mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Fully Rigid, Steel

I'm going to be in the market for a new bike this February so I'm trying to do my reasearch now. Given my size (5'11" 250lbs) I've decided I want a rigid steel frame. My issue is I am having trouble finding fully rigid, geared, steel frame bikes other than the Surly Ogre. I have found lots of SS but only the one geared. Maybe I just don't know where to look any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Your budget? There are many options. Some, all you have to do is add gears.

Raleigh XXIX+g (has a Fox fork, but you can sell it easily)
    Niner SIR/MCR
    Salsa Fargo
    Redline Monocog Flight (need to add gears)

Probably a few more. Also, there is a lot of steel frames that you can build up yourself. I'm about to build up a rigid steel bike, too, and will be trying a Jones. Pretty pricey, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm hoping to come in around $1,500 but that may be negotiable depending on the ride.

mtbr member
    I'm building up a Kona Unit with gears now. It has cable stops, all that is needed is an optional derailleur hanger.

There is also the Salsa El Mariachi complete. It comes with a susp. fork but that can be easily swapped for their rigid Cromoto grande fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    OnOne Inbred. Makes a great rigid.

mtbr member
    Civilian Luditte = Rigid 29er, single speed....steel frame, carbon fork and derailer hanger....Mine came with the hanger, I think you have to purchase it now with the bike.

Excellent bike for the money, Great geometry.

Civilian Young Turk = Same frame as the Luditte, Rock shox Reba, 1x10 and different colors.

Both on sale right now at Realcyclist.com. My Luditte was shipped free to Ca and no sales tax!
    Last edited by borbntm; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Vassago should be producing the Bandersnatch and the Jabberwocky again in mid-December. They also make amatching ODIS steel fork. I think both can be geared. You should easily be able to fund a build within your budget with either of these frames.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

psycho cyclo addict
    You can build up a SIR 9 for under $1500 if you get a used frame. I just did... been running a front sus fork on it until I install the Niner steel fork I just acquired. A frame and fork in good shape should run < $600 total. I've been riding 3 aluminum 29er's for ~3 years. The steel frame definitely feels springy by comparison and more forgiving w/ a bit of flex on the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the above Luddite and it's a lot of bike for the money. Those $200 On One frames and $149 carbon forks are pretty tempting however, I may build a leftovers bikes with that frame for kicks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Civilian Luditte = Rigid 29er, single speed....steel frame, carbon fork and derailer hanger....Mine came with the hanger, I think you have to purchase it now with the bike.

Excellent bike for the money, Great geometry.

Civilian Young Turk = Same frame as the Luditte, Rock shox Reba, 1x10 and different colors.

Both on sale right now at Realcyclist.com. My Luditte was shipped free to Ca and no sales tax!

Man, that's an awesome deal! Carbon fork and all for that price--how can you go wrong! Too bad I already have a decent rigid steel ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Man, that's an awesome deal! Carbon fork and all for that price--how can you go wrong! Too bad I already have a decent rigid steel ride...
    For a time they were $636!