mtbr member
    Oct 2009

FS 29er in $2-3K price range

I'm looking for suggestions for full suspension 29ers in the $2000 to $3000 range. I live in WI so rocks and roots prevail. I do occasional XC races and/or endurance races on the weekends, but it mostly has to be my 'everyday' mountain bike. I'm 50 years old and looking for a bike that's not gonna make me feel like I got run over by a John Deere after a ride.

Thanks in advance.

Vincit qui patitur
    I like my Salsa Spearfish. Not a whole lot of pedal bob.
    Check shops in your area and test ride as many bikes as you can.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Take a look at the Specialized Camber Comp, or the Giant anthem, heard great things about both of them.

Your Best Friend
    Find a 2012 Giant Anthem X29er 1 (retail was $2900). You should be able to find a good deal on one. Even the 2013 retails for about $2850. Great bikes with excellent endurance geometry and great suspension design. They also have a lifetime warranty and a solid dealer network to help if any issues arise.

FKA Malibu412
    The new Airborne Hobgoblin lists for just under $1800. 100mm of front and rear travel, a Reba fork, a VP-looking rear link suspension, X7 drivetrain. Solid components for the price. Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin

Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I like my Salsa Spearfish. Not a whole lot of pedal bob.
    Check shops in your area and test ride as many bikes as you can.
    This.

I LOVE my fish. My wife also have a Superlight 29 that is pretty awesome too. Can't beat them in the FS 29er market for under $3,000 IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not sure where in WI. you are but Mike at the LaGrange General Store usually has some great deals on his used rentals. His shop (backyardbikes) rents mostly 29ers to people for riding at John Muir and Emma Carlin. Check them out, you might find something you like.

Product Catalog - Backyard Bikes and Ski Shop

Ps. I have no affiliation with this store but I have purchased bikes from him in the past and was very happy with the transaction.

Your Best Friend
    Oops. Bad post.

mtbr member
    I am 45 and have been riding my Giant trance X 29er everywhere the past 6 months, Tahow, Auburn and Annoedale,. All rock and root infested area with some serious climbing. Does not beat me up and is a ton of fun to ride. I got mine for about 2600 out the door. Here is a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS 29er in -3K price range-img_0431%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    The new Airborne Hobgoblin lists for just under $1800. 100mm of front and rear travel, a Reba fork, a VP-looking rear link suspension, X7 drivetrain. Solid components for the price. Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin

Airborne also has an XO build for $2999.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Love my 2011 Anthem X2 29er....

I've had a few FS 29ers (Voodoo, Tallboy, Rip9), and I have to say this is my favorite so far...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I can vouch for airborne. I don't have one of the full suspension models but I have a guardian but it's a solid bike at a great cost.

bikerpilot
    Check out Competitive Cyclist for closeout deals on the 2012 BMC SF29 XO. Very fast, comfy bike that is right in your price range and probably spec'ed better than anything else of a comparable price. It's a perfect "everyday" bike, rips singletrack and is fast enough for XC racing and comfy enough for all day riding.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Andrew
    Trek Rumblefishhhh.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I am 45 and have been riding my Giant trance X 29er everywhere the past 6 months, Tahow, Auburn and Annoedale,. All rock and root infested area with some serious climbing. Does not beat me up and is a ton of fun to ride. I got mine for about 2600 out the door. Here is a pic.
    ^^^^ Second this wholeheartedly! ^^^^
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    What size frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Salsa Horsethief with Fox 34 on sale for $2059. Really wish I had not seen this.

Universal Cycles -- Salsa Horsethief Complete Bike - 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    C-Dale Scalpel 29er 3 Alloy. Retail is $3,550.00, but I just got one for less than 3k
    Second on the Giant Anthemm awesome bike for the $$$
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    I love my Horsethief and, as an earlier poster mentioned, the deal from Universal Cycles is really terrific. It might be more bike than the OP needs, though, especially for racing, although he might want something a little more plush than a Spearfish.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe