mtbr member
    May 2009

Front Suspension Forks for Hub Motor

Hi Guys, looking for advice regarding tough front suspension forks to take a hub motor. Most say that they should be steel forks, does anyone do 29er suspension forks all steel? Can aluminium forks be strengthened around the axle? or recommend a beefy fork.

Would I have more options with mountain bike forks for 26" wheel?

ps will a 26" front wheel with disc replace a 700 with disc (same size), ie same hub widths etc. Wanted a spare and hoped a 26 would be the same dimensions. Thanks again

Is there a good aluminium welder in the UK to strengthen Aluminium forks?????????
    Last edited by a1rports; 05-22-2009 at 02:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The hub widths are the same. The 26er wheel would fit right in. As long as the brake rotors are the same size you will have no trouble with the brakes.
    The only trouble I see is that the 26er wheel would drop the front end down approximately three inches. It might feel goofy but it would probably be OK in a pinch.
    What "they" probably mean is that the fork legs should be steel.
    I know that the Rock Shock Dart and Tora have steel legs.
    The most popular 29er fork, the RS Reba, has aluminum legs.
    The Tora is a beefy fork and it is a great fork as well.
    You would definitely have a better selection with 26" wheels and could probably find more deals.
    But, a 29er rides so much better.

ballbuster

Quick release style hubs are all the same...

Quote Originally Posted by a1rports
    Hi Guys, looking for advice regarding tough front suspension forks to take a hub motor. Most say that they should be steel forks, does anyone do 29er suspension forks all steel? Can aluminium forks be strengthened around the axle? or recommend a beefy fork.

ps will a 26" front wheel with disc replace a 700 with disc (same size), ie same hub widths etc. Wanted a spare and hoped a 26 would be the same dimensions. Thanks again
    ... except for a few special cases, like a Maverick fork, or thru-axle kinda wheels.

If the fork can take being pounded off a drop with a 240 pound rider all day long, I'm sure it can take the torque of a hub motor. I'm not sure why any fork would have an issue, really... maybe except for the lightest of track bike (with no brake) or roadie carbon forks. I mean, slamming on your front brakes probably can apply 10 times the torque of any motor.

but, if you are wondering, there are 29er rigid forks out there. I have my Redline Monocog 29er fork sitting on my wall, for instance. I think Salsa sells their separately as well as Niner, Surly, Tange and Voodoo.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info guys, it seems the aluminium dropouts can be cracked by the torque from flat sided axle, I think steel is more forgiving. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dropouts on suspension forks are magnesium not aluminum

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Dropouts on suspension forks are magnesium not aluminum
    Not all forks......
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

local trails rider

ps will a 26" front wheel with disc replace a 700 with disc (same size), ie same hub widths etc.
    There's definitely more fork options for 26" wheels.

What diameter is your axle?

Generally, hubs for quick release front wheels are the same width. 20mm through axle hubs and forks are wider.

Installing a 26" wheel in place of a 700 would not lower your front 3 inches but it would lower it a little. Depends on tyres.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
    The hub widths are the same. The 26er wheel would fit right in. As long as the brake rotors are the same size you will have no trouble with the brakes.
    The only trouble I see is that the 26er wheel would drop the front end down approximately three inches. It might feel goofy but it would probably be OK in a pinch.
    What "they" probably mean is that the fork legs should be steel.
    I know that the Rock Shock Dart and Tora have steel legs.
    The most popular 29er fork, the RS Reba, has aluminum legs.
    The Tora is a beefy fork and it is a great fork as well.
    You would definitely have a better selection with 26" wheels and could probably find more deals.
    But, a 29er rides so much better.

As mentioned above - Tora forks seem to be magnesium. Is that better or worse than aluminium/steel. Newbie, so still looking for a strong suspension 29er fork for ezee hub motor. Should I forget a suspension front folk (shame) and keep it simple with a 29er steel fork (if so, which?) Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I believe the ezee hub motor is a 10mm axle - not sure of the flat axle sides dimensions, that stop it rotating from torque in forks. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What 29er forks would a pro use for a Ezee front hub motor. Road and a bit of off road trail use (no big jumps). Looking for "fit and forget" forks without checking nuts every week. Reliability over performance. Thanks guys for any help/experience! I really would like a suspension front fork, however a fixed fork if strong/reliable a possibility.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Not all forks......

Do you know which are steel? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Not all forks......
    All the suspension forks from RockShox, Fox, Manitou and Marzocchi use magnesium at least. I couldn't find anything on White Brothers, so maybe they are using something different

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As mentioned above - Tora forks seem to be magnesium. Is that better or worse than aluminium/steel. Newbie, so still looking for a strong suspension 29er fork for ezee hub motor. Should I forget a suspension front folk (shame) and keep it simple with a 29er steel fork (if so, which?) Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
    I don't think you need a suspension fork at all.
    Run some 2.35 Big Apples. It's all the suspension that you need.
    I have tortured and abused a Tora over 15,000 miles. It is well up to the task.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    ...without checking nuts every week.
    too easy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    too easy.

Thanks for reply, but meaning?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A brake does not apply 10 times the force of a hub motor. First of all the brake force is not at the axle, it is at the brake mounts and it does not apply a twisting action.
    How do I know? Well I played around with hub motors for a while. I would only use a heavy duty solid steel fork since I saw one suspension fork failure and heard of several others. You just need to understand where the forces are to make an informed decision.
    Hub motors are kinda fun but since most of them don't have speeds they can overheat on long uphills. Also battery technology pretty much sucks which is one of the reasons I gave up on them. I had much more fun and more range with a strap on gas motor. But now I find biking much more fun without any assist.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    A brake does not apply 10 times the force of a hub motor. First of all the brake force is not at the axle, it is at the brake mounts and it does not apply a twisting action.
    How do I know? Well I played around with hub motors for a while. I would only use a heavy duty solid steel fork since I saw one suspension fork failure and heard of several others. You just need to understand where the forces are to make an informed decision.
    Hub motors are kinda fun but since most of them don't have speeds they can overheat on long uphills. Also battery technology pretty much sucks which is one of the reasons I gave up on them. I had much more fun and more range with a strap on gas motor. But now I find biking much more fun without any assist.
    Hi Richwolf and thanks for the reply. I think you may be right regarding fixed steel fork over suspension. I am currently looking ar the Ezee 400 watt geared front hub motor (with.disc).
    Looking for reliability over comfort/looks. Suggest any fixed steel forks?
    Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by a1rports; 05-26-2009 at 08:28 PM.