Paste eater

FS 29er for shorties?

What are the options for complete bikes? I'd like to stay under 3K. 5'5, female we live in Moab so nothing spindly but she's not a hucker either...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    What are the options for complete bikes? I'd like to stay under 3K. 5'5, female we live in Moab so nothing spindly but she's not a hucker either...
    Salsa Big Mama would fit no problem (I'm 5'6" and love mine) and have less than 3k in it with XT kit.

A couple of the Niners have great standover don't know $$$ on these

Salsa Spearfish....save some money on one of these.

Intense Spider 29er....built up SLX might be about 3k

Hope that helps.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Former Bike Wrench
    -Trek HiFi Deluxe Small has a 28" standover, $2600

WNC Native
    My wife is the same height and on a small Voodoo Canzo. Standover is close, but she loves the bike and it can be built nicely for under $3K. I'll second the Trek/Fisher HiFi bikes too, my mom is 5'2" and rides one. Also the Salsa Spearfish would be another one to check out.

Small Jet9 has a 27.3-27.6 standover too depending on which fork is used. If your good at deal shopping you could easily build it under $3k. Or look at the banner at the top of the page.

Lots of options.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    -Trek HiFi Deluxe Small has a 28" standover, $2600
    IIRC for 2012 its called the AL Elite and comes with an XT kit and it's 2600 msrp, that's a pretty strong deal right there.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Paste eater
    It's the ETT that seems to be the problem. the niners have a 23.1 on the smalls. That's LONG! I'm 5'9 and ride a 23in TT on my Rune. Here other bikes are 22 - 22.5 ETT... Spearfish looks interesting but I'm wondering if that's gonna be enough travel for moab.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Find a used 09 turner sultan... Best full suspension 29er for short folk..

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm mostly posting this because for some reason in MTBR I cannot start a new thread without five posts (flawed logic), but my question is somewhat relevant here...

I am about to (I think) swap out a perfectly good 26" bike (SJ Carbon Pro) for a 29er (Tallboy) because I am graduating into the "older and fatter" club, and the 29ers I have ridden are just so easy and mellow to ride; particularly when the option is "avoid or roll over". My question to those more knowledgeable than myself is: At 5' 7" is a 29er going to limit me more than I think? I ride 3-5 times a week on intermediate technical trails, about 60% single track.

When I bought my current bike, the conventional wisdom was that those under about 5'10" were not suited to a 29er. Since then I've ridden Gary Fisher and Specialized 29ers and loved every minute.

Other issue/axe to grind:

I have NOT had a chance to try a Medium Tallboy, and that would be the size for me (they don't make a "small" as pointed out in this thread...). Bike shops are not carrying the bikes. I know it's expensive to stock a high-end bike, but then don't complain when riders order from Cambria, Comp Cyc, etc. when your shop doesn't have one to demo...

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyfogarty View Post
    I'm mostly posting this because for some reason in MTBR I cannot start a new thread without five posts (flawed logic), but my question is somewhat relevant here...

I am about to (I think) swap out a perfectly good 26" bike (SJ Carbon Pro) for a 29er (Tallboy) because I am graduating into the "older and fatter" club, and the 29ers I have ridden are just so easy and mellow to ride; particularly when the option is "avoid or roll over". My question to those more knowledgeable than myself is: At 5' 7" is a 29er going to limit me more than I think? I ride 3-5 times a week on intermediate technical trails, about 60% single track.

When I bought my current bike, the conventional wisdom was that those under about 5'10" were not suited to a 29er. Since then I've ridden Gary Fisher and Specialized 29ers and loved every minute.

Other issue/axe to grind:

I have NOT had a chance to try a Medium Tallboy, and that would be the size for me (they don't make a "small" as pointed out in this thread...). Bike shops are not carrying the bikes. I know it's expensive to stock a high-end bike, but then don't complain when riders order from Cambria, Comp Cyc, etc. when your shop doesn't have one to demo...

Stop right there. I will not let this thread turn into ANOTHER 26/29 thread. Just search, you will find more information on that debate then you will ever care to read. Try it yourself - Then choose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cool. I'm searchin'. I really want the opinions of other 5'6-5'10" riders before I pull the trigger... I'll find it. Thanks for the help...

Paste eater
    Cool. I'm searchin'. I really want the opinions of other 5'6-5'10" riders before I pull the trigger... I'll find it. Thanks for the help...
    It's really not a question of size of rider as it is the riders preference. There are plenty of great options for your size.

human dehumidifier
    Well ... the first thing I noticed is you're a short dude but you're looking at a bike named Tallboy ... but here's my 2 cents, spend it wisely.

I'm short too, at about 5'8" here on a SMALL Salsa Big Mama. If I was you, I'd quit looking at size medium FS 29ers. A 29er is naturally a big-ass bike. Put 4" front and rear and it's a helluva big bike. So be honest with yourself and buy the bike that fits you, and don't settle for a Medium just because that's all SC offers. You gotta live with what you buy, and if it doesn't fit, you won't ride it, and if you don't ride it, you've got nobody to be pissed at but yourself.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All considered, but if you look at the specs on a medium tall boy it's actually SMALLER in some dimensions than my Sj. I think I just need to figure out how to demo one. That's the hard part...

Thanks though, for the advice.

Paste eater
    Just look at the ETT and compare it to what you like. The Tallboy is a "small medium" but a medium no less.

But back on topic. The more we look around, the more the trek line really makes sense. It's the shortest TT of the bunch and here in Moab, there should be no shortage of demo opportunities. Think we are going to demo the Hifi and even the rumblefish. Anyone have any real world data on weight difference.

They actually same rear travel with the RF having a 120mm TA fork and slightly different geo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I agree with the above. But Bob 5' 8" calling himself short makes me laugh...I'm 5' 4"!!! LOL! Trek has a short top tube for their smalls. Niner, for example, have small sizes, but with 23" top tubes they really are mediums. I believe Specialized also have smalls with reasonable short top tubes.

XC Baker
    Sep 2011
    Giant Anthem. Small is right in there...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    2x on the Anthem orignally thought it might not work for me because of standover and wanting a longer ETT at 5'7 with short legs but after demoing I bought a 1 immediately ended up on a medium and standover not been an issue.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

MTB B'dos
    Then why the hell are you looking at the SC Tallboy when you already have ridden those other brand bikes and liked them, why not buy one of them? That's all I got to ask
    .............................yada, yada, yada............ My question to those more knowledgeable than myself is: At 5' 7" is a 29er going to limit me more than I think? I ride 3-5 times a week on intermediate technical trails, about 60% single track.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just because I am a fan of Santa Cruz. I like the company, like the design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    AND, I figure if I am gonna spend over $2k on a MTB I probably ought to cover all the bases.