Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fluid 29/130

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm Fluid 29/130

What 's the word on this fork. I been running a Reba on my Niner SIR9 and it works well for me. But I may be putting together a El Rey with 5" rockers to replace my Turner RFX. Would prefer a 20mm fork if possible. I can use a Reba and upgrade if something better is on the way. I plan to use Hope Pro II hubs so QR or 20mm should not be an issue.

I'm a heavy rider at 260 without gear. Not looking for a FR/DH fork. Yet want something that can handle some tougher trails.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Flight Junkie
    I am thinking of getting one also, but custom made to 120mm (looking at a 4" travel bike). I am also curious about the new Manitou with the greater offset. I'd like to know more about how offset will affect a bike and what head angles work best with more offset.
    ROTOR HEAD

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I'm a heavy rider at 260 without gear. Not looking for a FR/DH fork. Yet want something that can handle some tougher trails.
    The Fluid 29/130 is what's considered the "old" version. Very stiff chassis, mostly due to the 20mm TA. Some folks had (and are still having) great luck with the damper, while others had stiction issues that they couldn't resolve. That fork ran hot and cold for a few years.

But it's largely been rendered obsolete by the new Fluid 29 135. Coil sprung (instead of air on the 130) and open bath damper. Super supple, super tunable, and still with a very stiff chassis for it's weight. Not remotely a FR/DH fork--this is a 4.5lb unit--including the weight of the axle. At your weight it'll be light and flickable.

I've been riding the 135 since October, and you'd have a hard time convincing me there's a better fork out there for aggresive xc/am riding. Mine has been 100% maintenance free since I stuck it on the bike. Took ~2 rides to break it in, and it has been buttery smooth and consistent since then.

And truthfully, if you're gonna run the 5" rockers, this is the only real choice as far as A-C and geo. Fortunately it's a great choice.

Give it a look.

Cheers,

MC

Reviewer/Tester
    Ahhhh...that WB fork is so tempting...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Shovel Ready
    The 5" rocker is still being debated in my mind. 4" would probably do the trick also with the 29" wheel. Do you think they could modify the Fluid 29 135 for 4" travel?

Thanks for the feedback!

BWG
    mtbr member
    Is the Fluid 29/135 available now? If so how much are they and who has them? Thanks.

Shovel Ready

Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    The 5" rocker is still being debated in my mind. 4" would probably do the trick also with the 29" wheel. Do you think they could modify the Fluid 29 135 for 4" travel?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Yes, they can if that's what you decide on.

Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    Is the Fluid 29/135 available now? If so how much are they and who has them? Thanks.
    One other option (that I currently know of) is here.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

RS opinon

Mike -
    you gonna share you impressions of the RS 130 fork you are testing with us? Be interested as to how it compares to the Reba you reviewed a while back and to WB 135 that you ride right now.

Also - I thought I read that RS is making a small batch of these this week - are they all spoken for?

Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside
    Mike -
    you gonna share you impressions of the RS 130 fork you are testing with us? Be interested as to how it compares to the Reba you reviewed a while back and to WB 135 that you ride right now.
    The pseudo Reba rides really nice. Damper is the same as that of a Pike, which means highly adjustable and very dependable. And light. Because it's a QR fork with 130mm of travel, the chassis stiffness leaves a bit to be desired. That's to be expected. Good for non-tech xc or super light riders. Pretty flexy for me (at 180lbs). Couldn't possibly ride it full throttle on my local tech loops. Actually tried. Bled.

Hard to compare it to the WB 135. The TA makes such a dramatic difference in chassis stiffness that they're more different than similar. Very similar in small and medium bump compliance, but the Reba gets overwhelmed quickly (compression spike) on biggish hits, where you hardly notice that same bump/drop/hit with the F135.

Also - I thought I read that RS is making a small batch of these this week - are they all spoken for?
    I can give you a 100% guarantee that that's not true. I've heard rumors and rumblings that they're investigating a new platform, but haven't heard so much as peep about what that means. I'm not holding my breath that we'll see anything like this from RS for another year or so.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

bingo!

"but the Reba gets overwhelmed quickly (compression spike) on biggish hits, where you hardly notice that same bump/drop/hit with the F135"

That's exactly my biggest complaint with my Reba - and I'm having these issues on a hardtail! Local trails are rough, and this fork is stellar at lower speeds, but just gets overwhelmed at high ones.
    So......here's my question for you - would the WB 135 be insane to put on a singlespeed hardtail ? I'm considering dumping my 26in dualie, but need a better fork to make me pull this off. I know a 29 HT still has no rear travel, but my thoughts were if I could get something as nice feeling as my 03 Marzocchi Z1 on my 29er, I just might switch.

