mtbr member
    Apr 2009

fuji tahoe 29 pro or GF Cobia?

I started mountain biking in December and cannot get enough of it. Lately some buddies and i have been driving across the state of virginia in search of trails. After riding my fuji nevada 4.0 for sometime i realized this is definitely not the bike for what i want to be doing. This is what i have to offer:
    - I am looking about spending around $1000 to $1200
    - hardtail
    -29er

...After talking to multiple people on the trails i keep getting lost because everyone contradicts each other on bike preference, "Hey man you need this or dude you cannot bike without that." So through my own research and help with my LBS ive narrowed it down to these two bikes. The problem is i know that Gary Fisher is higher regarded than fuji in the mountain bike genre, but the Cobia does not come with hydraulic breaks and i know that is a key feature in mountain biking. The cobia definitely has a better fork though. Any input is highly regarded. Also I am 6'0 and weigh 160 is that too small for a 29er?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    you're a great size for a 29er...

neither is a bad ride... fuji edges out on the parts spec slightly, i'd say the cobia edges out on the frame...

ride both and see which you like... can't go wrong with either IMHO

and hydro discs are NOT that big of a deal IMHO... the bb5's are good stoppers if properly setup
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It is ALOT easier to find good, used juicy's--than it is to find a good, used fork...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

BB5's and BB7's are great brakes

I know a lot of people that would take these brakes over hydro's. Go for the Fisher, if you have problems, they will take care of you + you have a 5 year warranty on the Bontrager wheels. Yes...you are buying from the big guys, but that's part of the comfort in knowing that they will take care of you!.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice!! thanks! i test rode the fuji but it was for only a short period in a parking lot so i really didnt get to see what it offered. The good thing about the gary fisher is that all the LBS's around here have their parts in abundance.
    ...I would also like to add that I definitely like to charge the terrain parks around here and I wanted to know if 29ers are easy to get into the air? Obviously they are not as light as 26s but i still want to make sure they won't hender me much. Thanks for the help guys

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the 2 forks are as follows

fisher = RockShox Tora Race Solo Air 29"

fuji = Rock Shox Tora 318 Air 29"

in reality whats the real difference? dual air and the poploc are about it (race has em 318 don't)...

IMHO neither the stoppers or the squishy bits are deal breakers on either end
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    bflemft817,

I get my 29er in the air without a problem. When I first started on the 29er, it seemed a little more difficult, but after a couple rides, I got used to it. I'm thinking about building a stronger 29er setup for some rougher AM / light freeride duty.

I'm partial to the Fuji geometry, as it fits me well. However, GF makes great bikes. I'd almost say pick a color and go!

R