mtbr member
    Oct 2007

First Post.....new bike inbound!

Hello All,

Well this is my first post here and since I just ordered a new bike....after much debate, research, and advise I settled on a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29. Should arrive here early next week. Found a good deal on one. Was between the Comp and the Elite...which honestly is more bike than I truly need as a 46 yr old novice mountain bike guy! I have a motocross backround so I "get it", but certainly there is a learning curve! I have an older Rush Carbon 2...XT and XTR Spec....but unfortunately the place that sold it to me some years back fitted me into a MED with a really short stem instead of a Small (read 5' 5") and it just doesnt really work very well for me on the technical stuff that is pretty close to my house. Anyway, looking forward to the new ride. Almost went with a leftover 2013 FSR Comp I stumbled across but ultimately decided to reach for the 2014 Elite when I came across it. If anybody here has any thoughts or experience with the bike it would be great to here from you!

Thanks!
    Last edited by leardriver; 07-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Congratulations on your new bike! I'm a 62 year old rider that just purchased a new 2014 Camber Comp Carbon and I really like it. Being retired means I can ride it every day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leardriver View Post
    Thanks! Good luck with your Camber also. So did your bike come with the "brain" on the rear suspension? If so how is it working for you?

PaulP
    Mine came with the Auto Sag - it has Fox's CTD fork and shock.

First Post.....new bike inbound!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks! Good luck with your Camber also. So did your bike come with the "brain" on the rear suspension? If so how is it working for you?

PaulP

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ok....mine is gonna have the the "Brain" system. I have been told that its awesome and works very well so really looking forward to it. But the truth is that all the suspension technology is really good these days! Your bike looks great!

PaulP

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

PaulP
    I have no idea how my reply got ahead of your question - but see above.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ok....mine is gonna have the the "Brain" system. I have been told that its awesome and works very well so really looking forward to it. But the truth is that all the suspension technology is really good these days! Your bike looks great!

PaulP
    Thanks - I'm sure you'll be very happy with yours too. On mine I manually click the Fox CTD fork and shock levers for each type of riding - not as slick as the Brain, but it's ten times nicer than my 1996 StumperJumper M2FS Comp I replaced.

mtbr member
    Very good choice. I bought this bike originally but the cons outweighed the pros so I returned it and got a very different bike. Don't get me wrong. This bike has so much out of the box.

- The travel and geometry is ideal for somebody looking for an all-mountain setup that can ride trails well.
    - The fork is fantastic for that granular level of control. It's nice and plush when you need it and firm you don't.
    - This is the only non-carbon SJ with the BRAIN. The BRAIN beats everything else in my opinion. It's on when you need it to and off when you don't. Gets rid of pedal bob and brake jack completely.
    - The rear derailleur is fantastic. Crisp and accurate. The front derailleur is decent but you won't need it much since it only has 2 rings up front.
    - The brakes are great. All SJs below this model get the Avid Elixir which are horrible.
    - The dropperpost is nice. Hope you got the one with 125mm.
    - I mated this bike with Shimano SPD 785 (dual sided clips with increased contact area) and it was perfect.

There were 3 major reasons why this bike didn't work for me and I ended up exchanging it.
    - It's too heavy. An AM/trail bike is much too heavy to do bunny hop even with clips without getting fatigued.
    - I ended up saving over $600 when getting my current bike. The dropper post is notorious for needing repairs.
    - It's not as efficient a climber as the Epic. The SJ gives me more confidence going downhill but that's something I can develop with the Epic...I'll have to.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Name is DJ, just picked up a nashbar 29er. I know it's very entry level, but only going to be able to ride once or twice a week. Mainly road bike, this spring my wife and I did a bike tour in Europe, had a few dirt paths and trails, super mellow, but planted the thought of a mountain bike, so I grabbed this.

First Post.....new bike inbound!-img_20140711_153006.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djbkm View Post
    Name is DJ, just picked up a nashbar 29er. I know it's very entry level, but only going to be able to ride once or twice a week. Mainly road bike, this spring my wife and I did a bike tour in Europe, had a few dirt paths and trails, super mellow, but planted the thought of a mountain bike, so I grabbed this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140711_153006.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	907832
    Congratulations - enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks, may have to adjust the bars still have to get it on the trails this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stumpjumpers have been around for a LONG time for a reason.....people like them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I offered to buy my 12 year old son a new bike and he didn't want one - he loves riding my old 1996 StumpJumper M2 FS Comp too much! Below he is with it on our way up Mt Tam.

First Post.....new bike inbound!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well a little update....lets just say that everything happens for a reason! Lol! The Stumpjumper FSR Elite did not work out. Instead I will be the proud owner of a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon! It is WAY more bike than I need right now, that is for sure. But it was presented to me for a price that .....while more $$$ than I have ever imagined spending on a bike....is likely the best deal I could ever have believed. So should see the thing early this week!

Leardriver