Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which FS XC 29'er for me? ...not the heaviest one.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rangeishot 
#1 ·
Right now I have an 08 Brodie Mettle FS 26 and it's good. I am curious about 29'er so I am looking at different options. I'd prefer a FS 29'er as I have a low back issue and I'd rather have some cushion from the worst bumps (probably use lockout/platform).

I am in Canada, and I am wondering what I could be looking at for a 29'er FS mtb. Two of my wants oppose one another. Light weight and low (lower?) price, so, I have to find out what the limits are. I am 5 foot 9 and 1/2" inches and about 175 LBS (I'm heavier now, but my mean weight is 175). I'd rather stay away from the ultra-expensive stuff. Something south of $3500, or closer to $2000 or less would be nice, but again, weight is an issue, so I have to see how much it costs to get a given weight of 29'er FS bike, consider cost all the other details and decide what is potentially right for me. If it's too expensive and not much lighter than my 26" FS then I'll look towards a 29'er hardtail with suspension seatpost.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

:)

#3 ·
Cheap, light, or strong. Pick two.

There are quite a few options for sub-30lbs race FS bikes (26-29lbs) in the $2500-3000 range. Look at all the big name sites for the models that fit your spec and budget. From Specilalized you can have the lower end Epic Comp or the middle range Camber 29. The Epic will be slightly lighter and the Camber will be closer to the 30lb range.

#6 ·
Take a look at Scott and giant if you want good bang for your buck. AnthemX 0 29er MSRP is $3800, means you should prob be able to get it around your upper $3500 limit. Love the Maestro suspension, works really well and the "0" should be close to 26lbs if I remember right from when they first came out and people were posting weights.

#7 ·
I have a 2011 giant anthem x1. Got it for 2800 last September. It weighed in at 26.3 without pedals in the store. Probably 25's now bc of some upgrades. Awesome ride. Best money ever spent. This bike allows me to fly on xc trails. I was pushing 29-30lb bikes around before and it feels feather light riding this. Go tubeless too. Makes a very noticeable difference that you will appreciate.

#8 ·
Get 2012 KHS Prescott/Flagstaff frame or 2012 Titus Rockstar frame, ~$500 Stan's wheelset, $500 2012 Reba (with coupon, can be found), seatpost and stem as needed, move other parts from your old bike and sell old frame/fork/wheels/tires. New bike for $2K.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.