mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First upgrades for Rockhopper Pro 29er

Alright guys, just bought a 2011 model Rockhopper Pro 29er. What are some of the components I should consider replacing/upgrading? Thanks guys

mtbr member
    I would ride the bike first for a few weeks and see what I didn't like about it before thinking about upgrades.
    My guess would be the flexy wheels.

Lurker
    May 2008
    If you've got money for upgrades why didn't you buy a more expensive bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Well Im not thinking about doubling the price of the bike with new components. More like just trying to weed out some common problems (if any) with the bike. I really havent heard anything negative about the bike except for the wheels. Just any help works. Thanks

Lurker
    May 2008
    I'm not familiar with those wheels but a set of tubeless Stan's is generally a good upgrade if you are trying to cut weight, go tubeless and/or increase durability.

You might also find that a nicer crankset will cut a little weight especially if you convert to 1x9.

I like the Rockhopper, mine is an 08 that I've upgraded over the last 3 years. I don't have many stock parts left. I started upgrading as things were broken and then started cutting some weight and increasing the overall quality level of the parts.
    You bastard.
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I would always look at the most important components first. Shocks are always a good start. If you ride for a long time and and small things are problematic upgrade as they break.

Lurker
    May 2008
    My point about upgrading vs buying a more expensive bike is directly aimed at the fork.

For the ~$500 a Reba will cost you could have gotten a Stumpjumper that is better spec'd all around.
    You bastard.
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NUTT View Post
    My point about upgrading vs buying a more expensive bike is directly aimed at the fork.

For the ~$500 a Reba will cost you could have gotten a Stumpjumper that is better spec'd all around.
    Ditto that. I think most learn this lesson the hard way after buying their first "real" mountain bike. As for upgrades, the wheels AND tires are probably the best place to start on your bike, all depending on your terrain and riding style and skill level, of course. Tires really do make a world of difference. I'd also second the 1x9 suggestion above, again if your terrain/skill/style/strength suits it. I'm 1x9 on my stumpy and love it....

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Best upgrade for that bike would be a new brand

Only J/K...

mtbr member
    Use the search and look up "Rockhopper upgrades" in the titles. 16 months ago I did a post with pics with all the upgrades I did on my 2009 hopper. I'm too lazy to look it up for you and link it. I'd do the wheels first, like as soon as I could afford it, then start changing fit parts like stem, handlebars, grips, and seat...if needed. From there, I'd just ride and upgrade when parts wear out or frustrate the devil out of you.

Edit: more specifically, my post was called, "poor man's dream build/rockhopper upgrades".