mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fox 32 F29 FIT RLC fork?

I don't know much about Fox forks. How does this compare to RockShox forks? Primarily thinking about the Reba.

Thanks.

I <3 29ers
    Lots and lots and lots of posts covering this. In a nutshell, imho, it's personal preference. I've got a Reba and Fox sitting here. Both are good forks, have plenty of adjustments, feel solid (stiff), but I prefer the damping of the Reba over the Fox. I've had a few Fox forks over the years and never liked the damping in any of them. *shrug* I have always found Fox forks over-damped, especially on the compression side, unless they were tuned by PUSH ..... but then they feel damped similar to my Reba.

Imho, save a few bucks and grab a Reba. Spend the extra dough on something else. Anything else. Beer, kleenex, crack whore - whatever turns your crank.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Mudder
    The fox is heavier but stiffer. The rockshox is smoother and lighter. I have the reba xx and love it, so smooth

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

for lighter riders, the Fox air forks need mods to get full travel and a nice compliant ride.
    go with the Rock Shox IMO

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride the Fox, sold the Reba as soon as I brought the bike home. In fact I'm on my second bike with a Fox Fit RLC, I find the ride is excellent and very tunable.

Go with the Fox IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Go with the Fox. Stiffer than the Reba and there's simply no excuse for excessive flex in a suspension fork. Stiff = control

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebenke
    sold the Reba as soon as I brought the bike home....
    Why?

I own both and like both for different reasons. I do prefer the Rockshox, as I was able to get that to ride well out of the box - I had to open up the Fox and work on it, for it to provide a decent ride. My Fox was also way low on oil, out of the box. The RS is also less complicated to work on. Just because it says Fox, doesn't mean it is better - they are very comparable, quality forks.
    Last edited by ncfisherman; 12-10-2010 at 05:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    OK. Thanks.

I asked, because I'm looking at a bike that has the Fox on it. I see there are some different opinions on which one people prefer, but it seems like both have their advantages. I know that there are multiple models of Rockshoxs. Are there for Fox? Is a good model from Fox?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Fox has the option of a 15mm thru axle (not certain if Rockshox does). Truly makes a world of difference with regards to control.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a reba team with the 20 mm maxle on my HT and yes it is torsional stiff, but there is a fair amount of front-back flex. I really like the compression dampening on the reba, it is as smooth as butter but with good control.

From what I understand the the Fox has some new compression dampening changes for 2011 and with the addition of the new coating on the fork it is very compliant in smaller bumps, but with good big hit compression. My concern with Fox is that I hear people complain that they are not getting full travel with their forks. I have a Anthem X 29 on order so I will find out soon enough.

mtbr member
    I'm 185lbs, not sure if I qualify as a big rider, anyway...I felt like the F29 was not giving me full travel at first, then I basically turned all the compression settings off and set the pressure to the recommended setting for my weight. Wow, what a difference. For my ridding, the 120 works well, rarely use the lockout when off the pavement. Just open it up, turn all the fancy settings off, and let it rip.

Feels stiff front/back and side to side with the 15mm, could also be the Chub/Arch combo too. Very little movement of the fork even at full braking. (found out just how stiff it was as I pogo-ed OTB in hidden rut the other day).

I've been hitting a nice smooth natural transition on my way back and fourth from my normal ride, it's about a 4' ramp/hump with a moderate launch at speed to a flat landing. If I get it just right on the landing it feels super smooth, even from a 4'+ drop to flat. The fork is pretty close to max but still has about 10-15mm left before bottom out. We shall see how long my $150 unbranded frame holds up to the abuse, but I've got complete confidence in the 2011 F29. Feels great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the same fork (Fox 32 F29 FIT RLC fork). It works VERY well. If it's already on a bike you're looking to purchase, I'd consider that a bonus.

It's the highest end Fox XC fork. RLC = Rebound, Lockout, and Compression adjustment. FIT is the damping system used (it's SMOOTH). A huge upgrade over previous generation fox and ROck Shox forks. The new Reba is super SMOOTH as well. You can't lose with either fork, but that Fox is way nice and won't be found stock on any bikes under $3,000.