Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Flyte C9 build

  1. #1
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824

    Flyte C9 build

    I'm an integrated headset away from having it done. I stopped by the TBS east the other night to get a seat collar and see about headsets. I wasn't unnerved when the guy in the service department said the dealer he'd previously worked for had experienced "many" broken Flytes so they'd dropped the brand.

    Really? Had any Rig's break lately? Dick.

    Anyway, I bought the slim collar like the one on my Ferrous which replaced my broken Rig...

    And headed over to a friend's shop to order my headset.

    Yesterday I installed the American Classic BB I purchased in 1989. It's been bounced around from bike to bike but the bearings are still flawless. It mated up with the 1995 CODA cranks from my M900 flawlessly. Hopefully the headset comes this week.

    Okay then, who's broken a Flyte?

    And what's up with the name "Celsius 9 degrees?" 9c is like 48.2 F which might be bootie and tights weather, but how does that relate to riding or 29ers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  2. #2
    And He was Not
    Reputation: Enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,591
    I had one, it broke. I got a replacement under warranty. BIke handle well, it was extremely stiff. There are NO forks that will clear the down tube.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

  3. #3
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    There are NO forks that will clear the down tube.
    I gathered that after looking at the down tube. Oh well.

    As far as warranty goes, I paid $130 for the frame so if it breaks I'm hoping to have gotten my money out of it first. The only other part that might not swap to a new frame is the headset, but for the ~$60 there it's not too painful.

    For about $200 I've built up a bike and put parts to use that were sitting in the garage.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  4. #4
    SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Reputation: 1 Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,052
    Is Flyte even still in business?

    Have fun.... I guess that you can for $130. If you hate it, you can always "upgrade" to something else.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    71
    Flyte is no longer in business. Rumours abound as to why .

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    I'm an integrated headset away from having it done. I stopped by the TBS east the other night to get a seat collar and see about headsets. I wasn't unnerved when the guy in the service department said the dealer he'd previously worked for had experienced "many" broken Flytes so they'd dropped the brand.

    Really? Had any Rig's break lately? Dick.

    Anyway, I bought the slim collar like the one on my Ferrous which replaced my broken Rig...

    And headed over to a friend's shop to order my headset.

    Yesterday I installed the American Classic BB I purchased in 1989. It's been bounced around from bike to bike but the bearings are still flawless. It mated up with the 1995 CODA cranks from my M900 flawlessly. Hopefully the headset comes this week.

    Okay then, who's broken a Flyte?

    And what's up with the name "Celsius 9 degrees?" 9c is like 48.2 F which might be bootie and tights weather, but how does that relate to riding or 29ers?
    don't go back to that store, please. show them how much business they will lose from all that money you spend there. I bet they will really miss you as a customer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeanutButterBreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillsie
    Flyte is no longer in business. Rumours abound as to why .
    Really? Any juicy ones?

    Fact is, they (he) just straight up went out of business for the reason most companies go out of business. Not enough profits to cover costs.

  8. #8
    BWG
    BWG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    498
    "And what's up with the name "Celsius 9 degrees?" 9c is like 48.2 F which might be bootie and tights weather, but how does that relate to riding or 29ers?"

    6 degrees refers to 26" wheels and 9 degrees to 29ers.

  9. #9
    nor
    nor is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    77
    don't go back to that store, please. show them how much business they will lose from all that money you spend there. I bet they will really miss you as a customer.
    Thats awesome. You must work there or TBS west.

  10. #10
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    don't go back to that store, please. show them how much business they will lose from all that money you spend there. I bet they will really miss you as a customer.
    Well gee. I was going to get my wife a Hi Fi GS for her birthday in two weeks. How many other bike shops are there here in Madison? More than 10. Gary at Village Pedaller will be happy to have the sale. Or Andy at YJ. Or Delmore, well maybe not Delmore, he's batshit crazy these days.

    But it won't be you with an attitude like that.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Well gee. I was going to get my wife a Hi Fi GS for her birthday in two weeks. How many other bike shops are there here in Madison? More than 10. Gary at Village Pedaller will be happy to have the sale. Or Andy at YJ. Or Delmore, well maybe not Delmore, he's batshit crazy these days.

    But it won't be you with an attitude like that.
    paranoid are we? I have no affiliation.

  12. #12
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    paranoid are we? I have no affiliation.

    Neither do I. With so many shops in town, or for that matter in Milwaukee or Chicago, I'll spend my money wherever I see fit. You implied with your "tone" that I don't have more than a few bucks to spend. I'll guess a bit on the low side I'll spend between $3000 and $5000 on bikes and bike related items in the next 12 months for the three of us. Whether it's deals or full retail I'll have the final say who gets my money. If you do work in a shop I pity your customers.

    They can do better than you.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Neither do I. With so many shops in town, or for that matter in Milwaukee or Chicago, I'll spend my money wherever I see fit. You implied with your "tone" that I don't have more than a few bucks to spend. I'll guess a bit on the low side I'll spend between $3000 and $5000 on bikes and bike related items in the next 12 months for the three of us. Whether it's deals or full retail I'll have the final say who gets my money. If you do work in a shop I pity your customers.

    They can do better than you.
    ohhhhkayyyyy? time for someone to sit back and smoke a fatty. and it's not me. or maybe that's the problem, that stuff does make one paranoid.

    my "tone" is just you reading between the lines. jeez louise. lighten up, too much "caffeine"?

    and no I don't work at a shop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •