mtbr member
    May 2011

G2 bikes with non G2 forks. Whats your opinion?

Some people seem to like it, other hate it. I have a GF Rig and liked it with the stock Fox out front but like the way it handles even better with a steel salsa fork. I'm thinking a Rock Shox Sid xx is going to be the next upgrade. I feel the bike is more stable with the G2 fork but it handles faster with a non G2 rigid fork. How do they handle with non G2 suspension forks?

banned
    Apr 2009
    The steering is quicker (here is mine.)
    Last edited by 247; 01-16-2013 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    couldn't you compensate for the quicker steering by getting a slightly longer than spec fork for the frame?. ...I mean if you're into that kind of thing.

Happy Trails
    Works fine on my Titus RacerX 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    The steering is quicker (here is mine.)
    If the steering is quicker due to a non G2 fork it would be because you changed the A to C not because you shortened the G2 rake . More rake (G2-51mm ) is faster steering not slower as you are implying.

mtbr member
    Using a non-G2 suspension will not negatively effect your hard tail. My old Paragon handled just fine with a non-G2 100mm F29 fork. The bike was stable and nimble. Honestly, I couldn't tell much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I went non G2 but also added 20mm travel on my Mamba.

I couldn't be happier. I went into great detail of handling and ride quality in the 29er thread in Treks sub forum. Check it out if you want more info!

BAM
    Jan 2013
    whats the largest tire size i can put on my 2012 wahoo GF and any suggestions on which brand/models for (mud/rock/hard pack), my buddie has a stock marlin and stuck a 2.3 on the rear and cant get all his gears anymore, the guide hits the tire, is that normal or dose he have somting els going on

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My 2.25 Nobby Nic rubbed the FD in granny gear when standing. It rubbed the center down in a ride enough to make it go away, not recommended though.

Every tire manufacture has different real world sizing. You can always get a different FD to add clearance as well. If I had to generalize a size limit I'd say a 2.2.

BAM
    Jan 2013
    Thank u for your help headed in the right direction now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here is a FD I saved a link to, from another clearance thread for our frames.

Good luck!

Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M661 SLX Front Derailleur - 9 Speed

banned
    Apr 2009
    If the steering is quicker due to a non G2 fork it would be because you changed the A to C not because you shortened the G2 rake . More rake (G2-51mm ) is faster steering not slower as you are implying.
    That is Incorrecto!! I found this out a year ago in another thread (they explained why a 46mm fork on a G2 frame would have quicker steering than the 51mm fork would...

My 2.25 Nobby Nic rubbed the FD in granny gear when standing.
    On my G1 Paragon I had a 2.3 that rubbed and had to get derailer adjusted. But on my new Superfly frame I have a 2.25 and have a lot of clearance. I am going to put a 2.35 Hans Damp on front and rear! But this bike does have a brand new XT front derailer..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Yup, that's what Sam Schultz said at Seaotter a couple years back.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.