Is 135 just WAY too much travel for a HT??? - by the way - I like my bikes slack.

Reviewer/Tester

Wb 135 ?

I have questions for you Mr. Mikesee, sir.

What is this WB fork going to do to my RIP 9 geometry?

[ I already know what it's going to do to my bank account... ]

R...
    It is inevitable ...

So......here's my question for you - would the WB 135 be insane to put on a singlespeed hardtail ? I'm considering dumping my 26in dualie, but need a better fork to make me pull this off. I know a 29 HT still has no rear travel, but my thoughts were if I could get something as nice feeling as my 03 Marzocchi Z1 on my 29er, I just might switch.

Is 135 just WAY too much travel for a HT??? - by the way - I like my bikes slack.
    My $.02 is that anything over ~100mm on a hardtail is just weird. But that's just me. Add ~an inch to the height of your Reba (stick a book under your front wheel to simulate) and see how it looks. There's also the custom option--WB will build the Fluid in custom lengths by request. I've seen 115's, 120's, and 125's come outta there this year.

Cheers,

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    What is this WB fork going to do to my RIP 9 geometry?
    The geo will get a bit more relaxed, but not as relaxed as you'll be with the TA chassis up front eating trails alive...

More details in the email I just sent...

MC

Recovering couch patato
    Mods of MTBR have received a letter from Rockshox management STRONGLY advising against converting the 29" Reba to any longer than it's standard travel. It's considered dangerous. Don't do it, even if it SEEMS to work. As logical as riding with a helmet, really. Reba is an XC fork. I suppose I myself would not "XC" on a long travel fork, regardless the sticker on the lowers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a WB fluid 130 on my RIP9, and it amazing. I cant imagine the geometry being any steeper for our New England trails, the A to C seems just right.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    The WB fork looks awesome.

I have to be honest here, $870 seems pretty steep for a fork. Do you guys foresee companies starting to make longer travel 29er forks so the pricepoint could come down to something more reasonable? What's the hold up? It seems there are enough people who want longer travel 29er forks. Maybe I'm missing something here. Is it a design thing? How come longer travel 29er forks seem to be such a confounding feat of physics and engineering?
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

mtbr member
    I am running one..
    well, sort of
    it was a custom version set at 115mm and with the air damper
    it rocks.. I love it

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey mike,

i trust this goes without saying, but i'll ask anyway: are different spring rates available with the coil sprung WB forks? i weight ~ 80 lbs more than you; i can't imagine we'd be happy with the same springs!

Quote Originally Posted by cndkid
    hey mike,

i trust this goes without saying, but i'll ask anyway: are different spring rates available with the coil sprung WB forks? i weight ~ 80 lbs more than you; i can't imagine we'd be happy with the same springs!
    There are currently two different spring kits available. I don't know that actual recommended weight range for either. I do know that the air assist is used to fine tune that weight range.

Best to call them to find out if the springs will suit you.

MC

mechmann_mtb
    mikesee,

did you respond to my message via email? my acct had the wrong email and i just updated it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    The WB fork looks awesome.

I have to be honest here, $870 seems pretty steep for a fork.
    It's definitely not cheap, considering a similar (150mm travel, 32mm stanchions, coil/air, TA) 26" fork like the Z1 costs $600. You have to consider though that these forks are being built in insanely low quantities at this point; it's almost like having a semi-custom frame built. I'm just glad to see WB building them at all, even if the price they have do it for further limits the market.

Regardless, it is an awesome fork, and IMO easily worth the price of admission to the long travel 29"er game.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

WB for a Lev?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    I've seen 115's, 120's, and 125's come outta there this year.
    MC, how do you think a WB Fluid 29 custom built at 115 would sit on a 4" Leviathan? Would the A/C length of a WB 115mm be about the same as a Reba at 100mm?
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member

Just a thought

"but the Reba gets overwhelmed quickly (compression spike) on biggish hits, where you hardly notice that same bump/drop/hit with the F135"

That's exactly my biggest complaint with my Reba - and I'm having these issues on a hardtail! Local trails are rough, and this fork is stellar at lower speeds, but just gets overwhelmed at high ones.

If your local trails are all up hill and then all DH (like mine) speed up the rebound on the DH sections. Should help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast