Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005

Good job! Folding ExiWolf 2.3 shows its flex

Here it is, again. Not a new tire by any means but a significant one none the less. The 2.3 or 55/50 if yu prefer WTB ExiWolf is now availabe in a folding version as well as the steel bead version. It is a true Aramid (Kevlar) bead, made in a new way that actually spins 8 times as many or multiple strands of Aramid together into one stronger, just as flexible bead. This does not mean that WTB officials are endorsing the use of sealant in this new folder but experience does indicate that it will be much more suited for tubeless application than any previous WTB big wheel tires of the folding variety. As always, WTB says use tire sealant at your own risk.Has the folding Exi shed some weight with this new folding bead? Yes! Not as much as many would have liked but an average of 60 grams a tire is worth mentioning. As many of yu kno, the steel version weighs in at (average) 845grams, with this one undercutting it by a couple ounces. I weighed two tires and with one coming in at 770grams and the other at 790 I think its safe to average the tire at 780grams. Remember this is one big daddy that can really fly in the rough stuff and staple a corner like a European sports car. Getting it under 800grams gets it back to a sexier acceleration capasity while keeping its muscular build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Dang, that's still pretty heavy.

My steel Exi just arrived today. Weight be damned, I'm looking forward to swapping out the front Nano.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Recovering couch patato
    I the bead the only change, or also some compounds and thread?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    My steel Exi just arrived today. Weight be damned, I'm looking forward to swapping out the front Nano.
    I scored a pair of steel Exi's from Nashbar and put one up front replacing a Moto. Haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but first impression is that it's sticking better, and holding on a little harder through the turns. Yep, it's a fatty but I think I like it...

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I the bead the only change, or also some compounds and thread?
    As far as i can tell, the bead is the only change. I'm sure WTB will be putting out some info on this tire soon. Judging from the slight weight loss, it appears that just the bead changed.
    dc1

Recovering couch patato
    BTW, welcome to the forums Don! Please post a pic of the Exi's on your bike if you can, should be a hot setup you're running there (Lenz, Maverick...).
    I thought maybe the lighter, racier tire would also get a softer compound or smoother casing.

Bored
    Are fat tires like having sex with fat girls? Both are fun, but you don't want to admit to doing it?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dc1
    ...WTB ExiWolf is now availabe in a folding version...
    Where can we order them from?

b1umb0y

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Are fat tires like having sex with fat girls? Both are fun, but you don't want to admit to doing it?
    Cough...yes.....

I'll admit it....running Exi (steel bead) on the front and rear is pure heaven...running them with a kevlar would be even better....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

direction?

do you guys run these tires with the rotation arrows front AND rear? Or do you run the rear "backwards"?

luckiest of the unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y

b1umb0y
    I second that. Where?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dc1
    As far as i can tell, the bead is the only change. I'm sure WTB will be putting out some info on this tire soon. Judging from the slight weight loss, it appears that just the bead changed.
    dc1
    I was weighing a prototype folding Exi over at the WTB offices the last week and the weight was about the same as dc1 got 781 grams. It is my understanding that only the bead has changed. They also had the new nanoraptors that use the same Arimid bead as the Exi. And checked out a wheel built up with their new disk only, 28mm wide 29er rim. Looks to be a great combination with the Exi.

mtbr member

Too bad

I hate Stan's and the Exi sheds mud like a fat kid sheds chocolate cake (as in not at all).

I'm still waiting for the 2.5" Weirwolf or 2.4" Moto in 700c K-bead.

Oh yeah, and when is Conti gunna produce a 2.3" 700c Vert Protection?
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Recovering couch patato
    I think an hour's cutting session should turn an Exi into a better mud shedder. I've not really found the right circumstances to test this, but my custom cut Nanoraptor does handle like a more open tread now. Seems to roll faster over tacky soil, and grip less on hardpack climbs. Weighs 35g less also, but I started out with a 714g steel bead version.
    Someone so "tired" of his Exi he'll donate it to science?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    do you guys run these tires with the rotation arrows front AND rear? Or do you run the rear "backwards"?
    My front is following the arrows and the rear is in reverse. It was late when I put it on and I was to tired to swap it around........so I figured I would try it like this for a while then swap it around see which I like best.

Either way that are much smoother than the Moto's they replaced, I'm running 10psi lower with no problems and it really helps take the body jar out of the rigid ride.
    blah blah blah

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    BTW, welcome to the forums Don! Please post a pic of the Exi's on your bike if you can, should be a hot setup you're running there (Lenz, Maverick...).
    I thought maybe the lighter, racier tire would also get a softer compound or smoother casing.
    Well, yu could be right on both accounts, i can't tell from just havin it for a couple days. i don't kno the TPI info but will try and get some of this spec stuff straightend out soon. i do kno the side wall is quite strong, secure if yu will, which is why the tire has a little weight problem. For mtn wheeling in our area or the Rocky Mountains in general this will help alot with side wall cutting problems.

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    no, big girls, like big boys need love too. these 2.3 hugies "demand" to be riden in puplic

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y

b1umb0y
    first check the WTB website...i don't kno if they sell direct. they just hit the U.S. shores and will be at distributors doors quickly, i'm sure.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I take back what I said about the weight.

I just weighed my new steel-beaded Exi 2.3 and it's a heafty 910g! Gaahhh!

Looks like a meanie, though. I'm not going to stress over the added mass until it comes time to buy new rubber.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Harmonius Wrench

A little confused here, please straighten me out

I am not sure, but is dc1 suggesting that this tire has just recently become available in a folding bead? Because I've had my folding bead Exi since the beggining of March. I love it, by the way, excepting that it throws rocks all over the place, if they are small enough! Other than that, I agree it's a grippier tire than I've had in quite a while!

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I am not sure, but is dc1 suggesting that this tire has just recently become available in a folding bead? Because I've had my folding bead Exi since the beggining of March. I love it, by the way, excepting that it throws rocks all over the place, if they are small enough! Other than that, I agree it's a grippier tire than I've had in quite a while!
    g'day Guitar T
    it was interesting to read your note about having been riding the Exi folder since March. i thought, boy did i misunderstand what i was told. so i contacted the tire designer at WTB and asked about the Exi being in a Aramid bead back in March and they were quite sure that the ones i showed in the picture a couple days ago were from a very small batch of samples sent to our shores just last week and were the first ones in the ExiWolf 2.3 X 700c ever made. then i thought to myself that perhaps yu, Guitar T, were ridin the ones for standard wheels and didn't notice that the ones i pictured were for big wheel mtn bikes.....
    whatever the case, i hope this clears up the question on whether they were ever available before and yes sir, they can throw some rock around.
    dc1

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    mr. funk
    for the soil and rock conditions in my area running the rear in the opposite direction of the arrow brings quite a bit better climbing performance. on harder soils i don't think it would be a needed switch as running with the arrows is slightly grippier for braking, as per design.
    dc1

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004

are they here yet?

I've checked all the usual sources and no one has it catalogued yet.

dc1
    Premier
    Jun 2005

Folding ExiWolf where abouts.

Quote Originally Posted by drc
    I've checked all the usual sources and no one has it catalogued yet.
    g'day drc
    when i posted the tires a few weeks ago i had just recieved them from WTB, who in turn had just gotten them off the unloading docks. for them to get to consumers usually takes around three weeks. first their inventoried, then sent to distributors, who then send them to retailers who then price em and get em on the shelfs. i don't think yu'll see em in catalogues any time soon but that does not mean they are not available. i would call your sources and ask for them specifically because if they have ordered them they will kno what your asking for and if not yu'll get the run around, or worse yet they'll say they have em and send yu the steel beaded ones. perhaps calling WTB @ 415-389-5040 will be the fastest way to find out who they have sent them too.......eliminating extra phone calls. hope this helps.....yu should be able to find them soon.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    quality has these tires, i just got a folding nano about two weeks ago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast