Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Lots of recommendations on this thread that don't meet the OPs wants of:

1) $1500
    2) less than 30 pounds
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My sales manager had me ride a Camber around our test track so I could give customers better input on FS (I'm usually on a rigid, or HT). I don't know what it weighs, but it didn't "feel" heavy pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post

1) $1500
    2) less than 30 pounds
    Probably because it doesn't exist (new, at least).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How much does it weigh?
    29 lbs

Bob

mtbr member
    So the winner is the 2012 Anthem X4 29er if you can get it on clearance wherever Bob got it? I called a shop today and they said that the 2013 Camber's run about $1750, but they are a few pounds lighter than the 2012's but with significantly watered down components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got it here:
    goride - CLOSEOUTS

No more Anthem X4s though.

Bob

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    Meaning that you can expect more mechanical repairs buying a Motobecane - doesn't that negate any savings you would have buying this brand in the first place - you may end up actually spending more?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    He was referring to assembly and maintenance knowledge. The word repair implies something is broken.
    Yup

This holds true with ordering any bike online.
    Also better figure it in with buying a used bike too.

Buy a bike from a LBS and usually they will make adjustments for you for free after the purchase and some even have free life time tune ups.

1) $1500
    2) less than 30 pounds
    Well, I want world peace, a hot super model who will give in to my every sexual whim and never ***** or complain, and a billion dollars.

Guess what, I am not going to get any of that.

That being said, the motobecane is close to 30 lbs.
    Most people who are trying to get a light or super light bike have no idea why nor will they see any difference in their riding. It may make sense to lighten the drive line but worying about the total weight of the bike is pointless. Unless you are a super high end racer, you will never notice a difference. Strava does not record in tenths of a second.
    My current bike is a few pounds heavier than my last but all the components work much more smoothly and I could instantly ride further on it. Go figure.

Besides, obviously OP is price motivated. He may find a used bike in that range, but parts may be worn and costing more in repairs. Also, lighter parts often sacrifice durability to get the weight down which could also mean more in repair costs.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacoomber View Post
    Hello!
    I am new member of this forum.

Thanks,
    Congratulations

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Buying a $4000 new bike used for $1500 is pretty common if you take the time to get the word out that you are looking. Who knows, you could end up with something like this, size Large, 29 pounds, less than 1000 miles...
    Yea, some of the "first gen" 29ers have dropped under the $1500 mark. Ebay demand for the racer x, for example, seems to have waned.

The second gen bikes are approaching it. I've seen some AnthemX's sell for under $1500. The demand for Jet9's seems to be waning and sometimes touches the $1500 mark as well, though they seem to be more likely to get parted out than the Anthem for whatever reason.

For the record, I've bought both of these bikes used in the last year. I spent above 1500, but less than 2000 on each. I don't weigh my bikes though, so I couldn't comment on the 30# thing.

The increasing use of carbon should serve to drive down the cost of used bikes. Initially, making the aluminum ones cheaper, but later the carbon ones themselves, since a lot fewer people are interested in a used carbon bike. Long term though, I don't know what happens. Seems that carbon frames are largely just another method of ensuring planned obsolescence runs faster, and without being impacted as much by that nasty second hand market and resale value.

mtbr member
    I just weighed a XL Specialized Camber 29er - I was so excited because started price is $1775 (fairly affordable though not within my price range) but guess how much it weighed........33 pounds!!! Man, I doubt they're going to sell many of those.

mtbr member
    The 2013 Anthem X4 costs about $2,000. Maybe I should wait to buy it on closeout next October?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You either need to increase your budget or look used.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just weighed a XL Specialized Camber 29er - I was so excited because started price is $1775 (fairly affordable though not within my price range) but guess how much it weighed........33 pounds!!! Man, I doubt they're going to sell many of those.
    My Transition Bandit 29 with a dropper post was right around 32 IIRC... I don't find the weight to be a problem, but then again I came from a 36lb Pugsley.

I don't race, though. But in real life, I seem to keep up just fine with people on lighter bikes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The 2013 Anthem X4 costs about $2,000. Maybe I should wait to buy it on closeout next October?
    Maybe you should have bought the one you looked at in June.

Or maybe you should just start a blog for all this stuff. There's no need to continue to inflict your window-shopping on everyone here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You're better off going second hand, or a new hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Buying a $4000 new bike used for $1500 is pretty common if you take the time to get the word out that you are looking. Who knows, you could end up with something like this, size Large, 29 pounds, less than 1000 miles...Attachment 740675
    if it's a 26er maybe, 27.5 and 29ers aren't selling anywhere near that cheap in my area or on ebay unless they are really rough

as for a good FS bike under 1500. i actually pulled it off a couple months ago. 2013 superfly 100 al on closeout. LBS had one 19" left which happened to fit me. 29lb bike which i now have down to 28lbs. what did i pay? $1400 got it barely above cost.

that model was discontinued into 2014 as they now only have the lower spec fs6 or the slightly better fs8 or elite. the one i got has a reba, x7 components and apparently was an incredible deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    that model was discontinued into 2014 as they now only have the lower spec fs6 or the slightly better fs8 or elite. the one i got has a reba, x7 components and apparently was an incredible deal
    Did you notice that all the previous posts are from Dec 2012 or earlier? Good job resurrecting a 2 yr old thread...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    Did you notice that all the previous posts are from Dec 2012 or earlier? Good job resurrecting a 2 yr old thread...
    was oddly on the front page when i posted

got me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2