mtbr member
    Nov 2006

G2 fork on Karate Monkey?

I'm ignorant of both 29ers and suspension forks - would the increased trail on a G2 Reba (set to 80mm presumably) cause problems on a Karate Monkey?

mtbr member
    I changed my Reba from the stock offset (38mm) to the G2 offset (51mm) on my Gunnar Rockhound. My Gunnar is a bit slacker than your KM, I think 71.5* head angle vs. 72*, but pretty close. Anyway, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I couldn't really tell any difference. It's not like it suddenly jumped from slow or stable to an evil twitchy mess.

I should've just saved the money I spent on the new crown and steerer assembly. Oh well...
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by lucero
    I'm ignorant of both 29ers and suspension forks - would the increased trail on a G2 Reba (set to 80mm presumably) cause problems on a Karate Monkey?
    You are mixing trail and offset. More offset means less trail.

Stock Karate Monkey fork have more offset than classical. A KL should ride fine with a G2 fork.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You are mixing your L's and your M's Vincent ;-)

I've ridden an 80mm G2 fork on a Singular Swift and Pegasus which have similar front end geometry to a Karate Monkey and while it is definitely quicker steering than say a 38mm Reba it's certainly not un-rideable. If you tend to prefer handling fast and sharp I'm sure you'd find it fine.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles