mtbr member
    Apr 2013

First mountain bike

Hey guys,

Used to be an avid BMX rider back in middle school and high school. I'm now 25 and haven't rode a bike since sophomore year. In any case I am looking at getting back into riding not only for the fun of it but to lose some weight and help with the tendinitis in my knees.

I have a budget of around $1000-$1200. I'm 5'9 and 220 lbs.. I haven't tested any bikes yet as I just started looking online as of yesterday. I am not sure which size bike would fit me best and I've been shopping around Craigslist at used bikes as that seems to be a better deal.

I've been following guides and bike comparisons over the past few days and it seems I've narrowed my interests down to a 29er, preferably a Giant or GT as those are two name brands I am familiar with. I'm thinking in this price range I should stay away from a full suspension bike as I've read they aren't that great.

These are the bikes I've found locally and want to check out. Please let me know what you guys think? Thanks!

Carbon 29er Mt Bike

GIANT 29er 2

Giant XTC 29 Mountain Bike

2012 Giant Talon 29er

mtbr member
    what type of terrain will you be riding? Since you used to be a solid rider, I'm willing to bet that you'll pick it back up quickly once you get back out there. Therein lies the potential problem of buying a hardtail, and 3 months later wishing you had gone FS. i've got nothing against hardtails, just thought i would play devils advocate

make sure youre accounting for the other extraneous costs to be incurred once you get the bug again (shoes, pedals, rack, helmet, gogs/glasses, etc etc)

also, not a doctor, but would a FS be better for knees?
    2013: RM Instinct 970

2012: Pinarello FP Quattro

2011: The last time I had money for anything besides biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi! Welcome! Others may disagree, but I am not a fan of Craigslist. the only thing I can recommend is to test drive each bike for fit and condition....... and make sure that they have original receipt. that is just my $0.02.
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    my girl rides....
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWurm View Post
    what type of terrain will you be riding? Since you used to be a solid rider, I'm willing to bet that you'll pick it back up quickly once you get back out there. Therein lies the potential problem of buying a hardtail, and 3 months later wishing you had gone FS. i've got nothing against hardtails, just thought i would play devils advocate

make sure youre accounting for the other extraneous costs to be incurred once you get the bug again (shoes, pedals, rack, helmet, gogs/glasses, etc etc)

also, not a doctor, but would a FS be better for knees?
    My apologies for not including the type of terrain. I'll be doing trail riding with a 20% mix of pavement riding with the girlfriend. You're absolutely right on a FS bike possibly being better on my knees and if you guys could recommend one that's close to my price range I'd love to check it out. I have no favor towards hardtails, I am just trying to get an idea of which bikes I should be looking at. Funds on future accessories and equipment aren't a problem at all, I just need a bike I can grow with and ultimately my budget is capped at $1500 at this time for a mountain bike, preferably less of course.

I appreciate your quick reply

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbucket View Post
    Hi! Welcome! Others may disagree, but I am not a fan of Craigslist. the only thing I can recommend is to test drive each bike for fit and condition....... and make sure that they have original receipt. that is just my $0.02.
    Definitely understandable about your point of view on Craigslist. If I were to be interested in a bike I'd have it inspected by a local shop to make sure everything checks out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    ditton on craigslist dealings, even though my friend just bought a bike that way. do you have local bike shops in your area? if you forsee this being a new regular hobby, its never a bad idea to buy a bike from them to get some rep/support them. theyll know who you are when stuff goes awry, and it will

***could also see if they have any 2012s on clearance
    2013: RM Instinct 970

2012: Pinarello FP Quattro

2011: The last time I had money for anything besides biking

mtbr member
    How locked into a 29er are you? With your budget you could do a Giant Yukon FX and use the extra money to update it. Just an idea.

Yukon FX (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I do have a local bike shop.. Performance Bike. They have a nice selection but their prices are a little high. I'm not familiar with the aftermarket parts available on these mountain bikes at this point but it's something I am researching as time goes on.

That Yukon FX is a nice bike, Jason. Is that a good starter bike with decent parts on it? I'm not looking at doing 20-30 ft drop offs anytime soon. I'm not locked into a 29er, my options are open! With the smaller tire size of a 26er I can see that being more fun on the trails as it's more agile?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Performance is OK but find yourself a real LBS...preferably one that demos bikes. That way you can demo a wide range of bikes to really see what you like. It is going to be hard for someone online who does not know you to direct you into something you absolutely must ride.

A real LBS may also deal in used bikes too. I do not ever recall seeing a Performance shop sell used bikes...and I have been in my fair share of Performance shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29ers are now pretty well along in geo development. They roll over things, have a good size contact patch and geo for agile handling. You should look at mediums 17.5.
    You can be all in with an Airborne Goblin with a solo air Reba fork. Or save some with a BikeDirect Gravity Point 29 1 and a fork upgrade for more difficult trails. The 2012 Gravity Point 6 has the better dual air Reba and some nice drivetrain components for 1199.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Amazon.com: Diamondback 2013 Recoil Comp 29'er Full Suspension Mountain Bike with 29-Inch Wheels: Sports & Outdoors
    Full suspension 29er in your price range, but I don't think I'd go that route. I'm on a 29er Hard Tail and I personally think it's the best way to go for your budget.

Airborne's Guardian is pretty good at that price, BAMF's Kimura aint bad, Sette Razzo X7, Hell I've seen the SS rigid Carves in that price range too, nice bike, just keep in mind you only have 1 gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Appreciate the info guys. I'm going to spend this weekend trying out some bikes and seeing what fits me best. It seems a 29er hardtail is what I should be looking at like mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Buy new...you never know what kind of abuse the bike was put through! But that's me and my paranoia