mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29 Impressions

Someone is selling a HiFi Pro 29 locally. I really had my heart set on something diffrent. But if I can work out a deal I'll get that? What's everyone's impressions on this bike? A personal pet peive of mine is a loud bike is this bike quite? How's it compared to other 29'ers? I'm riding a 26" Cannondale right now and love it compared to my Giant FS 26" but want to make a jump to the 29'er catagory. I have a limited budget of about $2500 are there better options out there? I could get this one for $2500 it's a $3500 bike NEW. Seem's like a good deal.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm You are correct! Thanks for playing...

Quote Originally Posted by gmascagni
    I really had my heart set on something different.
    There's your answer.

If you would like something else, buy something else. If you can't afford the something else, save up for it. Follow your heart...

Disclosure: I would state this answer, which is my OPINION, no matter what bicycle the OP was looking for, since he provided the info. Please do not construe this as anti-anybikebrand. I have no hidden agenda. I am not compensated in any way for my responses. Thank you.

davidcarson48
    It is a helluva deal. I have one and love it. You need to decide if getting a deal on a highly-rated bike is more important than getting what you really want.

As for how loud the bike is...huh? You mean the free hub body? It's very quiet compared to a Hope Pro II.

mtbr member
    What model year? How much has it been ridden?

Remember that warranties don't transfer. Factor that into your decision.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    it's an 2010 with not many miles on it at all. Does GF make good bikes in general as compared to a typical mass produced bike like Cannondale or Giant, Trek, and Specialized? I'm more concerned with thier full suspension design. Are they as efficient on climbs and bumps et as lets say a Specialized FSR?.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    What model year? How much has it been ridden?

Remember that warranties don't transfer. Factor that into your decision.
    My issue right now is that I've sold my Cannondale Rush and I've got the money and no bike to go riding. The Bike I want is around 4K and I just wont save or spend that much on a bike. So I'm in a position where I'm willing to compromise. I just want to know if it's a good bike and worth $2500

This is the bike.
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hifi-pro-29
    Last edited by gmascagni; 10-19-2010 at 08:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, I've got the 2008 version in blue. My biggest beef is that I wish I had the red color released in 2009. I also notice some flex in the rear end (the bike's, not mine). Otherwise, the bike's been great and ridden and abused it a great deal. I've also let various kids ride and abuse it. The bike has held up.

Everything changed in 2010 though. The frame was redesigned. What you're looking at is a completely different bike to what I'm riding. It's got Active Braking Pivot (ABP), which is a very good thing.

FWIW, I do feel that GF makes good bikes. I like what they've got going on these days in the 29er space. I have the Hifi that I bought a couple years back, and I've got a hardtail (a 26er, sorry) that I just bought this year. So I put my money where my mouth is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmascagni
    Does GF make good bikes in general as compared to a typical mass produced bike like Cannondale or Giant, Trek, and Specialized?
    A Gary Fisher is a Trek. Trek is GF's parent company.

Rider and Wrench
    The 2010 is supposed to address some of the flex issues of the earlier models and of course add the ABP which is a nice addition-

I ride with a guy who trashes bikes he has had a cdale with a lefty (I forget which one Jekel or other mid travel F/S) for the past few years and ended up getting a screaming deal on an 09' hifi (just below the pro I think) for ~$1500 new... he loves it, He is not a "gear head" guy doesn't care too much about the marketing hype of this or that he just gets on and pedals like a mad man until something breaks... which the Fisher has resisted for the past year, not a small task for a ~250 lb beast who can't hear all that well... no bike is safe!

My only hesitation which was already mentioned is the lack of warranty... $2500 is not a bad deal for the Pro but there are lots of great deals on used bikes for $2000-2500 as that is a nice chunk of cash for a used bike... and not to bash GF bikes as I have no beef but most people I know who have them have had a frame issue at some point... which is happily covered if you have a warranty... It doesn't mean run away from the deal... just factor that into the price.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Naturally Organic
    Get a Niner...
    Jet 9 for shorter travel (80mm)
    Rip 9 for mid travel (115mm)
    WFO 9 for long travel (140mm)

Oh snap...does this make me an anti-GF shill...I can't catch a break...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been checking the classifieds but havent found a "Grea Deal" for 2000-2500. If you see one let me know. The good thing is it's a total buyers market right now. New 11 models are coming out and the season will soon be over so there should be lots of great deals over the next couple of months. I did test ride a SantaCrus Tallboy today at the LBS unfortunately it's carbon. No carbon bikes for me. I know two too many people that have cracked the frames on a used carbon bike and guess what no warrenty.

Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    The 2010 is supposed to address some of the flex issues of the earlier models and of course add the ABP which is a nice addition-

I ride with a guy who trashes bikes he has had a cdale with a lefty (I forget which one Jekel or other mid travel F/S) for the past few years and ended up getting a screaming deal on an 09' hifi (just below the pro I think) for ~$1500 new... he loves it, He is not a "gear head" guy doesn't care too much about the marketing hype of this or that he just gets on and pedals like a mad man until something breaks... which the Fisher has resisted for the past year, not a small task for a ~250 lb beast who can't hear all that well... no bike is safe!

