Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Powered by ice cream.

First ride: Extreme Inbreeding and Mud Content

I’m posting this for my friend.

Just had his first ride on either a 29er, or a SS bike. He says he rode 8 miles, and never had to push the bike.

The photos speak for themselves, but I will give the story of the bike after the photos.

I built this Inbred up for my best friend who is a little bit challenged when it comes to bike mechanics (you can see why). He has had a few injuries (thumb collateral ligament...needed surgery, Collarbone broken) in the last few months, and was fairly down on his prospects of riding again. He just didn’t want to continue to get injured.

He is a great technical rider, and excellent athlete, and it bummed me out to think about him giving up a sport we both loved due to a couple of unlucky crashes.

I realized that his crashes came from a desire to constantly push his limits of speed wise and technically. Riding a dual suspension bike allows you to go fairly fast and when you do go down, it is hard. Additionally, I realized the 26” wheels had a little to do with it as well. I honestly believe 29ers give you an extra margin of safety/communication with the trail before they burn you or break free.

I did some thinking, and decided he needed an SS bike to handicap him a little top speed wise. I added 29” wheels to try to get a margin of safety and security while improving the ride (plus, they rock). Plus the SS would physically challenge him in a way a gearie wouldn’t. Basically, when he rides, he’s a personality that likes to go all out as fast as possible, and be totally worked at the end of a ride. I think SS fits this nicely and keeps the speeds down a little. Finally, he doesn’t like to work on bikes (I do). The SS allows him to neglect the bike more, and just lube the chain and fill the tires with air.

I called him (I live in AZ, and he in KY) to float the idea. His response was “Whatever, just pick me a bike, I trust you. Build it up for me, ride it, test it, then ship it to me. I’m shipping my Titus to you today. Ebay it, and use the funds to build up the new bike. Don’t tell me anything about the bike, just build it and ship it to me...Surprise me.” That’s a lot of trust, but I know him, and how he rides, and he knows I can build a good bike.

Around this time, the 29er Inbred came up for sale. Perfect bike for him. Perfect size and style. Great price for the goods.

Also, since he lives in Kentucky, the Inbred label seemed even more appropriate.

Picked it up, had it a month or so to ride and tune (converted me to liking SS riding), and shipped it to KY.

After only one ride, his comments are that he feels the 29er wheels seem to warn you more when they are in danger of slipping, or starting to slip so you can take action to prevent it. Obviously, this was not an ideal first ride.

My comments: I have never, ever seen a bike with so much mud that could roll. (He said it could roll on the trail, but once the mud dried for a few hours, it was totally stuck fast.) A testament to the workability of SS and discs in this environment. Also, I think he’s a stud to ride 8 miles in that stuff. Plus his photos had me rolling. I had to share.

Way to go stud
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    dude...those pictures are AWESOME

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Bwahahahaha! Great post!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Keep rollin'

Just curious....

but whereabouts in KY is he from?

Only reason I ask is because I am a Kentuckian as well. Far north in Florence, just south of Cincinnati, OH.

This whole area is nothing but slop until late march or mid april. "River muck" or "River slop" kills us riders that live close to the Ohio river.

Oh yeah, I also ride a 29er SS Inbred. Works well in KY, you are correct.

...ic...
    ---What good is a man who won't take a stand?---

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by InnocentCriminal
    whereabouts in KY is he from?
    louavul (Louisville)

In FTF We Trust
    Yeah, I think after about .5 miles of that cr*p I'd be back in front of the fireplace with a good book and an icy glass of beer. Those are the craziest mud pics I've ever seen. Oh, and a question-how do the Mary bars work upside-down? I've been lusting after a pair but riser bars just won't cut it on my bike.
    Last edited by el-cid; 02-13-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot a question
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Yeah, I think after about .5 miles of that cr*p I'd be back in front of the fireplace with a good book and an icy glass of beer. Those are the craziest mud pics I've ever seen.
    I hear you. I never want to move back to the midwest. In AZ, if its raining or wet, we usually just whine, and don't ride.

He's been sort of starved for some bike love if you know what I mean. 3.5 months off the bike, new ride, just had to give it a go. His personality is like that...loves to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    Oh, and a question-how do the Mary bars work upside-down?
    There have been threads about the upside down mary bars. Seems to work fine. I had to set them up that way to get the saddle to bar distance right for him.

Keep rollin'

ahhh....

Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    louavul (Louisville)
    Ahhhhhhh, then he too knows of the "River-muck".

...ic...
    ---What good is a man who won't take a stand?---

Work Shed...
    If that guy can pedal through crap like that, he could probably pedal to the moon! The SS 29er doesnt appear to have slowed him down much at all

what a joke
    boy, you got a real purdy mouth
    blah blah blah

Gold Member

That is good stuff.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Is that really mud... Looks like he rode trough a field of cowmines...

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=el-cid]Yeah, I think after about .5 miles of that cr*p I'd be back in front of the fireplace with a good book and an icy glass of beer.

My thoughts exactly!!!
    On one gear fixed or free is where I want to be.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

queezy

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias/Frost
    Is that really mud... Looks like he rode trough a field of cowmines...
    I can't explain why, but looking at the 'consitancy' of that mud makes me feel slightly sick, yuk!

R I D E S T E E L
    yeah, i'd hate to be the one to upkeep those trails. around Columbus, the trail gurus have been shutting the trails down to riding when they get like that. too hard to repair.

in any event, i hope he enjoys his new ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    those teeth should come with the bike...

Recovering couch patato
    He missed a spot.

Can still see some white.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Good job! He may Be Cazy

In some sick way he is crazy, Thats my bro going thru those KY cowpies and muck... No matter how fast he may have been, he knows his younger Bro in MD is faster and crazier... Looks like we both got the risk taking gene! I will stick to cars and 4x4's he can have the bike.

Poorly Disguised Poser

there seems to be a lot of approval of this thread

Do most of you really approve of riding on trails in that condition?

I know we all want to ride, but one guy doing this causes about 50 others to not be able to ride while they repair the trails around here.

Sorry to be the first to say this, but I see nothing the least bit interresting about the bike with slop on it. Why not show pictures of motorized ATVs covered in mud while destroying our trails (that would be equally interresting to me).

my 2 cents

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    Do most of you really approve of riding on trails in that condition?

I know we all want to ride, but one guy doing this causes about 50 others to not be able to ride while they repair the trails around here.

Sorry to be the first to say this, but I see nothing the least bit interresting about the bike with slop on it. Why not show pictures of motorized ATVs covered in mud while destroying our trails (that would be equally interresting to me).

my 2 cents
    Hear hear! Though impressive, if everyone rode the trails when they were that mucky, we'd have no trails. All that dirt should have never left the ground. It was very short sighted of this guy to out in those conditions.

If I met your friend you with that much muck on his rig coming out of a public use area, I can guarantee you a heated verbal exchange at the least...
    Laek House shirts for sale!
    Support Fledgling American Industries!

jmw
    mtbr member
    nice story and nice ride but very poor judgement to ride a trail and leave w/ that much of it on the bike....
    future nature

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    louavul (Louisville)
    Dude,

You didn't say you were friends with Billy Bob Thornton

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I gotta ask the question

...and maybe I'm setting myself up to look either cruel or a naive idiot, but are those homeboy's real teeth?