mtbr member
    May 2005

Freeride 29er - White Brothers Groove 180?

Seems like the Groove might be the answer for building a freeride 29er from a Lenz PBJ or Niner WFO. (The Manitou Dorado is just way too expensive). I used to have a WB BW 0.8 and unfortunately it just didn't compare to my current Fox fork.

So, anyone have any opinions on the Groove?

Underskilled
    Someone has done this already, can't remember who though.

I have a long chat about this with the guy, likes it a lot, an awful lot.

White Brothers will also help you out on this, they are great.

post pics when it is done.

(I found a deal on an 04 Dorado so went with that).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Someone has done this already, can't remember who though.

I have a long chat about this with the guy, likes it a lot, an awful lot.

White Brothers will also help you out on this, they are great.

post pics when it is done.

(I found a deal on an 04 Dorado so went with that).

Erling

Thor...
    Give WB a ring......Eric services them ( and is a very capable DH rider).....If you need perhaps a different angle....Call`em back...ask for Ryan..... ( ex pro Yeti dh rider...) He has extensive knowledge about the groove 180 on the pbj..... They are both great guy`s....

This place needs an enema
    I was lucky enough to demo both forks extensively on my PBJ.

Very very difficult to tell them apart when riding. Equally tuneable, equally stiff, equally bottomless. Just awesome forks.

The biggest difference I've found between them is teeny: The thru-axle on the Dorado is marginally easier to install/remove. Truth be told they're both still stuck in the 90's with tools-required-for-removal designs, and *both* of them require two different sized wrenches. Silly.

But on the trail they're both stunning. Ultimately I chose to buy the WB.

The biggest factor in my decision was the fact that I live ~1 mile from WB. There's a lot to be said for being able to drop a fork off for service in the AM and pick it up in the PM if need be. YMMV.

MC

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    I was lucky enough to demo both forks extensively on my PBJ.

Very very difficult to tell them apart when riding. Equally tuneable, equally stiff, equally bottomless. Just awesome forks.

The biggest difference I've found between them is teeny: The thru-axle on the Dorado is marginally easier to install/remove. Truth be told they're both still stuck in the 90's with tools-required-for-removal designs, and *both* of them require two different sized wrenches. Silly.

But on the trail they're both stunning. Ultimately I chose to buy the WB.

The biggest factor in my decision was the fact that I live ~1 mile from WB. There's a lot to be said for being able to drop a fork off for service in the AM and pick it up in the PM if need be. YMMV.

MC

Did the fact that MT asked for their fork back have anything to do with your decision????....Just curious...

Erling

mtbr member
    I have a dorado for my future PBJ. I would say it will be here in a month.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrabaek
    Did the fact that MT asked for their fork back have anything to do with your decision????....Just curious...
    Erling
    The Dorado was a loaner from the start--there was never any illusion that it was mine to keep. I was just really lucky that I got to keep it for as long as I did, and get time on it in so many different areas/situations, from Moab to BC and most places in between.

That said, I couldn't find anything wrong with the Dorado--it was light, stiff, and VERY tuneable. If I hadn't had to send it back I never would have tried the WB, thus I never would have known that it rode pretty much identically to the Dorado.

I didn't/haven't weighed them back to back, but I'd guess the WB is ~a pound heavier. I've done a few chunky epics on the bike with each fork, and the total package is heavy enough that I can't say +/- a pound of fork is noticeable.

MC

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    The Dorado was a loaner from the start--there was never any illusion that it was mine to keep. I was just really lucky that I got to keep it for as long as I did, and get time on it in so many different areas/situations, from Moab to BC and most places in between.

That said, I couldn't find anything wrong with the Dorado--it was light, stiff, and VERY tuneable. If I hadn't had to send it back I never would have tried the WB, thus I never would have known that it rode pretty much identically to the Dorado.

I didn't/haven't weighed them back to back, but I'd guess the WB is ~a pound heavier. I've done a few chunky epics on the bike with each fork, and the total package is heavy enough that I can't say +/- a pound of fork is noticeable.

MC
    Thanks Mike...... I was just curious, and hope that you did not mistake the question. I`t hard to say no to having the support in your backyard. Sat in George Euler`s office a few months back, and saw a few pic`s of you when you guys went riding down Ouray.

Erling

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrabaek

Erling

Thor...
    Give WB a ring......Eric services them ( and is a very capable DH rider).....If you need perhaps a different angle....Call`em back...ask for Ryan..... ( ex pro Yeti dh rider...) He has extensive knowledge about the groove 180 on the pbj..... They are both great guy`s....
    Hi Erling didn't know you had one too.
    Some guy who lives near me has one too.

P x
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Hi Erling didn't know you had one too.
    Some guy who lives near me has one too.

P x
    ....Actually.... I almost did.....I was debating the same.....and went with the Dorado. But....in the trouble I had with the fluid 135 braking .....I visited them 3 times, and talked with both Eric, and Ryan.......

Erling