Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I have a 6" travel 26" bike and both the Canfield YS and N9. I'd love an aggressive shorter travel 29er.

Just some random bikes that I'd like to check out...

Banshee Phantom
    Nicolai Helius TB
    Transition Bandit
    Devinci Atlas
    Ibis Ripley
    Lenz Behemoth Punkass
    Kona Process 111
    BMC Speedfox

I have never ridden any of these and some are a little out of the "shorter travel" realm.
    I have a YS too and an Atlas.

The Atlas is a fun bike indeed, but no way it can handle the DH like the YS can. Oh, I've a 150mm fork on the YS and an angle headset to slacken the Atlas.

I'm keeping the YS and selling the Atlas, I bet the Process or the Phantom would be good choices for a short travel AM 29er, but I'm waiting for the somehow announced Canfield's FS29er.

Short-Change-Hero
    This might also help answer some of your questions and add a few more bikes to the list...
    Preview Group Test: 7 short travel Trailbikes for adventures | Enduro Mountainbike Magazine
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Short travel AM bike = long travel XC bike.
    You'd never know how the bikes ride until you do ride them, so still give them a shot.

Itís easy to draw that conclusion since marketing depts pigeonhole bikes all the time based on suspension travel, but a long travel XC bike is definitely not the same as a short travel AM bike.

I owned a 1st gen RIP 9 (115mm rear travel), and now own a Canfield HT. Both are 29ers but the Canfield HT w/ zero rear travel is way more capable on technical trails than the Niner RIP 9 that had nearly 5Ē rear travel.

Call it semantics, but bitflogger, unrooted, lynx, oldhouseman, savo, and mnigro all get itóa short travel AM frame will have the geometry (slack HA, low BB, and short CS) as well as burliness that is designed to handle trails that an XC bike canít, regardless of how much travel the XC bike has.

I'm also anxious to see what the bros Canfield are busy cooking up, but until their FS 29er comes out, I agree that Kona's Process 111 and Banshee's Phantom are the closest short travel-FS versions of the OP's Trans Am 29.

MTB B'dos
    I also had a 1st gen RIP9 and it's the only thing I've owned that I've ont regretted selling, not one bit. Like you, I went from the rip9 to a Banshee Paradox and my confidence improved drastically because the geo was just loads better and more capable. I lent that bike to people and they've ridden stuff they'd never have considered on their "XC" bikes, straight up flat told me so and that they couldn't believe it. Loving my Phantom more and more with every ride and can't wait until I've finished the new trail with some jump/drop features as this thing just begs to be launched and thrown about.

Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    Itís easy to draw that conclusion since marketing depts pigeonhole bikes all the time based on suspension travel, but a long travel XC bike is definitely not the same as a short travel AM bike.

I owned a 1st gen RIP 9 (115mm rear travel), and now own a Canfield HT. Both are 29ers but the Canfield HT w/ zero rear travel is way more capable on technical trails than the Niner RIP 9 that had nearly 5Ē rear travel.

Call it semantics, but bitflogger, unrooted, lynx, oldhouseman, savo, and mnigro all get itóa short travel AM frame will have the geometry (slack HA, low BB, and short CS) as well as burliness that is designed to handle trails that an XC bike canít, regardless of how much travel the XC bike has.

I'm also anxious to see what the bros Canfield are busy cooking up, but until their FS 29er comes out, I agree that Kona's Process 111 and Banshee's Phantom are the closest short travel-FS versions of the OP's Trans Am 29.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2