Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Full suss version of my TransAm29

I'm seriously considering a new 29 full suspension. I freaking love my TransAm29 but I do ride my Yeti ASR5 when I'm not in the mood for the HT. Lately when I'm on the Yeti I'm longing for the big wheels. There's just something about the 29 which has me hooked. Yes, after many 26 bikes the TA is my first foray into big wheels.

So, to my question... other than the Bandit 29, which isn't exactly a clone of the TA, what FS 29ers have similar geo to the TA? I'd love to keep it to a 4 inch rear but with the whole industry moving further towards the "more travel=better" philosophy, a 5 inch bike will suffice. The old and new Salsa Horsetheif (edit) was on my radar.

FWIW, I get by well on the Yeti ASR5 despite the 26 wheels and very progressive rear suspension. I'm not looking for a plush sofa, I'm just wanting to take the sting off a bit. I keep both wheels on the ground most of the time but love bombing thru rocky and rooty sections.

What should I be looking at? Thanks!
    Last edited by mnigro; 07-07-2014 at 06:12 AM.

74 & 29 pilot
    How much do you want to spend and what material do you want, carbon or alloy? Actually in the 29er field there are a lot of good bike in the 100-130mm range.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Full suss version of my TransAm29

I ride my nimble steel 29 hard tail (Honzo) more than I ever thought I would so I think I get what you're looking for.

A playful dual suspension 29? Check out the geometry and verbiage on Banshee Phantom and Kona Process 111. I've tested Trek Remedy 29 and it was more slack and very confidence inspiring in ways but not pumpable like an AM hard tail. The lower rear travel and short chain stay of the first two or similar might do it for you.
    Last edited by bitflogger; 07-07-2014 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mtb pilot, had t thought much about frame material. My biggest problem is that most 29ers with desired geo are longer travel bikes. My main objective is geo.

Bitclogger, I think you're on the right path. I'll check those out.

tg
    mtbr member
    Check out the Satori=big fun factor!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full suss version of my TransAm29-downsized_0802131005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I tested 2014 Trek Superfly 100 and loved it, than a 2014 Salsa Spearfish and really liked the Split Pivot design and the way rear feels and how they climb and brake. Than the tested the 2014 Pivot Mach 429 carbon and bought it. The frame has more weight than the others but you will think its lighter on the trail, the transfer of power with DW suspension is so smooth. I can get out of the saddle and climb like a hardtail, it breaks with no hop going fast down hill. This bike handles like a 26er, the frame is stiffer than any other 29er FS frame on the market. No creaks or rattles on this bike, this bike just makes me want to ride more, its that good!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    +1 on the Pivot 429 carbon. Demoed one last week. Fun, playful and climbs really well, in fact better than the Pivot Les carbon HT I took out right after my first ride. The best part is it pedals really well with shock in the open position, just shoots uphill.

,,,and it is FAST! on the flats and downhill........I'm having a hard time riding my 2011 STJ FSR now, upgrade time.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks dgw. I made a mistake in my OP and mentioned the spearfish. I had intended to write the Horsetheif. That's very close to what I'm after. I've had horrible experiences with my old El Kaboing, to the point that I sold it. Not sure I'm ready to give Salsa another shot but maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another thing about the Pivot with 120mm up front and 100mm rear, you will think the rear has more than 100 travel and no need to adjust the rear while riding just keep in open position like rushman3 said. Also someone told me that 'Pivot" one of fasted growing company's in mtb, only been around for 6 years. Everybody staring to talk about "Pivot", hard to get a frame right now is the only problem. I always call a company before I buy, one call to them that sealed the deal!! Great people!!

MTB B'dos
    Sounds to me like a Banshee Phantom is exactly what you're looking for - 105mm rear travel, designed around a 120mm fork, adjustable geo between 67.5*/68*/68.5* HTA, 17.3-17.5" stays, BB <13.75". Ride is efficient and spritely, but when you point it DH or at some chunk, you'd be hard pressed to tell you only have that little travel out back. Been loving mine now for just a smidge over 3 months, absolutely most amazing bike for me and my trails, has not let me down, has really encouraged me to push harder all over, but especially more so on the fast DHs where I wouldn't have before. Here's mine below enjoying some Caribbean sunshine.

and a report from a new Phantom owner.....
    Picked up my Banshee Phantom frame and bits from Pedals Cycles in Edinburgh, UK yesterday. Not sure how they managed to get me one so soon before they should be here but whatever they did I'm hugely grateful. Much to recommend them as a shop, very helpful and have bent over backwards to accommodate my (slightly Diva-like in hindsight) wishes.

