mtbr member
    May 2010

Fork for Dillinger?

I'm awaiting delivery of my new Dillinger it will arrive with a rigid fork and I intend to ride it that way for a while but some squishy up front is in the near future. I'm undecided between 100mm and 120mm I do a lot of steep rooty/rocky climbing and then descending the same. I know the bike was designed around 100mm but would a 120mm with good platform or lockout take so much away from climbing? Would it help descending? Anybody care to chime in with their experiences with different forks on the Dillinger would be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm overthinking this but isn't that what the internet and forums are for?

Trail Junkie
    I don't think you will need anything bigger than a 100mm. I enjoyed the 46mm offset of the Rockshox Reba on that frame. The bike is pretty stable on descents with the longish chainstays. I think a 120mm will bring the headtube up a little too high, and it might give you a fit on the climb.

Depending on your trail conditions, you may be swapping out the Dillinger CroMo fork sooner than later. It is a very stiff fork, and I have rode much better as far as comfort goes!

Good luck with the Dillinger, it was one of the most comfortable aluminum frames I ever rode!

Here's mine MK4.

Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    My Mk4 Dillinger is by know is dressed with a F29 set a 100 mm and works very nice, I also like the rigid fork that came with the frame and the geometry feels very near with each of them.
    About the 120mm I do not know, I am not an expert at all but as I always said "... If they took the time and effort to design it to use an particular size of fork, why I should change it..."
    You can also call Chad at Soul Cycles he is a good person to talk to beside he is the owner and he must know the right answer.
    But for sure you will enjoy the frame.
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've tried running my Dillinger with 120 mm up front. I didn't like it at all on technical climbs and it wasn't really noticeably better descending with it. I'd stick with 100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry off topic, but how did you guys like the original rigid fork? I've been thinking off picking one up because of the A-C length.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's nice, cheap. I don't have anything to compare it too, but I enjoyed the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am blown away by my Dillinger. Way smoother and more efficient than any other 29er I've owned or ridden (Niner, Fuji and Chinese Carbon).

Personally, I have a Manitou Tower pro 80mm up front and love it. I'm able to climb WAY better on that frame than most of my other bikes and I can't say enough how smooth the ride is...it's almost freaky.

I'd like to try a 100mm up front, but just didn't have that available at the time of build (and still don't), But for now I'm incredibly happy with it just as it is.

Have fun riding it, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm loving it, this is after a 2400` climb and subsequent descent. 100mm fork is good, I might try it out at 120. I'm also thinking about getting an angleset to slack it out some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fork for Dillinger?-uploadfromtaptalk1340924567185.jpg