mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Full squish 29er

I know I might get some bias answers (posting in the 29er section) but for my next bike I'm looking at either an Anthem or Fuel Ex. I'm trying to figure out if a full susp. 29er is excessive for the type of riding I do, desert trail riding. And I'm fairly young, so comfort doesn't matter all that much to me yet. Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated. I know (through search) people have said that a better match would be the fuel and a trance, but I think the Trance would just be too much bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I rode the Trance a few times and even if I am around your age probably it was not "too much". I really liked it. Anyway, I am just stating my experience. I will let someone else with more knowledge than me to answer your questions..

Andrew
    Well, the Fuel is only available in 26", so if you have your heart set on one, I guess that makes your decision easy. Otherwise, check out a Trek Rumblefish. You can demo one at most Trek Dealerships for the day to see how you like a 29.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sounds like I need to demo, demo, demo. There's a trek dealer and a giant dealer pretty close to where I live, so as long as they let me try the bike out on a trail I should have my answer. Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Full squish 29er

Also check out the trek superfly 100. That would be the 29'er equivalent to the anthem and would keep the same suspension design and the abp that the Fuel has.

Good luck in your search.

I've ridden many different 29's (never the anthem or the superfly 100) but I've been looking at getting an Xc type FS 29'er. I settled on the Tallboy for myself. Took it out for its maiden voyage today. It's pretty awesome!!