mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Fork/Headset Options for new custom Ti 29'er

Hi,
    I am considering the purchase of a custom ti 29'er.
    I have been looking at the New Fox forks for 29'ers.
    I am convinced that I want the F29 (not the terralogic)- and I want the 100mm travel.
    Why would I want the 80mm? Could the front end be made just as low for the 100mm (given that it was a custom bike).
    Also not sure about regular QR vs. through axle?
    Would I appreciate the added stiffness from the through axle? Or just extra weight?
    Bike will be for XC use, much fireroad, a little singletrack. Mostly I like to climb and come back down.
    Then there is headtube size- Should I go with 1.5 bottom/ 11/8 top? Or just stick with the 11/8 top and bottom- the 1.5 bottom is only an option with through axle fork.
    Then on to the headset.
    Do I need to run a headset with a tall baseplate to insure clearance?
    Should I consider a "mixed" headset like a normal king bottom and inset top to get the stack lower?
    Thanks in advance for your help-

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    80 vs 100....up to you, by the fr climbs and st you do, sounds like 80mm and QR sound fine....

getting the front end low, tapered vs regular steerer and qr vs thru axle....how tall are you? how much do you weigh?

sean at vertigo cycles is building bikes with a new 44mm headtube...cane creek is going to be making zero stack headsets for 1 1/8" and a "mixed headset" for tapered steerers. and, a headset for a full 1.5" steerer that will work with that 44mm headtube...

the king mixed headset has to have different boring sized at the top and bottom...soomething like 44mm at the top for the inset and just under 45mm at the bottom for that bottom 1.5" cup....not a huge difference, but enough to make some builders tell you to go somewhere else, i think.

sean makes some bad ass stuff, check out his cross bike on his website and also see mtbr member dRjon's veritgo 29er that uses this 44mm headtube. it is a VERY clean set up.

as for crown clearance, most builders use a short "extension" at the bottom of the headtube so you won't have to run a longer baseplate.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle