mtbr member
    Apr 2009

fuel ex 8 vs RIP

Thinking about a new bike and like both but not sure which one to get. I ride trails in the PNW. Looking for 2x10 XT / XO and don't want to spend more than $4500. Thanks for any input

Old N SLow

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: fuel ex 8 vs RIP

I built up a RIP9 with full XT last winter for $3500. If you've got time to shop around for deals, you could have a great bike for that budget.

BTW, the RIP is an awesome ride.

Sent from my S3 on the way to the trailhead.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Rip9 is a very good all round bike & pedals very very well.

I have a friend that had a trance X29 for about 6 month & has just got a Rip9 & his ridding has just really taken off, He has only had the Rip9 for 4 weeks now but in that time his ridding has just lifted so much.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If you build up a bike like the Niner RIP, then you can get everything you want for it, not only some things you will like, on bikes like the Fuel EX.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If you build up a bike like the Niner RIP, then you can get everything you want for it, not only some things you will like, on bikes like the Fuel EX.
    Agreed. Picking your own build is nice. You do pay a bit more. However, you spend the money and get what you want. No settling for combinations of components tossed together to meet a price point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Agreed. Picking your own build is nice. You do pay a bit more. However, you spend the money and get what you want. No settling for combinations of components tossed together to meet a price point.

Thanks for all the info. I am leaning hard towards the RIP

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I disagree. If you have patience, there's some really good deals, especially in the off season. I built my RIP9 for nearly $1k less than the LBS priced a sumilar build.

mtbr member

fuel ex 8 vs RIP

I don't have any time on the Fuel, but the RIP is a great bike, especially the updated version. I built up mine with X0 minus front shifting bits in favor of a Wolf Tooth 1x10, I9 Torch Trail, Fox 34, and a Reverb for your budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member

If you find a great deal on the RIP, be sure you know whether you are getting the new version that just came out this year or the previous generation. There are enough changes to the new version that I would consider it worth full price vs on the old one on sale, but you will have to decide that yourself. You just need to make sure you know what you are actually getting!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Carbon & Ti rule
    This +1

Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    If you find a great deal on the RIP, be sure you know whether you are getting the new version that just came out this year or the previous generation. There are enough changes to the new version that I would consider it worth full price vs on the old one on sale, but you will have to decide that yourself. You just need to make sure you know what you are actually getting!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I picked up the combo deal Jenson is running with a Revelation RCT3 back in Oct. Still in stock for $1650. That fork has the super tunable dual air which Rockshox (stupidly) dropped for 2013. The new Revs have dumbed down solo air. The old gen frame also comes with the Fox RP23 which I like so much better than any of the CTD crap they've been pushing. You'll save a bunch of money vs buying the new frame and get better suspension parts.

I also own a Trek Remedy in 26er and I can attest that Trek's ABP and DCRV shock work exactly as advertised; much more plush and zero brake jack compared to Niner's CVA. CVA pedals way better but is firmer ride. You'll need to decide what traits you're looking for in a bike and choose accordingly.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You GOTTA ride both, man. I love the RIP's pedaling efficiency - but the Fuel EX has that plush, bottomless, "cloud nine" type ride. See what attributes you value the most...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks, Like I said I am not sure but leaning one way or another. I like both. I have access the Trek not so much with Niner in Washington state unless I drive 30-45 miles and riding a bike around in the parking lot really doesn't give you a good impression on how it will work on a trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I really enjoyed building mt tracer 29 so if I had a choice I would get the rip frame and build it the way you want. Niner frames aren't a ton of Money unless you go carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

The new frame is that much nicer? Wow! I've got the 2011 model and love it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yep the 1 you have is a very nice bike, But the new 1 is quite a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdl View Post
    The new frame is that much nicer? Wow! I've got the 2011 model and love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

plus it looks so much better.

mtbr member

fuel ex 8 vs RIP

False. My '12 looks way cooler than my '13.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29