 mile race. Mr. Fisher did pretty well too as I remember.

Bottom line is you can’t really go wrong with any bike you bring as long as it’s a 29er. That section of Arkansas seems ideal for a 29er. I can’t wait for any one of my new 29ers to arrive so I can get back over there. Have a great trip!

Cassoulet forever !
    Thanks for the info, FisherGuy.

Could you tell us about any 29 tubeless tire/rims combo coming from Bontrager ?
    We have heard rumors on that for quite some time, and i have been disapointed that nothing showed up for this year.

I would really LOVE a "Tubeless Ready" Jones XR / special rim combo !!!!

Are you guys waiting for hutchinson michelin and mavic to launch to the public UST for road whells ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    One more vote for the finish to be offered RAW- could be called 'Sushi'
    -the frame design's very compelling- spare, straightforward and honest. This is a bike Howard Roark would ride.
    Nice job!

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Damn! I want one. I wish that they had that bike ready for Trek worlds, I would have loved to ride that bike on those trails. They were some of the best trails I've ever ridden. I can't wait 'til those bikes are available. Chalk up another vote for Raw!

Fisher Guy, Tell Mock that he needs to bring that bike to Northfield!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theCush
    One more vote for the finish to be offered RAW- could be called 'Sushi'
    -the frame design's very compelling- spare, straightforward and honest. This is a bike Howard Roark would ride.
    Nice job!

I also would be in for the raw finish. I had a Cannondale 1FG that was raw...I loved that look. It would also save some weight and mainly it would save me from worrying about any paint chips!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll take one in raw too please.

Recovering couch patato
    My Cube bike is raw/clearcoat with just a bunch of suptle but colorful decals. Very nice. Actually the team colors too. And lighter than powdercoat.

mtbr member

Someone had to say it!

Quote Originally Posted by FisherGuy

That basic design +2"=

Need a trail-bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lookin' Good

Hey Fisher guy, this bike is just what I have in mind. I for one prefer a simple single pivot design. There may be advantages to the vaunted Horst link but I would lay money down that lots of riders couldn't tell the difference in a "blind" ride test between a Horst bike and a properly designed single pivot frame.

Also, please try to convince the powers that be that you would lose sales if you don't offer a frame only option as well as complete bikes. My days of buying a complete bike off the floor are long gone and I think many 29er riders fee the same.

Keep em' coming
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rigidity

Fisherguy,

I'm in the process of sifting through the Full sussers to settle on buying a new one and have owned two sugar 29ers. My only complaint was the lack of lateral rigidity of the rear end - felt a little squirrelly on the sugars. Perhaps you could comment on the Supercal vs the sugar in this department.

Thanks!

no fat chicks
    you know what's cool about raw aluminum bikes..
    you can polish em up real chromey like
    and scare horses really bad out on the trail
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

what?

how can a shiney bike that scares horses possibly be cool???
    1)spook's the horse, the horse freak's out and hurt's it's rider or the dummy riding the said bike................not good no matter how you look at it!
    2) pissing off the equestrians,(which have way more moneythan most mtbr's) isn't good
    especially when we have to share the trail's with them, and makes land mgr's job's THAT '
    much harder....which ='s less trails for all of us to ride in the long run.

still think scaring the horses is COOL??

no fat chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by epicmadness

still think scaring the horses is COOL??

affirmative
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Fisherguy, when you coming to Arkansas?
    I'm out of Hot Springs close to some of the best riding in the area.
    Be sure to ride the Syllamo trail in mountain view and don't forget the Womble trail.
    The Ouachita trail is a sweet ride but much rougher than the womble.
    Here is a link with most of the trails in Arkansas.
    www.mtbark.com
    Let me know what dates you will be here, maybe we can hook up for a ride.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast