mtbr member

First ride on Raven 29er 2.2 tires: Awesome!

Just back from my first ride on these, and I have to say that they far exceeded my expectations. They replaced a set of The Captain Control 2.2s (both Ravens and Captains are being run front-and-rear). Most noticeably, they dropped something like a pound of rotating mass off my bike (an alu Racer-X); that's weight you can feel when you heft the bike, and weight you can REALLY feel in the ease with which these spin back up to speed coming out of corners.

The tires are wicked light, thin, and supple. I admit that I was skeptical when I first put them on, as they are indeed near-slick with minimal knobs. But they ride great; smooth and fast, with the low pressure (I ran 25 front/28 rear for my 180lbs) really taking the sting out of roots.

The grip is way better than I thought. I was riding my local loop of twisty, rooty singletrack, mainly hardpack-to-tacky dirt and the occasional puddle. I was a little skittish at first (no knobs doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!) but as the ride progressed I pushed them harder and harder. I'd say they actually stuck better then the Captains, and the suppleness and low pressure allows great grip in rooty or rough turns; they just cling to the trail like velcro, and the low knobs don't squirm or shift the way knobbier tires can when run at low pressure. The only situation where they were noticeably less grippy than the Captains was in really greasy mud (but really what tire works well there?). The rear also broke free a bit more easily than I was used to under hard braking, but this was easy to control, and the loss of traction was gradual and easy to compensate for.

Bottom line: first impression exceeded expectations. We'll see how they do in other conditions and how they hold up, but I'm optimistic!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what did they weigh?

mtbr member
    my Raven 2.2s came in at 480 gms! Yes I said 480, but I prior set came in at 520.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anybody tried them on asphalt ?

please share your opinion...

mtbr member
    Mine weighed 518 and 525 grams.

COMBO - President
    Run the Crows if you are going to asphalt, same tire just less nobby; which in the case of Ravens is already minimal.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    Run the Crows if you are going to asphalt, same tire just less nobby; which in the case of Ravens is already minimal.
    I am going both on asphalt and dirt...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    raven and crow only when its dry... u do not wanna descent whet rocks n roots with those slicks!!

i run a 2.2 mountainking rear and a 2.4 in front in bad weather. feelin more trusty and LIVE

with the extra grams....

but like i said, on dry, fast tracks the crows really do their job....

mtbr member
    Well, I rode them around the parking lot before I started... Definitely a lot smoother than The Captains. I mean, just look at the tread, they are bound to be fast on pavement. I'd probably up the pressure a bit for the road; also, I believe these have some pretty soft-and-sticky rubber, so not sure how durable they'd be on pavement. But they sure roll fast! If you do a lot of mixed pavement/dirt rides I'd absolutely consider these.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    take a roadbike on pavement

the less profile the faster u roll... and run m widda lottta pressure