My only hesitation which was already mentioned is the lack of warranty... $2500 is not a bad deal for the Pro but there are lots of great deals on used bikes for $2000-2500 as that is a nice chunk of cash for a used bike... and not to bash GF bikes as I have no beef but most people I know who have them have had a frame issue at some point... which is happily covered if you have a warranty... It doesn't mean run away from the deal... just factor that into the price.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I ride a 2011 Rumblefish 1. Rumblefish and HiFis share the same frame and differ slightly in suspension. If you like the ride of the bike and it fits your riding style get it. I love my 'fish and the HiFi would be similar.

If you have your heart set on something else, get something else.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have my heart on getting the best possible deal :-) Assuming the bike fits properly and it's a decent spec around the XT line I've been testing a ton of 29'ers lately Cannondale HT, SantaCruz Tallboy NICE!, GF, Niner hard tail. Scott 29er HT, Specialized Epic 29er Comp NICE but color is nasty. They all seem like really really good bikes. So I cant say I really have a prefrence on manufacture like I used too. I have a preference now on just getting a 29er at the best possible deal regardless of manufacture in the "well known good brands" Since they all seem really good I'm just looking for the best possible deal. Call me cheap but that's how it is. I havent road a FS 29er I didnt like. Now I can tell you that I wont be buying a 29er hard tail. I'm also wanting a XT bike as most of the 29ers have 3x9 were as trail or allround mountain bikes typically just 10x. Most of my riding is xc.

mtbr member
    I have one. It's a great bike, very versatile and a solid frame. I am actually going to buy another one as the 17.5 is a hair small for me. Going to be selling the frame and fork.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm $1000 off...best possible deal?

Did the Pivot Mach 429 for $2700 XT/SLX (brand new with warranty) not work?
    http://treads.com/product/10-pivot-c...it-63584-1.htm

Just as a comparison, speedgoat has a full XT spec on closeout for $3900...
    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.asp...186&Prod=19258

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a 2008 HiFi 29er with one break in the rear triangle that was covered by warranty. I love Fisher but I would not buy a used one.

If you can find a new 2010.... buy it, as it has a better warranty than the 2011. I know that there are 2010 HiFi's still out there..... I have seen them in the last 3 weeks, might take some work though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er

Man, that is a screamin deal on the 429! What do you think that bike/spec would weigh in an XL?

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by homer8
    I have a 2008 HiFi 29er with one break in the rear triangle that was covered by warranty. I love Fisher but I would not buy a used one.

If you can find a new 2010.... buy it, as it has a better warranty than the 2011. I know that there are 2010 HiFi's still out there..... I have seen them in the last 3 weeks, might take some work though.
    I agree. I'm on my third warranty repair. I wouldn't buy another HiFi, especially without a lifetime warranty. They're built too light and instead of beefing them up they are limiting their warranty. Their problem is now yours.

With a lifetime warranty it's an OK bike at a great price. Without the warranty it's an OK bike at an enticing price, but it's going to cost you in the end. For that, I'd buy a better bike that is stouter with a better suspension design.

Rider and Wrench
    The Pivot for $2800 sounded like a nice deal new... I know your saying you have been looking but if you have the cash used bike deals are out there- The great deals don't grow on trees but they pop up here and there- the right size etc... makes it tough to get the whole mix down. Would you consider building it Vs buying it whole? mixing some new with used?

For some rough gauges on a build based on getting a hold of good quality used and some even new- I have a bad habbit of watching too see what stuff sells for...prices always vary but this is a start

$200-400 Wheels (DT specialized or hope on Arch/Flow etc..)
    $300-400 Fork Reba or Fox
    $200 Disc Brakes- Elixir CR's etc...
    $150-180 XT 770 9 speed cranks
    $70 XT 9 speed shifters
    $65 XT Rear Der
    $25 XT Front Der
    $65 Thomson x4 stem
    $65 Thomson elite post
    $18 Grips
    $18 Cables
    $80 Carbon bars
    $60 Tires

$1646 Total on the higher end $1346 on the lower end (of course $100 in misc like headset etc... if the frame doesn't have one)

This leaves $1000-1300 or so for a frame... I recently purchased a near perfect 429 frame in this range, you can also get some rip 9's (new version), Jet 9's etc... TNT Turner Sultan, Ventana... in there- sure still used but if your afraid of carbon...

All of this said a deal is only a deal if you like the bike and it fits your needs/wants what was your heart set on? can you get it frame only... dumbing down some of the other less important parts and upgrading as cash allows? Just another option-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Bad Zen Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce9er

Good luck getting this deal. I didn't see this ad but happened to talk to all three of these shops today about whether or not they had a 429 and the answer was no. Also as far as I know, the 2010 429 wasn't offered with SLX.

Anyway, I live in Colorado and have been keeping my eye out for a clean medium Pivot 429 with full XT build for about $3,000. I got one already and I'm looking/waiting for a second.

Meanwhile, may look into a Niner or another FS 29er.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Littleton, CO...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles2go
    Meanwhile, may look into a Niner or another FS 29er.
    Niner RIP9 with X7/XT $3000 (120mm Fox)
    Niner Jet9 with X7/XT $3100 (100mm Reba XX)
    http://bigkahunabicycles.com/product...-deals--hl245/