mtbr member
    Sep 2018

First Post - New Bike!

I'm new here and purchased my first "real" mountain bike recently as our new neighborhood has 5 miles of trails right from my driveway. There's also a few parks around here with some more serious trails I am sure we will hit. I'm a lean 225-230 and do not like running so figured this is a much more fun way to get some cardio in with the wife.

I have had several cheaper "mountain" bikes in the past and wanted something nice without spending $1,500 per bike. I did a TON of research and picked up a Breezer 29er Storm Comp. I think for the money, it cannot be beat. $700 and you get a quality small company with great history, 34mm 120 travel forks (110mm 15mm), hydraulic brakes and decent components. Also, one of the main qualities I liked in this bike is the tapered head as the forks will probably be the first thing I upgrade.

I did already buy some Forte platform pedals which are really nice!

Here's a link - Breezer Bikes - STORM COMP - Bike Overview

I know I probably do not need to upgrade them, but I like changing and tinkering with things. What would be the best recommended fork for around $300 I can get? Or is this one pretty decent actually?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, opinions, things I could change on the bike, etc.

Thanks!

Here's a pic!First Post - New Bike!-breezer.jpg

Bikesexual
    Welcome! You can do the suntour upgrade to a Raidon aur fork for $200 there is a thread here about it. Google upgrade suntour fork mtbr and you should find it.

The rest, ride a lot to figure out what you will really need/want.

Have fun!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Welcome! You can do the suntour upgrade to a Raidon aur fork for $200 there is a thread here about it. Google upgrade suntour fork mtbr and you should find it.

The rest, ride a lot to figure out what you will really need/want.

Have fun!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Appreciate that, I looked into it a bit. Couple questions:

1. I'd like to keep at least 120mm of travel and I'd like to keep the 34mm size forks.
    2. Would that be a worth-while upgrade over what I have now? I'd be OK with spending a little more for something a good bit better....
    3. Or is the fork on my bike actually pretty decent and I'd have to spend $500 or more for it to be worth it?

jcd's best friend
    I have the Raidon on my Giant Fathom and itís pretty good for its price point. It canít compete with my Fox 34 Factory, but it works very well on the trail. You can internally upgrade it from 100mm to 120mm without it turning into a huge mess.

Out of curiosity, why do you want the additional travel range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek …monda SL6 | Giant Fathom 29 |
    Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that at 230 lb, you're likely too heavy for the spring in the stock fork.
    Do the math.

WillWorkForTrail
    Suntour still has some good forks - I don't think the Radon upgrade is the answer for you though, as that's a 32mm stanchion if I recall correctly. But they certainly have other air sprung forks that have 34mm stanchions and will be more than suitable for you. My first concern, being about the same weight as you when I'm kitted up to ride, is that if you have any significant hills, you'll quickly find the 160mm rotors aren't quite enough. Larger rotors are an inexpensive upgrade, just remember you'll need the right adaptors for the larger rotors as well, so your calipers mate up to the rotor correctly.

jcd's best friend
    I'm 265 lbs and I had no issues with the Raidon fork.
    Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Good stuff, thanks guys! I'll call Suntour to be sure of what all options they have. I def want 34mm stanchions and at least 120mm of travel.

I guess I learned too that the 110mm and 15mm fork/axle combo with a thru-axle is a pretty nice seruo so am glad it came like that!

Question - should I only be looking at air Forks or are there coil Forks that would be a huge upgrade?

jcd's best friend
    Air forks! They have so much more you can adjust and dial in to suit your riding preferences. An adjusted air fork will smooth out your ride while you are on the trail.

Don't forget to pick up a shock pump! I use this one but I am at odds whether I like it or not. I picked it up when it was on sale 2 years ago: https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation...k-Pump-w-Gauge
    Octane One Prone 29

orthonormal
    I have a 2016 RockShox Reba that I only rode 6 times before replacing it with a RockShox Pike. 120mm travel, 110x15mm axle, tapered steerer cut to 7.5". I was getting ready to list it, along with a bunch of other stuff in the classifieds. It would make a nice upgrade compared to the SunTour fork. PM if you're interested.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I have a 2016 RockShox Reba that I only rode 6 times before replacing it with a RockShox Pike. 120mm travel, 110x15mm axle, tapered steerer cut to 7.5". I was getting ready to list it, along with a bunch of other stuff in the classifieds. It would make a nice upgrade compared to the SunTour fork. PM if you're interested.
    Great - I will!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Noticed my wheels say "tubeless ready." Can I go tubeless with current tires?