Built up last night, first ride today and wow, what a bike! Rode very like the Spitfire I demoed but without the irritating floppy steering and it pedalled up hill better. For a short travel bike I was amazed at how it rode (floated) down chunky stuff, felt so much more controlled and composed than my Heckler ever did.

But best of all every trail felt so much fun. It smoothed everything out but without having all sensation erased by the suspension. A big wheeled bouncy BMX if you will. Easy to manual, hop, wheelie, move around and generally ping off every lip or drop going but rolls like a monster truck. Hats off to Keith and Banshee for coming up with this bike.

Maybe a bit of new bike tinted spectacles going on but I'm loving it. A proper UK trail bike in my eyes.

Last edited by LyNx; 07-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Damn Lynx. That phantom looks promising. I'll start to investigate.

mtbr member

Re: Full suss version of my TransAm29

Contact Scott at switchbackbikes.com they're closing out the thumpers for nothing. Best bike imaginable for the money.

It's a Kona Satori front triangle with an fsr rear suspension.

unrooted
    I would say the closest thing to a Trans Am 29 (I used to own one) would be the Phantom of the Transition Bandit.

Not sure how much work you do on your own bikes, but i do all of my own work and refuse to buy a bike with a press fit bottom bracket which limits which bikes I'll even consider.

I am currently riding a Banshee Prime, which has very similar geometry to the Trans Am and rides similarly as well.

The problem is that most 100mm bikes are built more for xc than trail/AM, but the transition and banshee bikes are perfect for what you are looking for.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I have a 6" travel 26" bike and both the Canfield YS and N9. I'd love an aggressive shorter travel 29er.

Just some random bikes that I'd like to check out...

Banshee Phantom
    Nicolai Helius TB
    Transition Bandit
    Devinci Atlas
    Ibis Ripley
    Lenz Behemoth Punkass
    Kona Process 111
    BMC Speedfox

I have never ridden any of these and some are a little out of the "shorter travel" realm.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Check out the Satori=big fun factor!
    Nice bike! I really like that color.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Your killing me, i have the same stump jumper.... and going on a road trip soon.... maybe ill need to get a new bike

Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    +1 on the Pivot 429 carbon. Demoed one last week. Fun, playful and climbs really well, in fact better than the Pivot Les carbon HT I took out right after my first ride. The best part is it pedals really well with shock in the open position, just shoots uphill.

,,,and it is FAST! on the flats and downhill........I'm having a hard time riding my 2011 STJ FSR now, upgrade time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Another Pivot 429c fan here. Had been on a 2011 SJ fsr as above. The medium fits my 5' 11" body perfectly. Was able to demo the Santa Cruz Tallboy c and the Pivot. Santa Cruz= great bike. Pivot=my dream bike. My ignorance will not allow me to discuss the technical details of these bikes. The Pivot fit me better, allowed me to ride faster-up an down, and had me giggling like a 10 year old when I handed the LBS my money. A few have commented on the trail that the green is "cute". I just smile and ride off on my *****in green bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I demoed the Ripley a couple weeks back and what a fun bike. It has short chain-stays and is very poppy.

The Rip9 would be my other choice. Maybe the WFO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok. Looks like I've got a few contenders...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon dave View Post
    I demoed the Ripley a couple weeks back and what a fun bike. It has short chain-stays and is very poppy.

The Rip9 would be my other choice. Maybe the WFO.
    WFO is not a good choice for a long-travel XC bike (It has 160mm of travel and 29" wheels= overkill).
    Rip 9, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Trek Fuel EX 29 are some more great bikes to look at.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    WFO is not a good choice for a long-travel XC bike (It has 160mm of travel and 29" wheels= overkill).
    Rip 9, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Trek Fuel EX 29 are some more great bikes to look at.
    Thanks for the help cdale. You're 100% right about the WFO. WAY too much travel.
    I'm actually not looking for a XC bike either. I'm looking for a short travel 29 trail/AM bike. Slack, low and short CS. the travel on the Trek and RM fit the bill but I'm not sure they'd ride anything like the TransAM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I'm actually not looking for a XC bike. I'm looking for a short travel 29 trail/AM bike. Slack, low and short CS. the travel on the Trek and RM fit the bill but I'm not sure they'd ride anything like the TransAM.
    Short travel AM bike = long travel XC bike.
    You'd never know how the bikes ride until you do ride them, so still give them a shot.

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Whoops, didn't read the whole first post. I came here to say Bandit 29.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check this out !! Getting ready to build!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full suss version of my TransAm29-p1060585.jpg  

Full suss version of my TransAm29-p1060577.jpg  

Full suss version of my TransAm29-p1060590.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Check this out !! Getting ready to build!!
    That build looks nice.

Forth Eorlingas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast